RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Central NEW YORK boaters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9801940-central-new-york-boaters.html)

advanced builder 10-30-2012 08:10 AM

RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Craig I was going to say why not team up with the local fly guys aka Rick's crew. for the fuel . We will use boat fuel though. Joe's guys are a little far for us. I still have that 4 GAL box the Pete orders from FHS SUPPLIES. I myself will need a case to start the season with. I believe I went thew 6 gal of the 40% but Bills old new to me rigger were running 50% I kinda like the 40 % ,the 50 % gets to be a problem in the summer heat. Is their a difference between running the two, yes. but not much. Chasing the needle around with 50% more I guess. http://www.fhsoils.com/model.html
http://www.grsboats.com.br/?p=5319
I like how Gil addresses the brass boom tube from pulling out. And how he screw in the boon tubes into the tub. No more sliding boom tube clamps. My work space is never that clean.

Blackout 10-30-2012 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Craig I was going to say why not team up with the local fly guys aka Rick's crew. for the fuel . We will use boat fuel though. Joe's guys are a little far for us. I still have that 4 GAL box the Pete orders from FHS SUPPLIES. I myself will need a case to start the season with. I believe I went thew 6 gal of the 40% but Bills old new to me rigger were running 50% I kinda like the 40 % ,the 50 % gets to be a problem in the summer heat. Is their a difference between running the two, yes. but not much. Chasing the needle around with 50% more I guess. http://www.fhsoils.com/model.html
http://www.grsboats.com.br/?p=5319
I like how Gil addresses the brass boom tube from pulling out. And how he screw in the boon tubes into the tub. No more sliding boom tube clamps. My work space is never that clean.
Yes, going with Rick's fly club is an option. I talked with Lynn about this, but I forget where they get their fuel from. If it's Morgans, they are limited on high nitro fuel options. I am leaning toward Technology Fuels only because it has worked well for me this past season, but Red Max has a great reputation.

What did Pete charge for a gallon of 50% this past season?

engineman351 10-30-2012 10:32 AM

Craig, I think I paid $32 for a gallon for FHS/Red Max 50% this past season. It has been bumping about $2 a gal per year. RC

Blackout 10-30-2012 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig, I think I paid $32 for a gallon for FHS/Red Max 50% this past season. It has been bumping about $2 a gal per year. RC
Thanks, good to know. They are in South Carolina, so not much difference shipping than Florida where Technology Fuels is located. This winter I'll get an idea of what people need and then get a quote. I'd like to have it shipped LTL to Crosman Seeds. Hopefully I can get a good price on shipping.

parshallboatworks 10-30-2012 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Thanks, good to know. They are in South Carolina, so not much difference shipping than Florida where Technology Fuels is located. This winter I'll get an idea of what people need and then get a quote. I'd like to have it shipped LTL to Crosman Seeds. Hopefully I can get a good price on shipping.

Hey guys, the airplane club went in on a bulk order from Pa. They will be doing it soon i will hook us up. 20% was 24$/gal i think.. Pretty sure we can get whatever mixture we want... Several clubs go in and split the gas cost and drive down to pick it up. I will find out the particulars and get the club hooked up!!! Will check on 20% -50% and post when i know. Pretty sure we can save$$$$
Rick
<br type="_moz" />

Billk44 10-30-2012 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

Hey guys, the airplane club went in on a bulk order from Pa. They will be doing it soon i will hook us up. 20% was 24$/gal i think.. Pretty sure we can get whatever mixture we want... Several clubs go in and split the gas cost and drive down to pick it up. I will find out the particulars and get the club hooked up!!! Will check on 20% -50% and post when i know. Pretty sure we can save$$$$
Rick
<br type=''_moz'' />

Keep in mind aircraft fuel generally has less oil than required for boat fuel. Be careful what you run or bye-bye bearings in short order. Especially so for 50% and higher loads.

parshallboatworks 10-30-2012 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: rickyak55it was S&amp;W fuel and we paid 18$ a gal for20%...

Rick
<br type="_moz" />

parshallboatworks 10-30-2012 11:56 AM

I willake sure to ask for boat fuel....

engineman351 10-30-2012 12:22 PM

Rick...I am sure every brand has a 'mix' for different uses. In general, boat fuel has 18-19% oil. I think today most boat fuels use a blend of oil that also has synthetic castor oil as a component. Many 'high' nitro guys are pretty particular on what they use. Generally, the more synthetic the oil, the less varnish build up inside the engine. I've used FHS/Red Max for quite a while because they really have a boat fuel mix...and...it has been a lot cheaper through the Elmira club. Maybe Bill K (billk44) can chime in with his thoughts on fuel as he used to do a lot more nitro than me. Maybe I missed where your flying club gets their fuel, but I, for one, would want to know what was available from them before I ordered any. Thanks, Roger C

Blackout 10-30-2012 12:44 PM

I think this is it. S&W Fuels.

http://www.splube.com/otherapplications.html

The list prices for the boat fuel is pretty expensive. Probably because of lower production volumes.

parshallboatworks 10-30-2012 01:34 PM

I think this is it. S&amp;W Fuels.

The list prices for the boat fuel is pretty expensive. Probably because of lower production volumes.
we ordered bulk allways shoot for at least 100 gal.,

Billk44 10-30-2012 03:08 PM

Rick...I am sure every brand has a 'mix' for different uses. In general, boat fuel has 18-19% oil. I think today most boat fuels use a blend of oil that also has synthetic castor oil as a component. Many 'high' nitro guys are pretty particular on what they use. Generally, the more synthetic the oil, the less varnish build up inside the engine. I've used FHS/Red Max for quite a while because they really have a boat fuel mix...and...it has been a lot cheaper through the Elmira club. Maybe Bill K (billk44) can chime in with his thoughts on fuel as he used to do a lot more nitro than me. Maybe I missed where your flying club gets their fuel, but I, for one, would want to know what was available from them before I ordered any. Thanks, Roger C
Very little if any castor is used in the quality oil blends. Redmax uses the RM 200 (if memory serves me...) which is mostly synthetic. Castor will build up vanish. While producers of nitro are limited, they are not all the same. Just ask any Top Fuel crew chief. The same holds true for methanol. 18-20% are generally used depending on the fuel blender. Technology and Redmax are solid folks. If you deal with someone that is not consistent mixing, you results will be inconsistent or worse. I consistently ran 50% Redmax with no issues especially with needles. Get used to using flowmeters to get your tune suited to weather conditions.

Blackout 10-30-2012 03:12 PM

Yes, just wondering why the list price for 50% airplane fuel is $39.76 and 50% boat fuel is $52.36. Technology Fuels sells 50% boat fuel for $29.00 a gallon before any possible quantity discounts. But, PA is close so you save on shipping.

Billk44 10-30-2012 03:15 PM

Yes, just wondering why the list price for 50% airplane fuel is $39.76 and 50% boat fuel is $52.36. Technology Fuels sells 50% boat fuel for $29.00 a gallon before any possible quantity discounts. But, PA is close so you save on shipping.
Is this the old Cooper's fuels in Easton, PA? If so, their prices were always high and tough to bargain with.

parshallboatworks 10-30-2012 03:23 PM

A member of a Pa club is one who organizes our bulk order... Not thru website, plus its bulk100 gal. If you guys want to look at websight and look up oil and nitro mixture go ahead, i dont blame you. We have been buying this brand for years and had no problems with airplane engines... When you buy boat fuel you buy boat fuel... Not airplane fuel. It is a reputable local company we trust him... Do what you want sorry for all of the controversy...

Blackout 10-30-2012 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Is this the old Cooper's fuels in Easton, PA? If so, their prices were always high and tough to bargain with.
I don't know, but I do remember Lynn mentioning Cooper and S&W....

I'm sure it's good fuel, but I think I will stick with what has worked well for me. Nitro engines can be hard enough as is... ;)

I'll talk to John Otto at Technology Fuels for a price. I'll ask about 40% and 50%. Any other % needed?

Blackout 10-30-2012 03:32 PM

A member of a Pa club is one who organizes our bulk order... Not thru website, plus its bulk100 gal. If you guys want to look at websight and look up oil and nitro mixture go ahead, i dont blame you. We have been buying this brand for years and had no problems with airplane engines... When you buy boat fuel you buy boat fuel... Not airplane fuel. It is a reputable local company we trust him... Do what you want sorry for all of the controversy...
Rick, don't be sorry, you've been very helpful! :)

Edit: We can get prices from both fuel companies. It's quite probable that John Otto won't discount the fuel much at all for larger quantities and then there is shipping....

crombyzombie 10-30-2012 04:49 PM

It would be great to have more fe hydros running! I was beginning to thing I'd have to build something nitro powered!

crombyzombie 10-30-2012 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: crombyzombie

It would be great to have more fe hydros running! I was beginning to thing I'd have to build something nitro powered!
Not that theres anything wrong with thathttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Billk44 10-31-2012 04:17 AM

Matt and Chris Blaker were running Cooper Fuels for several years and you may want to get their feedback.

Just trying to caution folks before making a major buy. Elmira club used to buy in 100+ gallon lots from FHS and that was the best pricing. Shipping to a business is the cheapest. I used to coordinate for Elmira. I guage everything by engine life whether it nitro or gas as the oils hold true for both.

In my past life, we would run 70-75% nitro in control line speed flying. Keep fuel stored in a cool, dark area off concrete flooring for max life. Always keep tightly sealed or the methanol will absorb atmospheric moisture.

advanced builder 10-31-2012 07:06 AM

If we order from Otto ,we can get the nitro glow plugs as well. I'm good for 1 1/2 cards a season . Most of us have been running Red Max for 2 -3 seasons via Pete. I have no problem going to Tech Fuel.

parshallboatworks 10-31-2012 09:09 PM

OK all you pros have anything against using Z-Poxy on INSIDE HULL sealing for GAS boats??? want to save the MAAS for the OUTSIDE.....thanks<div>Rick P.</div>

advanced builder 11-01-2012 06:43 AM

OK all you pros have anything against using Z-Poxy on INSIDE HULL sealing for GAS boats??? want to save the MAAS for the OUTSIDE.....thanks<div>Rick P.</div>
NO

parshallboatworks 11-01-2012 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

NO
Thanks Neil!!!!
Rick
<br type="_moz" />

Billk44 11-01-2012 09:56 AM

You really want to use MAS or West epoxy inside also. These will flow into the nooks and crannies and strengthen the overall. This especially true for rigger tubs. I even use carbon veil in the engine compartment to minimize any chance of separation.