Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Who has flown or Flies a CAP 232 AND has flown a 232 in the Phoenix Simulator?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Who has flown or Flies a CAP 232 AND has flown a 232 in the Phoenix Simulator?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has flown or Flies a CAP 232 AND has flown a 232 in the Phoenix Simulator?

I'm just wondering if this is a realistic flying model in the Phoenix Sim.... It seems like you have to keep your speed up or it falls like a rock!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Who has flown or Flies a CAP 232 AND has flown a 232 in the Phoenix Simulator?

Yep, it's pretty realistic. Caps are known for exactly that characteristic. That's not to say that ALL CAPs behave that way. For example, I once had a GP Cap 580 that was as stable as any other sport plane I have ever flown. On the other hand, I had a hangar 9 cap 232 that would snap in a heartbeat. My point is: in general, CAPs are known to be twitchy and the one on the simulator is a pretty fair representation of the average 232.

Brian
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 PM
CGCINC

Default RE: Who has flown or Flies a CAP 232 AND has flown a 232 in the Phoenix Simulator?

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

Yep, it's pretty realistic. Caps are known for exactly that characteristic. That's not to say that ALL CAPs behave that way. For example, I once had a GP Cap 580 that was as stable as any other sport plane I have ever flown. On the other hand, I had a hangar 9 cap 232 that would snap in a heartbeat. My point is: in general, CAPs are known to be twitchy and the one on the simulator is a pretty fair representation of the average 232.

Brian
Thanks, appreciate the help!

In the Simulator... The CAP will basically "float" if I drop the throttle to 1/4 and it lands Super easy....is this something close to the real thing? Doesthe realthing stall as easy as the simulator one?

I just bought a 40 sized 232 so I've been flying in the sim for the last week. I can do pretty well with it, especially if I relax and use some control but I usually flop it all over the sky at full throttle
These things are Touchy!!.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

Brian
Do you have any suggestions on how to build mine? What about balancing it... Nose heavy?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never thought Caps were unmanageable. Sure, you can firewall the throttle and slam the sticks around, if thats your thing. Not my thing. They fly great. They land great. Just depends on your expectations and your ability. A trainer is a handful for the inexperienced student. Perspective.

A suggestion:
Don't treat the throttle stick like a light switch. It's NOT supposed to be used like a switch where it's either ON or OFF. Not wide open or all the way down to idle. Vary the throttle and learn to fly your Cap - any plane for that matter - at different throttle settings. Just flicking the throttle to wide open on take off and then screaming around the sky at full throttle until the tank is dry gets really boring to me. Learn the slow flight characteristics of your planes. Ever notice how fast a Sig LT-40 Kadet will do an aileron roll at 1/4 throttle? Faster than most people would ever imagine if the control throws are cranked up a little bit.

FYI:
The Cap airplanes owe their lineage to the Piel Emeraude. The first Emeraudes were converted into the Cap-10 models during the early 1960's and the design progressed from sport aircraft, into the fully aerobatic Cap that we know today, over the next few decades. To the best of my knowledge, the Mexican Air Force still uses the Cap-10B as a military trainer. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trick to flhing a CAP is high expo, low throws on the first flights