Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hangar 9 Pulse 60 XT VS Pulse 125 XT for the 2nd plane

I was wondering if someone had an opinion of the 60 or the 125 being the better choice for a 2nd plane. You may have a better option. Let me know you thoughts.
    Thanks
    Randy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 Pulse 60 XT VS Pulse 125 XT for the 2nd plane

Fastflyfish
    I have a Pulse 60XT with a ST90 that I have been flying since Feburary 2010 after not doing any flying for 16 years. The Pulse is highly visable for senior eyes and a delight to fly. The plane is easily transported in a small car with fold down rear seats and easy to store in your shop or garage. Standard servos work well with this aircraft. I use a 6volt 2000mah Nimh battery which are reasonbly priced.
    With the ST90 I fly at half throttle most of the time, and it will still go vertical, and slow down very well for landing. I am sure the Pulse 125XT is a fine plane also, but probably will require larger servos. I feel you would enjoy either one and there has been a lot of discussion on both on the arf thread.

Harvey

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Harvey
    I have never owned a 60 size or larger plane. Is there a big advantage in either of the planes that would make good sense to move up in size
    or should I be looking at the 40-60 size?

Randy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been flying the Pulse XT 60 for almost 2 years now and it is a very fine plane. The 125 size has had reports of weakness in the tail area. Both versions have entensive threads in the ARF section of RCU.

60 thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7013268/tm.htm

125 thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89..._1/key_/tm.htm

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the Pulse 60 and have been flying it for 2 yrs, it is an everday plane. It is a very stable flying plane and a joy to fly, its the plane I take everytime I go no matter what else I bring. I orginally powered mine with an Os 91 2 stroke and now it has an Os 75 ax 2 stroke.
    This plane has a bolt on tail and can be in the air in about 6 hours...
    Wingspam

If I make it look easy then your watching the wrong plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Wingspam,
    Where do you fly?
    I am a member of the Fort Worth Thunderbirds.
    Randy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wrong thread, sorry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was thinking about getting a Pulse 125. I have OS 70 four stroke. I was wondering if anybody use a 70 four stroke in a pulse 125.

thanks for any info 
    \'\'\'\'But who\'\'s going to fly it kid, you?\'\'\'\' Han Solo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Randy. I know your question is in regards to a 60 or 125, but I own a Pulse 40. If the 60 or 125 fly like the 40 you will love either. My main reason for buying the 40 was to be able to use the engine from my Nexstar. I think the Pulse is a great plane, and I am sure you will enjoy it also. There is also a member in our club who is into electrics and he has both a 60 and a 125, so I guess that says something about the plane itself.
    Kevin

Club Saito Member #780

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyingt5150

I was thinking about getting a Pulse 125. I have OS 70 four stroke. I was wondering if anybody use a 70 four stroke in a pulse 125.

thanks for any infoΒ*
    An OS 70 four stroke is great for a Pulse 40 but is way too little for a Pulse 125. For the Pulse 125 you will need at least a 125 four stroke.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pulse 125

Pulse 125 flies very good as I expected. I like the low speed flying characteristics, handles very well. I like doing my maneuvers low and slow. My experiences are not a lot different from those porting on RC universe. Reading their reports can steer you away from certain inherent weaknesses. I.E., Elevator flutter, weak stab and tail area, ETC. Overall finish and quality are very good. Caution. This is not a high speed plane, get something else if this is what you are looking for. There are a lot things that don't measure up. To pay $300.00 and then have to go through the rebuild of the flaws is not good. As long as this plane has been out someone at Hor. Hob. is not doing their homework. But then as long as it is selling?
    To start with the pretty landing gear is the main thing. I had to pitch it and use another one to correct the bad tendencies. It is too flexible, and too low to the ground both allowing for prop strikes, wing tip skids and the wheels are too far back making it tipsy on the ground, even when balanced for flight. Mine tipped up taxiing out for the very first flight destroying a good APC and this was on pavement I don’t think you could ever get off the ground flying off of grass. The tail wheel is junk, the same as Great Planes uses, any hard landing will destroy the rudder, pitch it and get a Dubro tail wheel mount and mount it to the fuselage and be done with it. Glue the tail and fin on don' t depend on the two bolts.
    The motor mount that comes with is marginal, get a quality mount like G. Planes. The two piece wing is great if you have a small vehicle but if vehicle size is not a problem by all means glue the wings together it makes it stronger and eaiser to handle. Then you don't have to worry about losing the wing tube or leaving it at home. Also this will keep oil from seeping between the wings and making the covering come off. Also glue the tail feathers on. Don't depend on those two tiny little bolts to hold them on. Line them up real good and fix them on there permenantly. If you use a two stroke I suggest laying it on it's side or you might have to wind up having to use a pump, plus this gets the exhaust down under the wing. The cute little wing bolts were the wrong thread pitch would not work, had to pitch them and use 1/4/20 which were better anyhow. This plane is very light so you can add a little weight and make it’s life and your’s a lot more bearable by adding tri-stock to beef up around the firewall and wing area and landing gear pad. Mainly and mostly do not overpower this airplane. A 120/25 is more than enough power. Mine can do verticals and hovering until you are tired of doing it. If you read the reviews those who overpower them are losing them. Kept within it's bounds it is a very good flying airplane. I am more impressed with the OS 120 I have on it than I am the airplane. Think maybe it was first designed for a electric. It's just too light, mine weighs ten pounds ready to fly, 120 jerks it around like there is nothing hooked to it.
    Over all on a 1-10 scale I will give it a 7 rating. It's just an OK airplane but I like it for what it is....Would not buy another one though.
    These are just my experiences with it, yours and your needs may be different. I have been flying for quite a while and I kinda have a feel for what it takes to make them live in the real world of flying, taking them out and bringing them back like you took it out.. You cannot make them crash proof but they have to be able to survive a hard landing occasionally... Cheers...

B.DAY

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don'nt even have this airplane yet..... I agree with what you say. From what Ihave read in many threads on this and other forums, The pulse models 60 and 125, are over powered. I mostly fly doing bounce and goes, over and over, some loops, and rolls nothing crazy. I fly off a rough private field.

If I were to get one I would have to turn the gear around, put bigger wheels on, dump the pants, I would go less on the engine requirements, and glue the tail feathers down as well.

If I would get a pulse 60 I would put in a four stroke 70, and carry a go pro hero HDcamera, and If I got a pulse 125 I use the same setup. I fly at a field approx. 1000 feet above sea leave. If Iwere too get Pulse 125 , I wold put a smaller prop to get more Rs. Then I would have a scale takeoff roll Iwould have to think ahead of the airplane.

I looks a good plane, Too bad Sig doesn't have a four star sixtys in a ARF.

Good Discussion.

\'\'\'\'But who\'\'s going to fly it kid, you?\'\'\'\' Han Solo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the 125 and it does have a few issues..The landing gear needs to be moved forward about an inch which isnt that hard if you do it rite at the start while the fuse is empty...Glue the tail on...It is big and not overly strong..Adding flying wires helps. This is not a high speed plane but it is a beautiful flyer. Very relaxing to fly. Lands so easily..
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had over 200 flights on my pulse 60, before its death....I would rank it in my top 5, from all the other.planes I have flown...its death was caused by a newly cycled hydramax battery.....so now its spirit rests in a great planes Escapade....which also flies well.
    Wingspam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Randy, I fly at Texas wings in haslet.
    Wingspam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingspam View Post
    I have the Pulse 60 and have been flying it for 2 yrs, it is an everday plane. It is a very stable flying plane and a joy to fly, its the plane I take everytime I go no matter what else I bring. I orginally powered mine with an Os 91 2 stroke and now it has an Os 75 ax 2 stroke.
    This plane has a bolt on tail and can be in the air in about 6 hours...
    How does/did your Pulse 60 fly with the .75 AX? I'm contemplating the same combo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    TPL33,

This thread hasn't seen any posts for almost years.

B.Day has the right idea. I am not sold on gluing the tail feathers on. There are a few issues you should be aware of.

You need to double check the flight controls for mounted security. They are mounted at the factory and sometimes they can come loose.

I had 2 Pulse XT 60s that were powered by an OS 90 2 stroke. The first one died due to several issues not caused by the plane or it's design. The biggest problem as I saw was that people were over powering the planes and the flight controls cannot take that kind of abuse. Again, it is not a speed machine and shouldn't be flown that way. It is not a full acrobatic airplane and will not take that abuse either.

I never glued the tail surfaces onto the airframe. I still don't this it a very good idea or is needed. The landing gear came off a few times during to some rough landings and took out the horizontal surfaces. I swapped out one broken horizontal surface from the crashed airframe to the good airframe and continued to fly until it happened again. I rebuilt the original surface and was able to bolt it on after the time the gear broke the horizontal surface. I was doing a high speed dive with mostly full throttle on the OS 90 and we think the rebuilt tail surface broke at the fuselage. The other thing we think happened is that I used robart hinges on the rebuilt elevators. There is a spar that runs across the back side of the horizontal surface. If you use CA hinges you are OK but the robart hinged were drilled thru the spar and we think it weakened it. It was a contributing facture in the crash.

Here is my opinion on your proposed set up.

An OS 75 will be good power plant for your set up. It will have enough power but not be too much. Keep the speeds down and don't stress the airplane too much and you will be OK.

Just my 2 cents.