Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Buddy Box Training Vernacular

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Buddy Box Training Vernacular

Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buddy Box Training Vernacular

It's been a decade since I taught someone to fly an RC Trainer, and now I've purchased a buddy cable so I can teach my wife how to fly. Just wondering what experienced trainers say for up and down elevator when using a buddy cable as that can be really confusing for the student. Up Stick, Back Stick, Pull just don't seem to cut it as up stick is a pull or downward movement on the stick. (With a buddy cable, the student does not get the immediate feedback of the instructor moving the sticks as he does corrections.) Left and Right come pretty naturally, but how do experienced trainers communicate elevator control during the flying session?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Buddy Box Training Vernacular

I would sit down for at least a few minutes, and give her a little "ground school"...[8D] Carefully explain the 4 functions of the sticks.

It happens, sometimes, when you say "give it some up"...the student pushes the stick up...[X(] (which obviously, is down elevator )

I typically say "pull back on the stick a little bit" or "pull the right stick back towards you" (mode 2 ) along with "think smooth"...try not to "boing" the sticks...etc.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I teach them right away that you don't hold the transmitter perpendicular to the ground, you hold it flat, or horizontal to the ground.

Now (in mode 2) the right stick is exactly like the stick in a full-scale plane - Back is UP, forward is DOWN, right and left is right and left BANK (or roll)
Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a fun day with two 11 year old boys and my 64 year old sister getting stick time with the trainer. I settled on saying "Pull Up" and "Push Down" and that seemed to work really well. My friend's son probably could have soloed as he picked it up so fast were it not for his friend wanting equal stick time. He listened well, especially to not moving the sticks too much and he did a great job watching the airplane, especially the wing. This is my first time teaching with a buddy cable and it really works well.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the nicest things about a buddy box is that you can put the plane in different positions (quickly )and have the student correct them. It's really surprizing how much they learn from it. I use it all the time and use it as a game, we call it " Fixem ". I've even gotten to where the student can't tell when I flip the switch, ( no click sound ). ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
STEVEB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever terms you use I find consistancy to a most important thing. Changing terms will only confuse all. Prior to letting the student have the plane, I have them place their thumb and forefinger over mine so they will get a physical feel for the small amount of movement it takes to smoothly fly the plane. This has always elicited a response of, "you hardly move the stick at all!". I also consistantly reenforce the concepts of smaller stick movement(s) with steady pressure rather then pulsing, to achieve smooth flight.