Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

About 2.4 GZ equipment

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

About 2.4 GZ equipment

Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Twinhydro
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About 2.4 GZ equipment

Aside from the convenience benefit of not having to obtain a frequency clip , and the added assurance that no one can turn on your frequency why should I re invest in all new radio equipment to get on the 2.4 bandwagon ? Are interference problems on 72 Meg that common ? I just started up flying again and have some decent radios but I am thinking of upgrading to a " Tricker " radio . Thanks for all info in advance !
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: About 2.4 GZ equipment

The way I see it, if you've got 72MHz, go ahead and use it. If you're upgrading, go 2.4

The only exception to this rule would be if you had a LOT of 72MHz receivers and wanted to continue to use them with your new transmitter.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

What Minn said. I myself am doing a slow change over. I have a 9C that is FM and a 10C that is 2.4. So far I only have one plane on the 10C. As time goes on i will eventually go all 2.4. Nice thing about doing it this way. I can plug either module into either radio if there is a problem.

David
Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, as you mention they are the main reasons for going to 2.4. A few others are much smaller rx's with shorter antennas (especially JR/Spectrum). Shorter non-collapsable tx antennas. With JR"Model Match" worth a lot, I think. Dual Rx with Jr/Spectrum with their full range versions.Think that should be sufficeint.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

The rx are less prone to break under impact. Ask me how I know?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

No need to switch if you can get a clear frequency. I changed because I wanted the computer stuff on the 2.4 transmitter.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

i will be staying on 72mhz for a while. i will still use my stylus ,
nice radio just no fancy graph screen. i have the aero and heli cards so i have tons of function/mixes
and i likemy 9c. heck theresgood deals on 72mhz recievers now that makes me happy.i just bought 3 more.

i see no reason to buy a 2.4 yet. who knows what will change in a year or 2. they got to change thing so they can sell new radios/products right.
besides its seems like futaba changes all the time. lookat the 9c. they were updatedto the 9c super. it had softwate the fistshould have had. if you have a highpaying job andwant to keep up with the jones go right a head buy afutaba 14. with all the functions you will never use.

but whenthey come out with a new 10 channel and they will i will buy a 10c then
Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 PM
ron ward

i still have my 4 channel orbit from 40 years ago when i flew as a teenager. to be honest, i wasn't even aware of the new 2.4 stuff until i went looking for new batteries at the local hobby shopto get my relic back up and working, i knew it was old and most likey out-dated, but it worked fine enough for me to get back in the air with....i just figured i'd be, "the guy with the old radio", at the field.that wouldn't have bothered me abit. then i learned about the new stuff and the fantastic programming it gave you, so i thought i'd spring for a new radio..... glad i did, i sure like all the servo programming. you have remember though, this is being saidby a guy that hasn't flown in 40years, so i am barelyany better offthan a brand new flier, now... not someone who has beem flying just fine with the olderstuff and wonders if it'sworth upgrading to.
my advice, like the others', is just use what you have and plan on the 2.4 when you want to get another radio. that said, if your desires are to get a new radio now, go for it, they sure are slick!!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
coxco
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped flying years ago because my equipment kept getting hits and I was loosing planes. I got out until someone came up with a better system. I saved all the planes and heli's I had and when the 2.4 came out I got back in. There are guys at our field that still fly the 72's and there is not as many problems as years ago but they are still getting hits now and again. I have not seen a hit on the 2.4 ever. With the cost of planes now I feal better about 2.4 than any other system.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
johnp793
My Feedback: (30)

One more reason- some of the larger meets are going to all 2.4. If you go to any meet at all, having your plane on 2.4 often means that you don't have to impound your radio, with the hassle of going to get it when you want to fly, and returning it when you're done. And if you haven't gone to any meets, then you are missing some real fun!