Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

CG Sky Tiger fans

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

CG Sky Tiger fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
OkieRCGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Sky Tiger fans

I recently purchased a Sky Tiger from a man who was getting out of the hobby. I managed to get the plane, equipped with an Italian Super Tigre .61, and a 4 ch JR radio for $100.00. He also had a complete field box with electric starter and a large box of assorted parts for another $60.00. I think I made out all right on the deal. The plane itself is a little rough and needs recovering. I took it to the local flying field and several members said the engine looked good as far as bearings and compression go. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to do that. I am fairly new to RC and this is my first "big" plane. I am planning on having it ready to fly this spring and have been promised plenty of coaching and instruction from the local club. I was wondering that since this plane has been out of production for quite some time, if there are many of them left and if there are many fans of it out there.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: CG Sky Tiger fans

The Sky Tiger was updated back in the 80's to become the Tiger II

One of the best fliers ever! Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM
OkieRCGuy

My first attempt at posting a pic. I hope it works.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 AM
OkieRCGuy

Thanks Minnflyer for your input.  I'm itching to get her into the air.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Download the pic to your hard drive, click the post reply button (At the lower, LH side of the last post in any thread) add your text and click the "Click here to upload images"
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
OkieRCGuy

Here we go. Thanks Minnflyer!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86648.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1561222  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

The Tiger 2 is an excellent second step plane after you master a high wing trainer. With a bit of help you should do great.

It lands very slow and steady but will do a lot of aerobatics when you are ready.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
OkieRCGuy

Thanks Tom.  I'm planning on keeping it and  "tweaking" it a little as I gain experience.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you got a great deal!.. From the pic you posted, I dont think you need to recover it, especially if you are new to RC.. .Set up properly, and with the help of some experienced old schoolers, I think you will do very well with this plane. The original version "Sky Tiger" has a flat bottom wing so it flys a lot like a trainer...The updated "Tiger II" has a semisymetrical airfoil and a longer tail moment...Both are excelent flying planes! I would hold off on the new covering job until your done getting some flight time (and perhaps some rough landings...) on her!

-Johnny-
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
OkieRCGuy

Good point, Johnny and thanks for your input.  That's kind of what I was planning on.  By putting some time on it, i'll have time to decide on the new color scheme anyway.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A6.... Looks like you made out very well on the buy! You will love the Tiger, but with that .61, be prepared to fly it at a lot less than full throttle until you get used to it. I have an OS 35AX on mine and at full throttle, it is a fast plane. Also... be wary of aileron flutter problems that many Tiger 2's have experienced. Here's a clip you can enjoy until you get yours in the air!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Msagro5#p/a/u/1/CvWvzBaTnQQ
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 AM
OkieRCGuy

Hello Thai and thanks for your input. I loved the video! I am planning on taking "baby steps" with the Tiger until I get comfortable with it. I'm planning on building other planes in the future, but figure that the tiger will always be my "fun flyer". I'm also planning on building a symmetrical wing for it some day and eventually trying my hand at some aerobatics. Should be fun!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A6, awesome deal. I built one of these when I was a teenager back in 1986. It was my second plane. I had it for many many years.

A couple of things, you have the original. Also, the original did have a semi-symmetrical wing. It has slight curvature from the spar forward, which will help with inverted flight. If I am not mistaken the updated Tiger had more curvature if not a fully symmetrical airfoil.
Also, the .60 is a perfect engine for it. It is a .60 sized plane. If you need to slow it down, other than using the throttle, go with a larger diameter lower pitch prop. Like a 13-4 or 13-5. If that is too much than maybe a 12-5. Lower pitch will make it easier to land. Do not be afraid to get it slow on landing. The wing has a very gentle stall. Get familiar with the engine and make sure it runs good before flying. And remember that a needle setting that is too rich is just as bad or even worse than being too lean, on the high speed needle. It will just load up with fuel and die.

One interesting note, I learned to fly on the original CG Eagle 63. The Sky Tiger was the same airplane, just built upside down with the wing mounted on the bottom. So essentially, it has the same wing loading as a trainer. Very good idea and a great design. You will love it!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 AM
OkieRCGuy

Thanks, Vertical, I really appreciate the input.  The plane has an 11-6 on it now and I was considering a larger prop.  I think I'll go to the 12-5 and then work from there.  Thanks again and have a great one.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
OkieRCGuy

Well, it looks like Spring is almost here and I am chomping at the bit to get the Sky Tiger ready for the flying field!  I still have a few things I need to do to it (Tx/Rx batteries, fuel, new prop, AMA membership, etc........).  Maybe I can get real life to quit biting me on the butt so I can get around to doing the important things in life...........flying!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
OkieRCGuy

Hey guys, I've kind of been out of the loop for a while.  I'm getting closer to getting the Sky tiger into the air (if I can get the weather to cooperate).  While I'm getting some stick time in, I'll be scratch building an Ugly Stik.  Make that 2, my wife wants one too!  Once I get going, I may start a thread on the builds.  Take care all, and keep 'em flying!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a beautiful plane you got. The Sky tiger is one of my favorites and flies really well. I had one for 20 years that served me well with all types of engines on it. I picked up a NIB kit a while back to build a new one.

Enjoy your Tiger.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM
OkieRCGuy

Thanks Scott!  I can't wait to get her up in the air.  Good luck with the kit.  I hope you post a build thread.  I'd love to see that.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
OkieRCGuy

Hey friends.  Getting closer to getting the Sky tiger into the air!    I know it's taken me quite a while, but life keeps kicking me in the teeth.  I have a few apprehensions getting started with a low wing plane, but I think I'll be okay as long as I don't get stupid and try to fly beyond my abilities.  Being on a very limited budget, I'm going to go with what I have.  I have a couple of guys from the local club who are flight instructors who have offered any training and support I need.  There is no way I'd try anything like this on my own, but with the support I've gotten, I know things will go well.  I have just a few more items to purchase and it's off to the flying field.  I'll keep ya posted and try to post some pics.