Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

CG Jr. Tiger

Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM
jag215

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CG Jr. Tiger

Hello, I was at a swap meet last week and I was looking to replace my CG Eaglet with another one, as it is showing some age. Instead, I found this JR Tiger kit. It's specs are so similiar to the eaglets and being a cool looking low wing plane I decided to give it a try. My question: What can anyone tell me about this kit as I searched the internet and found so little on it. Jag215
Old 03-13-2011, 01:13 PM
s. wallace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CG Jr. Tiger

Built one in the early or mid 80's when they were first released. Nice flying little plane with no bad habits, takeoffs and landing were simple.
Dont over power it, what's recommended on the plans is fine. It's a fine second airplane so if you've worn out an Eaglet you are more than ready for this model; of course if you're an experienced modeler just enjoy!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THe Sky tigers wer just low winged versions of the Eagle series. With a semi symmetrical airfoil. I had the original 63" Tiger. Great flying plane, had it for years.
Honestly, you really scored something there and you will really enjoy it I think. It will be more fun than the Eaglet, as it will do a lot more manuevers. I have seen one powered with a weak .40, but if You need an engine, I would look at the hot .32-.36 offerings available now.
Good luck and post some pics.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 PM
DavidAgar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can't miss with any Tiger. Just build it as per plans and instruction book and enjoy it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have both the 63" and had the Jr. The Jr I had flew on a OS .26FS and then a K&B.20. It will even take a .40 but will need tail weight. Keep the CG to the plan. It will fly like your eaglet but will roll and loop much easier. You can keep the tri-gear or even convert it to a tail dragger. I liked Sky Tiger better then the Tiger 2 design because I can take the dihedral out of the wing and really make this plane roll. The Jr is nice because it fits well in the car and is easy to transport.

This is a find because this kit seems to be in demand based on the prices I watch it go for at auction. I got my Jr at an estate sale already put together and then regrettable sold it. I plan to downscale my Tiger 63 plans and scratchbuild a Jr.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Back in the day, those Goldberg kits were really something special. Very revolutionary in their design, with an emphasis on ease of construction, and great flying qualities. It seemed everyone had a Goldberg kit flying in the 80's.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
noveldoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tigers maneuver like a sportster and land like a trainer. Excellent 2nd plane.

Tom
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
thailazer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not familiar with the Junior, but attached is a report (.pdf file) on the Tiger 2. If you have some photos of the Junior, would love to see them to see how much it differs. I built my Tiger 2 with less dihedral than the plans suggested and it flies great. Here's a clip.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWvzBaTnQQ

There are a few more Tiger 2 videos if you hit my YouTube user name.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ec89221.pdf (273.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:49 AM
JMOR06

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
I built and flew one a while back. I started out with an Enya .25ss the plane flew but was not much fun. I re-powered with an Enya .35 and it became an absolute blast to fly. It totally changed everything for the good. The only suggestion I would make is to sheet the horizontal stab, as it is stick built and a little fragile. I liked it so much that when I found another on e-bay I bought it for a future build. I also flew this plane with skis on the snow with no problems.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 AM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have only seen one Jr fly. Back in the 80's a guy had one at my club and he powered it with an old worn out .40. I remember all he did with it was get it really high and spin it all the time. It flew very well.
I bet a good strong modern .25 would be good like an OS FX. Another good choice would be a Thunder Tiger .36. Very strong engine there.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had one 20 years or so ago. Started out with a .25 FP, nice docile flyer. Eventually put a .40 FP on it, and really woke it up! Still easy to fly and land. The bushing .40 weighed about the same as a ball-bearing .25, had a slight power advantage, and was both cheap and reliable.

My oldest son built the kit, and somehow managed to get one wing panel a couple inches longer than the other (his 1st kit) and it still flew fine! He flew it, I flew it, and eventually we traded it for a .22 rifle....
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Chairez

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am looking forset of plans for the CG Jr. Tigre. I have a complete kit, but no plans. Can anyone help with a copy of the plans. I will pay for the copy and postage.
Thanks,
Chairez
Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Chairez

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am looking for the plans for the CG Jr. Tigre. I have the kit, but no plans. Can you help? If you have the plans I would pay for a copy and postage. My email is rest8btf@verizon.net.
Thanks,
Herman
Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Do328jet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Goldberg still sells the plans to the Jr. Tiger. I bought a set about a year ago, it took a bit over a week for shipment, and if I remember correctly shipping was a bit high.

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/...es/cplans.html

Hope this helps.
Dave
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM
KitBuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's on on the classifieds offered on rcgroups..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=jr+tiger
Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 PM
DustBen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jag215

Hello, I was at a swap meet last week and I was looking to replace my CG Eaglet with another one, as it is showing some age. Instead, I found this JR Tiger kit. It's specs are so similiar to the eaglets and being a cool looking low wing plane I decided to give it a try. My question: What can anyone tell me about this kit as I searched the internet and found so little on it. Jag215
Most people in the thread suggest powering the model with .25 to .40 size motors and I recomend likewise. A 4 stroke engine in the .53 to .55 size is great also.

Both this model and the .60 version of it are superb models. I built and reviewed both models when they came out and suggest them not just as a second model, but as everyday fliers.

Someone in this thread suggested sheeting the horizontal stab. I never had a problem with the stick built version...

About the only tricky part of the build is getting the edge radius of the front section rounded to match your canopy. Try to have your canopy trimmed to size, painted, and ready when you sand the radius (IIRC, the canopy radius was much larger than what the plans show.

That cockpit area is huge and open... try to at least mount a pilot in there! Better yet, two pilot busts in tandem look great. But, leaving that ocean of cockpit floor unattended will be something you might regret.

In conclusion... I would NOT overpower this design; it serves no purpose.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had two of them. Flew the wings off both of them. I had an O.S. FP35 in the nose and flew more fuel through them then I care to think about. I actually wore out the piano wire gear. The wheels had worn through most of it and it broke on landing. I saved my money to get it, it was $49.99 at the time. A nice 48 Fs would be a nice engine for it. Something like an ASP, Magnum .32 would be a perfect combo.

Buzz.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 PM
DustBen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I had two of them. Flew the wings off both of them. I had an O.S. FP35 in the nose and flew more fuel through them then I care to think about. I actually wore out the piano wire gear. The wheels had worn through most of it and it broke on landing. I saved my money to get it, it was $49.99 at the time. A nice 48 Fs would be a nice engine for it. Something like an ASP, Magnum .32 would be a perfect combo.

Buzz.
Dang!
I've worn wheels down to the hub or thru the rubber, but never wore a music wire in two!

On the other hand, the Tigers are such rock solid performers that shooting countless touch and goes is inviting.

All things being equal, I'd do another .60 size before the .40... only because it doesn't get pushed around in heavier winds as much.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 PM
fc227

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone one got a main wing they would like to sell /get rid of ? (for the JR)

Search this Thread