Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Phoenix models Super Decathalon

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Phoenix models Super Decathalon

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Gido_22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix models Super Decathalon

I just purchased one of those phoenix models super decathlon since it looked nice and the price wasn't too bad ($109 at tower hobbies) This first pictures is of the box it came in and the contents after i removed them from the box. It looked pretty good, and the packaging was really nice, and after I unwrapped it all i checked to see if I needed to touch up some areas with the iron but to my surprise it didn't need any touching up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47477.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	282450   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10867.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	282451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99198.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	282452  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Gido_22

Default RE: Phoenix models Super Decathalon

Didn't encounter to many problems during the build. The wing didn't have any leads in them to help you guide the servo wire to the middle, so after a bit of messing around I find out the servo wire isn't long enough the reach the hole in the middle of the wing [] or should I say the servos mounts were to far out on the wing, so I had to attach some extensions on them. Other then that the build went pretty smooth. I decided to put a super tigre .75 in it.....slightly bigger then the recommended .46. So i had to replace the engine mount with a bigger one and add some weight to the tail to balance it after I was done building. The total build took me about a few hours. After i was done it looked pretty good. And yes i know the cowl isn't on straight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73590.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	282456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26164.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	282457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69363.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	282458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69271.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	282459  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gido_22,
Nice looking planes. Let us know how it flies.

I see that we're almost neighbors!!! well, at least neighbors in Texoma!!!

Ken
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Gido_22

I took the Decathlon up for the first time today, didn't need to trim it out much. I flies pretty good, very easy to handle and to everybody's surprise at the field will do aerobatics with ease. Did a couple of snap rolls, loops, hammerheads, and knife edges and did them with no problems at all, no tendency to snap at any point, of course this plane doesn't have unlimited vertical and wont do 3D since it wast build for that. Also this plane is very easy to land. This plane would be a nice airplane for a beginner wanting to learn aerobatics, I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner as a trainer. In the end I'm pleased with it and its a nice plane to fly any day and anyone will love it.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

It looks great.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:01 PM
dolsen

Does it have iron on film?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Gido_22

Yea it does, and it didnt need any touch ups after i took it out of the box.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
PE2fan
My Feedback: (8)

How was the balancing with the larger engine? Too much power??
Old 07-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Gido_22

I had to add weight to the back of the airplane to compensate for the increased weight of the larger engine, it was way nose heavy. The power seemed just fine, its faster then the other decathalons at the field and it has increased the distance it will travel vertically, i tended to fly it with the throttle at about 75/80 percent open. i think it was a perfect match for the airplane, other then the fact i had to replace the engine mount.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
dodge_cowboy84
My Feedback: (1)

I'm considering one of these. Is the stars and stripes on the wing stickers or are they printed into the covering? If I get one I'd like to remove them so I can do my own custom job.. Also, how's it fly with the 75? If I get one I'd pour the smoke to it, so I'd need a larger engine to pull the weight.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Gido_22

The stars and stripes are strickers which you can easily remove, as for the .75 engine i think its a perfect match, more then plenty of power to pull the airplane around. Plus the body of the plane is quite large and has plenty of exrta space left over inside for a smoke system after you've installed all the electronics.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:18 PM
dodge_cowboy84

What kind of pitts muffler do you have on the ST? I looked at Tower and all they have is a pitts muffler for the 2300.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:19 PM
j_oly1999

Hey, this is a great airplane, But definitely go with a .61 or bigger engine. I flew mine with a .46 AX and it tokk all that motor had to fly PERIOD. But a .70 Four stroke was very scale in that plane. I see yours had the white under-belly, mine was all red with the White Sunburst. Dodge, If you look on tower you can find a pitts muffler for a super tiger .75/.90, they use the same one. I have a Pitts muffler for a super tiger .75 that was on a Great planes matt chapman cap 580 for three flights(Note to all listening, that plane has a wicked snap when flying a slow knife edge. Third flight I was just getting used to it so I tried a Knife at about half throttle, it snapped all the way to the ground) If your interested in the muffler, I'll make you a good deal. it just needs one of the pipes brazed back on, the brazing gave out when it hit the ground. PM me if you want it CHEAP. If you want to put smoke on it, I'd go with a .91 Four stroke or a saito .82, four strokes smoke better I think, plus the bigger they are, the more smoke you can get.!!!

Just my $0.02 worth
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 PM
dodge_cowboy84

*gears begin to work again*

Thanks!!

Will consider a 4 banger now
Old 10-03-2005, 10:31 PM
markmeijer

Hi j_oly1999 and everyone,

I built this awesome decath with a Thunder Tiger .54s 4 stroke, and also found it to be under powered. I ordered a Thunder Tiger .91 4 stroke tonight and am hopeing for some good results. What do you guys think of this combination? I am worried that it will be too much engine for this plane. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
-Mark
Old 10-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Gido_22

I actually ordered a Magnum .91 4-stroke since i wanted a 4-stroke in it. I also own a .91 4-stroke thunder tiger, which is quite a heavy engine, so you'll need to add alot of weight to the tail to balance it out (thats why i went with the magnum, less weight). Also you'll need to change the engine mount since the one that came with it will be too small. Other then that i think the Thunder Tiger .91 will fly it to the moon, since it is one of the most powerful .91 out there, its equivalent to the saito 100 when it comes to power.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:04 AM
markmeijer

Excelent! Thanks for your opinion Gido_22, I hardly slept last night thinking about this new engine.

I ordered 12oz's worth of stick-on weights, a 14oz fuel tank to replace the 8oz, and a great planes .60-1.20 motor mount. I will be sure to chime in once it is mounted and I have a chance to fly her with the new motor.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
vrodsc
My Feedback: (5)

There are two openings in the fuselage under the fuel tank area. DO you leave then open or block then in.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Gido_22

I left them open, but i guess if you wanna close them that would be fine too.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:38 PM
markmeijer

I blocked mine. I used a light coating of epoxy on a piece of balsa, and I just glued it in. I am sure there are plenty of ways to block them off tho. I personally blocked mine because my exhaust was right there when I had a .54 4 stroke in it, and I didn't want it to make a mess inside the fuse. Now with the.91 the exhaust comes out the bottom to the side of the fuselage.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 PM
V1nn1e

Guys,

These Phoenix models look like the same ARFs that go by the name of Black Horse here in the UK...

From this link go to the Planes drop-down web menu and select Great Planes & Black Horse

http://www.inwoodmodels.co.uk

What do you reckon? BTW, I had the little 46-52 size Extra 300 and it was great - 'till I pranged it trying inverted!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:19 PM
markmeijer

The trim scheme is a little bit different. The Cowl has a different paint job, and the bottom half of the Phoenix version is white.

It looks like Black Horse may put a little more detail into the trim scheme, other than that they are extremely similar. One more thought would be that Phoenix and Black Horse both use the same building plans and thats it. I can vouch for Phoenix, I have the decath, and my friend has the sonic low wing trainer. Both planes are well built.

I have been interested in either the Extra 300 or the Sukhoi as my next easy project.

I have a question regarding black horse...

How much of the building is done for you? The Phoenix models are 90-95% built! I am interested as I see a few black horse planes that are not available as Phoenix Models.

BTW... GIDO_22- Sorry for replying to posts on your thread, just trying to help out a bit where I can...
Old 10-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Gido_22

Thats alright, thats what forums are for......
Old 10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Howdy, all. I'm new to this whole forum thing, and just re-entering the hobby after a 10+ year break. I have ordered, but not yet received, the Phoenix Decathlon and plan to mount my trusty 'ol Saito 65 up front. I notice that most of y'all have bolted up monster engines...is this just a preference (more is better) thing? Or is there a legitimate need for that much power? Any comments, suggestions or words of wisdom?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:12 PM
markmeijer

Originally I had mounted a .54 4 stroke... I have stated that it was underpowered for me, but I am a 25 year old and I don't necessarily want a scale flying plane. I have upgraded the motors on all of my planes except my aerobird (the plane I learned to fly with).

To be perfectly honest with you it flew just fine with the .54 on it. I could do loops, rolls, hammerheads, knife edge (Mine are sloppy as heck). For the vertical maneuvers I would have to pick up some extra speed by descending a bit first. Honestly, if my friend hadn't offered to even trade me with a Thunder tiger .91 4 stroke, I would still be flying with the .54.

As for flying with the .91...

I have mounted it, ran a few tanks through it, but I have not had a good weekend to fly yet. Its been raining a lot in New Jersey. [sm=drowning.gif]

I think you'll be fine with the .65 on there! Good luck, its a BIG plane I love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.