Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Group on line build !

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Group on line build !

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Terry Bolin
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Group on line build !

Hey, we are going to have a "group build" At our club Starting in 4 weeks and it might be a good idea for your group too. 5 of us are gonna build Tiger 2's, 3 others pete-n-pokes and 1 Seniorita to have a reason to get together once a week and help each other along with our kits...Going to try and build one part a week and then have a covering sesson as we go along...This will help the ARF only pilots to get their feet wet and others to share building tips.. Give it a try.. I did this back in the 70's or 80's with Dynaflite Butterflys and we had a blast... We used them for Pylon racing *** What a hoot.
Good luck... Terry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46814.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1580756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83350.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1580757  
Old 03-19-2011, 05:28 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Group on line build !

Great idea! Make sure you use dual aileron servos on the Tiger 2's to avoid flutter which is common on that designs.

You got a big smile out of me about using the Butterfly for pylon racing! How would have thunk that????
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Terry Bolin

It was so crazy to see those big things coming wollering around the corners and trying to get ahead of the others.. We all had to use a non - snerl 25 bushing motor so it would be a cheap build (I think 49 or 59 dollars for a Fox back then) and the only things you could do was light wheels or light covering to really save weight.. We flew those birds for two summers and had a blast.. We also did timed glides with 'em.. see who could stay up the longest after you kill the motor... That was a hoot too. thanks for the reply!
I am also considering adding flaps to my Tiger....what do ya think???I flew one of these years ago but dont remember how they slow down.
If anyone is intrested in the group build, we are going to start your choice of kits in 5 weeks (Gives time to budget money) and I will post each step here to keep ya up to speed with the rest of us!
T
Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhh, a Butterfly named "Rare Bear"!

Regarding the Tiger, I flew a very similar airplane I scratch-built several years ago and added flaps and a speed brake. The flaps did not seem to do much, but the speed brake allowed very steep approaches. It was essentially a hinged piece of faired wood about 4 inches long and as wide as the fuse. Retracted, not much drag, but extended to about 50 degrees on the bottom of the plane just aft of the wing, it caused tons of drag. Was fun to experiment with and I ultimately had one servo for both the flaps and the speed brake. Being on the bottom of the fuse, it did not disrupt airflow over the horizontal stab.

Even without a speed brake, the Tiger 2 slows down just fine if you build it light. Check out my YouTube channel and you can find a few videos of mine flying with a 35AX. Heavier engines move the CG forward which really speeds up the approach speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWvzBaTnQQ
Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Terry Bolin

NOW THAT MADE ME Laugh! Good one...."Rare Bear".... alot of fun things can be done with your idea there...I generally am a very light builder so Flaps may not be needed after all.. The Seniorita in picture weighs 3lbs 2 onuces, the sweet stick weighs 4-1/4 lbs. Thanks for the reply and everyone should get on board with this group build, we will build one part a week and post it in the Kit building section as we go along with some tips and problems you might see...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18578.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1581365  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Terry Bolin

OKAY GUYS, I want to give everyone a chance here to get a Tiger2 or pete-n-poke kit in their hands that want to join in..(Really any kit, those are just what we chose) We have 9 people in our area that are going to build one of these kits starting the 18th of April., We will post each step on line with pics to keep us all moving. I will post the progress in the "KIT BUILDING" section of this site. SO if you want to chime in , order a kit and be ready. We are all gonna post pictures and progress so you might was well have some fun too!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Flyin-Again
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to it!