Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Sr. Falcon

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Sr. Falcon

Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sr. Falcon

Anybody ever flown a Sr. Falcon? How does it fly, I have one I want to get working just wanted to see what people have to say about it.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Sr. Falcon

It is IMHO an EXCELLENT trainer.....many a gray haired (or no hair) pilot of today learned from the Falcon - I personally learned on the Falcon 56, but over the years I trained quite a few on the 'big' one Without a doubt it was and is a great trainer - no flat bottom wing and I felt that helped a lot.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto to what Jerry said. The Sr Falcon was the plane I soloed on back in the 60's

And yes, I'm a grey-haired old pilot!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the best any time any where flying plane I have ever had. I flew mine with a K&B .61 and had more power than I needed. It would reach full speed at half throttle but go near vertical at full. It doesn't spin well (too long coupled) but is rock solid inverted and fly's like its on rails.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

I had one back in the late 80's. I regretted selling it. I recommend it highly and will probably build one in the future.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one for a friend back in the 80's and he ended up giving it to me.. Had the K&B 61 on the front.. GREAT Flying Plane.. However, the stock - very soft/spring gear sure taught me how to land smooth. The plane would bounce back up like it was on water with floats if you did not grease her on the runway..

I also put a nose-wheel brake on the plane - fun for run-up and short take off..
Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I wa on the road (12 years) I had a lot of folks ask me to keep an eye open for one for them. I owned a couple and also the 56's all Great fliers. ENJOY !!! RED

Just a little added story about the Sr. Falcon; Years ago when I was just learning I was flying a Sr Falcon that I had built, it was a pretty plane and I had really put a lot of work into it, my pride and joy at the time.
After someone else test flew it for me I took it up for a couple flights and was really getting into it when all of a sudden I lost it. Never did find out for sure why but probably dumb thumbs.

A couple of the guys went out with me to pick up the remains and on the way out I picked up a plastic bag laying in the weeds ( nobody noticed ~~ so they said ). When we started pic king up stuff they all said I had built the bag into the plane so it would be ready for me. Never did live that one down. The plane did fly again the next weekend.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Good Flying Plane!!! Same holds true off water and snow!

Early Kit version I had a 60 on it, and the new ARF flew fine with an OS FX46 (sport flying).

Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Outstanding airplane! Got one I've been flying since 1974 and I've had few, if any, problems with her. Having been in the air all this time, she shows her age a bit (lost the side sheeting for the engine more than 25 years ago) but she's absolutely never let me down.

Using a OS-.45LA and 11x6 prop she won't go vertical and hang on her prop, but when she had the old Fox-.45 she did. I've got a older (now) computer radio on her that I've interhooked the ailerons & rudder together (aileron control also works the rudder) and I occasionally use the flap function which turns them into flaperons - mostly for things like horizontal "8"s right in front of me (she'll do a 15' circle with flaps & elevator working together).

Anyway, The biggest modification I made when I built her was to give her a flat wing - almost no dihedral at all, and it's always worked for me. Loops, outside loops, rolls, point-rolls, knife-edge, spins - no problems at all.

Pics below show her in the original red/white/blue scheme from 1974 using a Enya .35 which wasn't quite enough power to make her perform decently, but she DID fly with it. Other pics are my baby as she is today with the side-mounted OS45LA & Pitts-style muffler, covered in transparent green & white.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37752.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1590988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74287.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1590989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52505.jpg
Views:	141