Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma

Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
noveldoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma

I have been an electric flight curmudgeon for ages. Just could not bring myself to get away from the stench of burning castor. Not to mention ye olde flip and cuss.

I owe this all to Carl Goldberg models because nearly 25 years ago I tried to enter the world of silent flight by purchasing an Electra “powered” sailplane. Yes folks, it gave me PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma.

Back then their idea of power was an 05 sized can motor with a crude servo operated on off switch control and a 6 sub C NiCad racing car battery. Built the plane, tested the motor set up. It ran and switched on and off.

Went to the field and hand launched. It flew, kind of. Would barely maintain straight and level but absolutely would not climb. Then I tried things like a new wood prop. Flew a bit faster but still no climb. 7 cell battery pack, same result. Still the same after putting in a much more powerful car racing can motor. (That sucker screamed.) Okay, maybe a blip of climb then.

So I lost the battle and my PEST became firmly entrenched. BTW the Electra made a fine glider when I pulled all that stuff out, rebalanced it and shot it up with a High Start.

But have finally gotten my nerve back. Friends at the field are flying electric and their planes do just fine. Have an ARF Kadet Seniorita and bought a set up for it with EFlite 46 power motor, EFlite 60 amp ESC and LiPo. Mr. Electric at my LHS has talked me through it and I will soon have the goodies fitted in my ‘Rita.

Keep you posted. Hope I have found the cure for PEST, just wait 25 years for the technology.

Tom
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 AM
MinnFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma

I know what you mean. Ten years ago I built a Goldberg Electra for my wife. I used a .10 glow engine because I didn't want all the weight of the supplied motor (which was about the size of a trash can). Well, she lost interest so the glider just hung in the garage for ten years.

Then last summer I got a wild hair and I stuck a small outrunner motor on it with a LiPo battery. I had to add a sparkplug socket filled with lead in the nose to make up for the weight of the missing engine! And the little motor pulls the plane better than the engine did!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
TEBerg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: PEST, Post Electra Stress Trauma

I actually got numerious flights out of my Electra. However, one day I launched with a slight cross wind that reversed and I was going down-wind. Well, that just didn't go well with all those flight characteristics you describe[X(]

Funny, for as much as I learned and loved the Gentle Lady, I'm not sad that the Electra is just a tail on the garage wall now...

Search this Thread