Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Quick question about gas setup

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Quick question about gas setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Doclove524
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about gas setup

Going to gas from nitro. I was just wondering the diferences in setting up the tank for gas versus nitro?? Doesnt seem to beany kind of line running from the exhaust to "charge" the tank. Think maybe the carb on the gas motor has a diafram "pump" setup?? So do I still run two lines to the tank?Does it need to be vented or something?
Just curoius on how that is set up on a gas application.

Thanks for any info!!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Quick question about gas setup

The tank setup is the same, but do not run the vent line to the muffler (unless you WANT your plane to explode in mid-air )

Just run the vent out the bottom. Gasser carbs have pumps, so they don't need any help
Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Doclove524
My Feedback: (1)

So the line is just left open to vent the tank and routed out the bottom of the plane. Will fuel tend to leak out during inverted fight?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It will drip a little. Most guys run the vent line up into the tank,make a half loop and then run it out the fuse. I also plug the vent line for transport and storage. It keep the smell down.

David
Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 PM
outdoorhunting

Why couldn't a fella rig a deal up like we used to on our old cars ( flame throwers). I think it would be kinda cool to do some arobatics with flames shooting out the muffler !! I'm sorry, just had that picture in my head !! Hehehe
Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM
WRM

I would like to see that.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doclove524

Going to gas from nitro. I was just wondering the diferences in setting up the tank for gas versus nitro?? Doesnt seem to be any kind of line running from the exhaust to ''charge'' the tank. Think maybe the carb on the gas motor has a diafram ''pump'' setup?? So do I still run two lines to the tank? Does it need to be vented or something?
Just curoius on how that is set up on a gas application.

Thanks for any info!!
MAKE SURE you're using gas lines and a gas compatable stopper.

You can use a T in the main tank line to fuel or run a 3rd line to a fuel dot (i prefer GEM DOTS) and just run that to the tank with a short fuel line and an old clunk.

Also use something, such as bards, or small zip ties, to secure the lines on each and every fitting.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Use a water bottle for your tank. It's easy and it works. It's lighter and you can see through the canopy right into your fuel tank because they are clear. If the clunk line fell off or got wrapped up inside there some how - you could see it, if you were doing your pre-flight checks.

Most guys use a Fiji water bottle. I think they come in 1 liter and 500ml - so roughly 32oz and 16oz.

I found this one in the cooking oil isle at the local grocery store. It had peanut oil inside. It's about 24oz. Works for a 75cc engine.

Grab a nice aluminum stopper assembly. Grab a gas stopper and some tygon or neoprene or other gas fuel tubing and plumb it up. There's no seal on the screw top lid. You can seal the threads with a product called Seal-All. It's a gas and oil resistant sealant in a tube. Hardware store or auto parts store should have it.

This is a 3-line setup. Yellow tygon is the fill line. Thats plumbed to a fuel dot in the side of the plane. Black neoprene line is the main clunk and is plumbed to the carb. Third brass line is the vent. Run your vent out and up behind the tank once. Zip tie a fist sized loop behind the tank. Run the vent line out the bottom of the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77373.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1622353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13218.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1622354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58030.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	92.3 KB