Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Snap Rolls on Take-Off

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Snap Rolls on Take-Off

Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Snap Rolls on Take-Off

Can you do a snap roll on take-off? Not fifty feet up but within the first 20 feet or so? I've been getting mine lower and lower but I am still still several mistakes up.

For laughs, here is the lowest snap roll I have ever seen on YouTube, although not too successful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPy3L...rec_grec_index
Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Snap Rolls on Take-Off

Kinda depends on the power. With excess power authority doing so should be no problem... but if the climb out air speed hasn't much stall margin, then.................
Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure can, if the airplane has enough airspeed and enough ground clearance. When I flew a Super Kaos I used to do them on every takeoff or touch and go at about 5' - 6' off the runway. But I knew that plane well. I knew exactly how fast it would snap and exactly when to release to come out wings level.

Don't yank the plane into the air. Be sure to get the speed up before leaving the ground, you don't want to snap it right into stalled flight.

Sounds like you're on the right track, start with them high and slowly bring them in. But only bring them down when every single snap comes out wings level and in control, you don't want to exit a low snap at unusual attitude or low airspeed.

Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Terry Bolin
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do a midwest sweet stick on take off when it is about 5 foot high.. better have good aileron and rudder throw and my plane is trimmed pretty Straight.. JUst keep practicing and it will feel right as you get more snaps under your belt!
Good luck! T
Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is how I crashed one of my first planes.

I was just taking off and somebody stepped into the field suddenly, who I tried to miss by strong use of rudder.

At that point nobody had explained to me that extreme rudder and elevator inputs so close to the ground are a terrible idea.[]
Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like doing " half snaps " to inverted on take off. That will get the goose bumps up . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 AM
osidak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can do them with an over powered t34 I have- all the control surfaces are huge and I can snap it when I get enough height to clear the wings