Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

escapade flaps?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

escapade flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM
DIVERHERB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default escapade flaps?

Has anyone here tried flaparons on the 40 size escapade? If so how well did they work? Iam in the process of programing my transmitter and while I was at it I was thinking of programing in flaparons to see if it would slow this plane way down without it stalling.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
motoman11
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: escapade flaps?

I have the 40 size plane too depending on your feild where you fly you should not need flaps i bring mine in when i make the runway i drol it down to idle and it will just float in do you fly from a short strip?
hope this helps
Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Lnewqban

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
DIVERHERB

Since posting my question about flaparons I have had the chance to use them on my Escapade. Deploying them on the final landing I can really make a slow approach and landings are much easier. It kinda just floats in.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much flap did you put in? And did yo mix in any elevator? I've been wanting to play with them, but I haven't had the chance yet on my Escapade
Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 AM
DIVERHERB

Ihave them on a 3 postition switch. 1 is 0% 2 is 10@ and 3 is 15%.
I did not mix in any elavator as I wanted to control that myself. It works out pretty good. When I first tried it out I flew it high to see what the effects would be. At full deployment it really slowed the plane alot and added a lot of lift. At the 2nd setting it added very little lift but still slowed the plane. The best part is it had a lot slower stall rate. The plane is really mild mannered in landing now. I also changed the prop to a 11x6 ( I will have to check that to be sure) and it also helped slow the plane when idled back but did not seem to effect wot speed at all. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DIVERHERB

I have them on a 3 postition switch. 1 is 0% 2 is 10@ and 3 is 15%.
I did not mix in any elavator as I wanted to control that myself. It works out pretty good. When I first tried it out I flew it high to see what the effects would be. At full deployment it really slowed the plane alot and added a lot of lift. At the 2nd setting it added very little lift but still slowed the plane. The best part is it had a lot slower stall rate. The plane is really mild mannered in landing now. I also changed the prop to a 11x6 ( I will have to check that to be sure) and it also helped slow the plane when idled back but did not seem to effect wot speed at all. Hope this helps you.
I don't have an Escapade but experimenting with other planes with flaperons and wondering when do you deploy the flaperons? Is that on your downwind leg or just before landing or at touchdown, etc.? Are you manually adding any elevator when or after you deploy them?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I don't have an Escapade but experimenting with other planes with flaperons and wondering when do you deploy the flaperons?
For landings? Never...

I use an elevator to flaperon mix to permit me to force the plane into a high G pull up or flip, practically in it's own length.

If a plane is not designed to include flaps I find that usually they serve no purpose for landings other than to make things a bit more risky due to tip stalls.

I use SPOILERONS frequently, particularly with EDF jets or other fast flying planes, to help kill lift.

On some EDF's and pushers I turn on spoilerons on finals so I can keep the nose up to kill airspeed.

On other planes I only deploy the spoilerons once the wheels touch to prevent the plane from bouncing up and to kill forward speed.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
DIVERHERB

I actually app;y them on my final leg just before lining up with the runway. This does 2 things, it helps to slow down the plane while maintaining enough lift to help prevent stalling.
On the Escapade with the llx4 prop and flaps it will float in on landings making it a breeze to land and making you look like you are really that good at landings
Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

...If a plane is not designed to include flaps I find that usually they serve no purpose for landings other than to make things a bit more risky due to tip stalls.

Are you referring to traditional inboard flaps or full span ailerons set up as flaperons? I don't have an Escapade.

Kurt