Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Weather Delays

Been down for a month with rains and finally got to the flying field today with the Tiger 2 at the ready. Rains were obscuring the mountains to the south so I got one quick flight in and landed to re-fuel. As I got ready to take off again, I saw a rather ominous black roller cloud quite a ways out. Hmmmm, I didn't see anything on weather radar this morning! So up I go to get in one more flight before the rains arrive. After a few minutes thhe winds started to pick up and I was having fun when I heard my wife say the trees were bending over across the fields. One snap roll into the wind and it started to hit hard and I turned downwind for landing, but I had no control of the aircraft. It took a few seconds to figure out that the winds had hit a hundred feet up. I kept it at full throttle and finally got it flying again after about a 100 meters of very tough control. Turned base and final and landed. Ran up to the aircraft and grabbed it just as the first gusts hit. Everything was flying around! Had hard rains for twenty minutes and wind gusts to about 60 kilometers I would guess. After that, the rain stopped, temperature was cool, and it was a beautiful dead calm afternoon for flying off a wet runway! Sure am glad we didn't pack up and go home. Must have been a mini cold front. Finally headed home when we didn't have any fuel left. A good day thanks to a little luck in getting the airplane on the ground fast.
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Weather Delays

Good for you as nothing beats having a great day at the field, especially if the wife or girlfriend came along, and then taking home the model unscathed and in one piece.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Karol. It was pretty amazing how fast this storm rolled in. First time I've seen one of my models in winds that high and I think if I had delayed the landing by 15 seconds, it would have had a different outcome!
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The weather Gods were with you my friend, and maybe just a bit of flying skill thrown in for good measure

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa