Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

making glider wing extensions

I have a Dynaflite Wanderer kit and would like to make a wing extension to bring the total wing length to 108 inches. would carbon fiber be a good choice for spare joiners or thin wall aluminum. what must I consider when attempting this modification ?
    thanks

LRasch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: making glider wing extensions

If you are trying to make a multi-piece wing then plywood, aluminum or carbon fiber would work if done properly, but you must also consider tail surface area, rudder and elevator size would need to increased. The tail length would need to be increased and the nose length would have to be increased or a large amount of weight added to counter the longer tail. It would basically be a redesign and you would be better off just getting something like an Oly II, unless you are doing it simply for the challenge.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome to RCU!

cfircav8r has given you a very good advice.

Consider that the tips don't feel much pressure or flight stresses; hence, super-reinforcements are not necessary.

The main thing to be careful about is to not introduce any wing twisting.

This article explains it better than I can:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...nels/index.htm
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you both for your help. I just wanted a bit more lift, but from what I have read I think I will just build per the plans. I have been out of RC for a long time, about 10 years or more. Just got this old wanderer kit from a friend who received it as a birthday gift many years ago, I have built many of them and *****cats and gently ladies etc. but never attempted to modify them in any way.

thank you again , you guys have averted a catastrophe for me.

lrasch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That plane fly's great in light to moderate lift and you should have a great time with it built stock. Welcome back.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you are right, I used to teach people to fly in the covina /  hacienda heights area of California in the 80s , I always recommended a glider as a first plane. thats why I built so many of them. now I just wanna relax and glide around and maybe teach a kid or two as well.

I am going to look for a bird of time or a cumulus too. I liked them too. had lots of fun with them when I wasnt helping out at tonys hobbys in HH.  I am sad to say though that my favorite means of launching the planes dont seem to be available any more. I would build a simple pod that rubber banded on with the wing and start the 049 black widow or golden bee and give it a toss. it was great, now everything I used is either obsolete or a collectors item now. time marches on I suppose.

Thank you again.

lrasch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I grew up in San Diego's north county. My favorite means of launching was off a cliff or slope. You could fly just about anything, for as long as you wanted, off a good slope.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I lived closer to LA, pretty much flat land and houses with schools scattered around. So I just strapped on a power pod and gave the plane a toss . The pod gave me enough time to find a thermal or two and keep the plane in the air for quite a while. I tried to slope when I moved to oregon , but alas I still like the pod launched school yard flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Planes makes an .049 power pod. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXJ770&P=8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks  but  the pod does not come with an engine , It is only available with  an electric motor. I will have to figure out a way to make my own elec pod, I went to my locale hobby shop and was told no one makes or sells 1/2 A motors any more. The elec motor has pretty much taken over the market. I have what I need to make an elec pod I just dont care for the  weight it adds to the plane.

thank you again for your help

LRasch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The pod on the attachment is for .049's. If you don't have one check the ads, there is usually more than a few for sale on ebay.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Sig pod is easy to replicate and Ebay has an abundant # of 049s. You should pop in to the 1/2 a forum here on RCU
    Yes dear, I did glue my hand to the airplane to keep from dropping it.