Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Giggles-n-Grins Somethin' Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Giggles-n-Grins Somethin' Extra

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giggles-n-Grins Somethin' Extra

Pinch me! Just after the FAAopened up the skies for ******** (some VIP- OBama or something like that - was in the neighborhood)I maidened my SSE (OS 46 AX APC12x5). Only bash was a built up cowl otherwise "out of the box" stock (no - not an ARF- it's a kit). Gotta tell ya Iforgot how much fun these things are. Low rates (not really that low) and everything is "in time". Flip to high rates - oh well, the brain fades out and it takes a couple of seconds to catch up - a full up elevator loop just about gets it done in 2 times its length. Geez.

Just needed a bit of down elev and a tad of right aileron. Beautifully straight and smooth take offs. Pretty decent vertical (maybe an OS55 AX - a fellow club member uses a Saito 115 - but that's another story). Landing? Decent glide path with a bit of flare - nailed 3-points 3 outa 3 times. Ground control - wonderful. Using stock tail wheel - no after market stuff.

Just had to share - this little brat is what sport flyin' is all about.

I should probably take some "RTF"pics ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99725.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	1667234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40651.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	1667235  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giggles-n-Grins Somethin' Extra

I've had a SSE kit up on a shelf in my shop for 3 & or 4 yrs. You've just about got me talked into getting it down & mixing up some glue !! By the way, nice looking plane !!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 AM
yel914

Good looking SSE. I've got another one in my stash also. I should pull that thing out!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 AM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I've had a SSE kit up on a shelf in my shop for 3 & or 4 yrs. You've just about got me talked into getting it down & mixing up some glue !! By the way, nice looking plane !!!
Gotta smile with your response. I was building a Great Planes Extra 300S and managed to destroy the wing in a basement accident. So, since I didn't have anything else on the table, Ilooked around and there was a SSEkit. Em, the rest is history as they say. Just ordered replacement ribs to continue the Extra ...

Hey yel914 - I was at the race track not long ago. Some friends had a stacker trailer and there was this vintage 914/6 racer stored in the top bunk. Yum ... Only downside - it was white - boooorrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
outdoorhunting

The last kit I built was a GP 300S. On the maiden, my buddy was helping trim it out & told me "be carefull now, this thing stalls very easy," just as I backed off the throtle a "little too much"!! Nuff said!!! By the way,SeamusG, do ya think a Super Tigre 90 would be too much for the SSE??? Keep in mind my moto at the bottom of this post..
Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM
SeamusG

The biggest issue I would have with the ST G90 is that it weighs 27 oz. My SSE balances a tiny bit nose heavy with no added weight and the OS 46 AX that chimes in at 17 oz. You'd need to toss 2.5 oz. on the tail. So it'd be 12.5 oz heavier than "stock". Other than that - ya can NEVER have too much HP. Oh, and ya probably need to use a pair of stilts for the LG so as the prop doesn't bounce off the runway
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 AM
yel914

914/6, ohhh nice
I had a Super Tigre .45 in mine and it was noticably faster than others at the field. I tried an OS .46 also, but the ST was more powerfull. I think the cowl on mine had a little to do with the extra speed but maybe I just imagined that. Man I miss that plane[&o]
Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 AM
outdoorhunting

I think I just found the perfect engine for the SSE. Back in the corner of a shelf on my workbench was a Magnum 46. I had it on a 4* 40 & it was way more than enough power. I think I will try something new for me. Don't over-power!!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have a Magnum Pro .46 on mine. What a blast to fly. Perfect match.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:34 AM
outdoorhunting

What kind of verticle did the Magnum get you JollyPopper ? Thanks for the info. That Magnum is the most powerfull little engine I,ve seen, & easy to tune also!!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 PM
skyraider71

I'm about to retire my well worn SSE, thinking about building another one. What a fun plane.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a kit at a local flea market. Crashed my first, sold my 2nd one, and think that someday I'll build this one (the 3rd).

What are the latest mods that folks are doing? I can't recall doing anything drastic to the kit and it flew very nicely out of the box. Just wondering if I had forgotten anything from previous build posts...

Bob
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM
SeamusG

Things that guys do to their poor lil SSEs ...
    [*]Bigger control surfaces probably heads up the list.[*]Adding counters to the elev & rudd.[*]An updated cowl approach. Many toss the standard "cowl cheeks" for either a fiberglass cowl (Fiberglass Specialties for example) or a built up cowl.[*]Many rotate the engine 90 to 180 degrees to clean up the "side view".[*]Some eliminate the flying wires on the fin & stab.[*]Some find an alternative to the "J" hooks used to tie the wings together.[*]Tint the canopy. Modify the canopy profile.[*]Sheet the turtle deck.[*]Add a fuel tank hatch.[/list]
    I used nylon 1/4x20 bolts to replace the "J" hooks. During a 2nd flight of a day I pulled a high rate roll at full throttle. A wing flew off. Em, not good. The nylon bolt had vibrated out of the blind nut embedded behind the wing root rib. I had a conversation with Mike (last name forgotten) who was still flying his '91 SSE. It was the prototype pictured on the box. He was the designer of the SSE. He still used the original "J" hooks. Since then I have seen no need to do anything else - just keep an eye on the #64 rubber band - change frequently.

I have over 30 shortcuts of RCU SSE-related threads. If you're interested, PM me and I'll try to get the list of links to you.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:45 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, SeamusG,

There are a few ideas there, thanks. I think I'll keep the standard control surfaces and not sheet the turtledeck. I don't recall the fuel tank being a problem to remove if you installed it the way that they recommended.

The counters seem like a nice idea. I've tinted the canopy and that was a nice touch. I don't think I'd remove the flying wires unless I spread some CF down to strengthen the elevator

Thanks... I'd be curious in seeing some of those links that you have,

Bob
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 AM
kerwin50

I had super vertical with mine.
BTW I didn't see night flyer as one of the things people do to SSE's.
Mine was a night flyer till hanger rash got her.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 AM
SeamusG

I'm not familiar with the mods necessary to make a night flier. Please share.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I still have a A-K Models Really Somethin' Extra sitting on the shelf ( 60 sized version of the SSE kit they made for a very short time).

They had changed the name to the 3D Freedom but Im sure Sig was not happy and it was gone from their site soon after...

Finding this thread makes me want to dig it out!

Old Link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=3372

Bill S.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:33 PM
SeamusG

Kool - thanks for sharing
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
zippome

She's a mighty pretty ship you built there SeamusG! Show us some 'In Action" photos.
Zipp

Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Love my SSE's, have 2. After giving up flying for about a year due to excessive crashes the only plane I had to get flying again was my $35.00 SSE including EVO 46 and all servos and 72 MH receiver. Joined new club and their trainer and I set control throws at ther minimum and she became a trainer flew a couple weeks on a buddy cord and was back in business. My second I got from club member that crashed it and did not want to fool with a rebuild so now I have two.

Gary