Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

GP Extra 300 first flight

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

GP Extra 300 first flight

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:49 AM
swify

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra 300 first flight

I bought this extra 300 kit about 4 years ago, built it somewhat sporadically since then but finally finished it off this summer. I powered it with an OS 91 surpass that I bought more than 20 years ago but only fired up a few times. I took it out to the flying field yesterday for its first flight. I had one of the guys give me a hand with it to make sure everything looked good before I the initial flight. Carried the plane to the runway and my helper held the tail and while I revved up the engine. He told me to take off at full throttle to help avoid any torque issues. I got myself prepared and said let it go. I gave it just a touch of right rudder and the plane raced down the runway tracking pretty straight. I gave it some up elevator and it took off after no more than 60 or 70 feet.

Got it up to a reasonable height to check the trim situation, needed a couple clicks of left aileron and one or two of up elevator and it was flying straight and level. I was surprised how fast the OS pulled it at full throttle, I slowed it down to about a bit over half and it still pulled the plane around with authority. This was only my third time flying this season and have been flying a Tiger 2, which is a more docile plane. The extra tracked beautifully and was incredibly responsive. I just did a few circuits of the field and some figure 8s to get a feel of the plane and then brought it in for a landing. I came in a bit too hot and nosed it over on landing breaking the prop but otherwise a successful first fight. Looking forward to getting some more stick time with this plane, it is a superb flyer and I want to experience its aerobatic capabilities.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2029515   Click image for larger version

Views:	58
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2029517   Click image for larger version

Views:	59
ID:	2029519   Click image for larger version

Views:	226
ID:	2029520  

Last edited by swify; 09-06-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:48 PM
steph69

hi
looks good congrats on a quality build, I have this same kit that I have had for a year think its about time I got it built, I am going to be fitting a dle 20 in mine. good to here that its a nice flyer.
awesome job.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
swify

I was pleased at how well the plane flew, when its overhead you can hear it whistling as it cuts through the air, much like the pylon racers used to sound like after the engine cut out. I went with the dual elevator setup on mine, that's the way to go I think. Plan to get up in the air in the next day or two.