Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

G20ei on a super skybolt biplane?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

G20ei on a super skybolt biplane?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 AM
xtreme1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G20ei on a super skybolt biplane?

G20ei on a super skybolt biplane? what dou you guys think all opinons wanted ..is this enough engine my other choices are 125 saito ,or 1.20 ax.. really lookin to go to gas though..Thanks Ryan
Old 10-26-2007, 07:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: G20ei on a super skybolt biplane?

I have the Skybolt, and I have a G-20, but I haven't use them together. I have to admit that it is an intriguing combination, but that's a lot of weight to put in the nose of that thing. With an OS 91 Surpass, it needs nose weight, but a G-20 is a lot more than it needs.

Of course, you could always compensate with tail weight, but I think a lot will depend on how you want it to perform.

I am currently flying it with a YS 91AC, and I have seen it flown with a Saito 125 and an OS 120 Surpass and all 3 engines make an excellent combo for all-out aerobatics.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM
RACJ

Minnflyer, I have the Skybolt ARF. I was going to use OS91fs but I have OS 120fs without a home. What mods(how hard) to put the OS120fs in this plane??
Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't thing you'll need to do any mods at all. But it might be a good idea to make sure the firewall is securely glued.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own both a g-20 and a saito 1.25. Both are fine engines. I've a 24 oz tank supporting the saiito and an 10oz on the g-20. A normal flight with the saito will consume 18 -20 oz whereas a g-20 will consume about 6 oz. The Saito is turning 9600 with an APC 15-8 and the g-20 9,000 with a 16-6.

My favorite of the two motors is the g-20. It is very easy to start and runs very smooth and economical. The big issues between the two are cowling and weight negatives for the g-20.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Tex Gehman

I put the G-20 in my Goldberg Ultimate which is about the same size as the skybolt. It was a great combo, that is until the ignition system failed during an inverted snap roll after rotation. (Baaaad!) I now use CH ignition and have had lots of flights on a BUSA 1/4 scale EAA Bipe. Great engine now. Mid 9Krpm on a Bolly CF 15/8. Tex.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: RACJ

Minnflyer, I have the Skybolt ARF. I was going to use OS91fs but I have OS 120fs without a home. What mods(how hard) to put the OS120fs in this plane??
Save your 1.20 for another plane.

While the Skybolt WILL fly fine with it, you will NOT be displeased with it's performance with the OS 91 FS, which is how I fly mine.

The ARF is rather light so it does very well with the 91. No problems prop hanging/hovering, although that's not very "scale like"... heh.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Gustof Wind

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a GP Super Skybolt with a ST 90 and currently have one with a ST 75 and it flies very well with itdon't know why you'd want to "over power" it that way??? Whatever you stick on it, if you balance it correctly, it'll fly grrreat!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 PM
$ircra$halot

I have 12 flights on my skybolt with the g-20 on it now and it is holding up well. Believe it or not, I had to add a 2 oz spinner type nose weight, but I put the servos as far back as I could. Move them to the front about 2" and it should balance without weight. It took some mods to mount the g-20, the mounting holes on top (inverted install) interfere with the cabane holders. I made a secondary firewall, epoxied, then bolted it with 1, 6-32 bolt to the original firewall, at the top center. The top engine mounting holes only go through the second firewall and the bolts had to be cut to lenght. The only thing is I've not found a way to mount the cowl yet. The stock muffler only yeilds less then 1/8" clearence. A pitts wrap around won't fit behind the motor, and if I move the engine out 3/4" or so, the cowl is not long enough to reach the fuse. I'm working on a canister type muff with a header pipe I got from B&B specialties to try and get the cowl to work but will probably be a while, I'm out of $. It does fly quite well but does not quite have the power to prop hang at this altitude, 7000' but it does come close. I would send pix but my camera is belly up!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM
BGCombs
My Feedback: (24)

Nothing against the G20ei, I have two of 'em. But I am finishing a Super Skybolt with the DLE 20 and the balance seems perfect so far. Going to start out with a master airscrew 3 blade 14-9 witha tru-turn spinner. added the JTEC pitts muffler and Rexcel onboard tach with a single Hobbico LiFE battery and dual switches. The DLE dropped right into the existing beam mount, with some modifications to allow room for the carb.

Here's some pictures:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68577.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1683144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66907.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1683145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99066.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1683146  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
$ircra$halot

Wish the DLE had been available when I did mine. I really had to hack my cowl up for the side mounted carb of the Zenoah, it looks OK though. Then again on the other side for the exhaust. I wound up using just a header pipe from B&B with a mousse can style muffler. I think the DLE would have given me more of the power I hoped for as well. I did not have to add useless weight though!
Garry