Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Looking for light, 40ish sized plane similar to a Sig Somethin' Extra for electric.

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Looking for light, 40ish sized plane similar to a Sig Somethin' Extra for electric.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for light, 40ish sized plane similar to a Sig Somethin' Extra for electric.

Anyone have any good suggestions? I'm looking for a light plane, preferably an ARF, but a kit will do, for electric flight. I'd like something of about the size of a 40. 50 - 60 inch wingspan type size. I'll probably use some light weight digital servos to try and get the weight down as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:02 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: Looking for light, 40ish sized plane similar to a Sig Somethin' Extra for electric.

I'm a " nitro guy", but I'm sure a H9 Twist 40 would do the job. I don't think you'd need light weight servos, but you could. The Twist is my favorite plane for windy days, calm days just any kind of weather. It's very light & EXTREMELY manuverable ! On high rates it will aileron roll soo fast you can't count them, on low rates it could be a trainer. I've had one for 4 or5 yrs & will never ever be without a Twist ! It is one plane that has NO bad habits. Good luck
Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Looking for light, 40ish sized plane similar to a Sig Somethin' Extra for electric.

The absolute best flying .40 sized sport model ever designed is the Andrews Trainermaster. It was designed by Lou Andrews, the same guy that designed the Aeromaster biplane. The Trainermaster is a low wing fully symetrical design styled to look like a tandem seat military trainer. Kit's are available from Early RC:

http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/id15.html

The last one I built weighed in at 4 lbs, 8 oz. with HS-225 servos and a 600mA pack. Power was an Irvine .36, though I know of some that were powered by up to .51 sized engines. The closest modern design is a Sportster .40, though they usually weigh half a pound to pound more when finished.

I make the claim of best flying based upon 40 years of flying hundreds and hundreds of different models (thankfully other people supplied 95% of the planes I've flown). Google "trainermaster" and you will find out plenty. It was picked as the Vintage RC design of the year a couple years back, so it has lots of fans.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're looking for just a good sport plane, look at the TH Escapade 40 ARF. It comes with mounts for both glow and electric. Good knock-around airplane, and it's cheap.

Bob
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If you're wanting something that performs similar to a Somethin Extra, try a GP Dazzler or Tower Hobbies Uproar. Both come in ARF.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 AM
jimmyjames213

mojo 40 if you are wanting something that can 3d
Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the Phoenix Funstar 40 or the similar lightly structured NitroModels Giles 202 that sells for something cheap like $70. They work for glow...I have the former and my bud the latter. Seems they would be good for electric too with their very light builds. Jon
Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Tower Uproar is a possibility.

I scratch build 'em like farmers grow corn here in Nebraska.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 AM
AA5BY

Light with sixty inch wing... those requirements can be found in the Sig LT-25. It can be built as a trainer or bashed into a sport plane by removing dihedral and doing whatever. It is all balsa so builds very light and comes in at four pounds. It also has hatch for tank that would be suitable for battery compartment. It is a kit... so can be bashed to suit. Wing loading 12-13 oz...
Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM
N1EDM

Hi Arlyn,

I think that he's looking for something more sporty, on the order of a Sig Somethin' Extra. I sorta lost sight of that myself when I suggested the GP Escapde, which is a nice sport plane but not in the same league. Do you have any other thoughts on that?

Bob
Old 12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not convert the SSE ARF or kit to use electric power? Then you have a 40ish sized plane that is a SSE for electric.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM
AA5BY

Yeah I did miss that...

There was an old thread that showed a pretty sporty bashed LT-25.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52...tm.htm#5214279

It had stuck in my mine.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Arlyn, I like what he did to that LT-25. I may copy that finishing scheme, mainly because I don't have an artistic bone in my body and have to plaigerize anything I can find.

As for the 'similar to the Sig Somethin' Extra' suggestions, has anyone recommended the Twist 40 Version II from Horizon Hobby?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...sion-2-HAN2660

Just a suggestion.

Bob
Old 12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

I appreciate all the suggestions, this is a great thread. I am looking for something more sporty with a very thick fully symmetrical wing, but I have to admit that the escapade 40 does interest me. A simple sport plane is always fun to throw around the sky and I don't have one at the moment.

I had a Sig SE about 10 years ago with an OS 50 SX, and I remember that plane was like a trainer at low rates and a blast to fly at high rates, but was a bit too heavy for 3d. I'd like a lighter, electric version of the Something' Extra, but I don't want a profile.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 AM
DustBen

The Escapade is a fairly heavy design and lacks the thick wing you requested.

Take another look at the Funstar
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEDP0#tech

Read the tech notes and see the size of the wing. Plenty of area to support weight (Even at 6 lbs, the wing loading is still in the 16-17 ounce range).

Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
N1EDM

I've had all three planes, an Escapade, Somethin' Extra and the Twist. The Twist has a fairly thick wing. And, I have another SSE in the box). I'd say that the Twist II was closer to the SSE but I have two Escapades (one electric, one glow) and it's a lot of fun to fly as a sport plane, but it's not 3D. The Twist will be pretty light but landing might be tricky in the wind.

All the planes on this thread are good suggestions, IMHO.

Bob
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

May I recommend the Hanger 9 Toledo Special or the Saratoga 40. Both can be either glow or electric.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 PM
DustBen

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

May I recommend the Hanger 9 Toledo Special or the Saratoga 40. Both can be either glow or electric.
Wow... that Saratoga is super pricey!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I agree, but they are some of the finest ARF's on the market. I have the Toledo Special finished and ready to fly and the Saratoga is a winter project.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
brickwoodward

I flew a SIG Fazer for four years.......neatest plane to fly and practice and do my limited version of 3d with.... finanly broke the rudder doing a series of blenders........i did mod the plans by punching hole in the slab fuse and sheeting it with 1/64 ply.......it was straight......and that rudder held for four years!!!!! wore out the carb on a thunder tiger 46 pro!!!!!!

take care, bill
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
bigedmustafa

If you're looking for an ARF similar to the Sig Somethin' Extra, you will likely enjoy the World Models Fun World 40S ARF:

You'll find the overall dimensions and design to be remarkably similar.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 AM
outdoorhunting

Check out the Twist 40. It can fly like a trainer or do about anything else. It flys well on a calm day & can be an ABSOLUTE blast on windy days!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
poison

how about Hanger nine pulse
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
poison

how about Hanger nine pulse
Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM
blw

Use the link on this page for full plans to the Trainer Master: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=660

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.