Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Phoenix Sonic 25 - The new one is a Great Little plane

I highly recommend the new Phoenix Sonic 25 low wing model. If anyone is looking for a home for a 40 size engine in a good flying sport model this new Sonic 25 low wing is a terrific little plane.

I have not had the previous model but the new GP/EP model is a little different than the description on Towers. It is now designed as a 2 piece wing with dual servos so note it requires 5 servos total for GP... at 52" I leave mine attached but can be taken apart for traveling if desired - it is a little tight for big fingers to get at wing screws but can be done, the motor mount is adjustable so I was able to test fit a OS 4OLA and a GP-42 - both fit fine without any modification or extra work as I have read was necessary with he previous model. The EP mount was also included. The 42 wasn't broken in yet so I tried out a 40 I had just laying around on the workbench and WOW what a surprise. Friends at the field asked "what do you have in that plane and when I told them it was a 40LA they couldn't believe it. At approx 4 lbs the 40 is more than adequate compared to the usual 5-6 lb trainers you usually find them in.

With the 40LA & 10x6 (baffle removed) the Sonic takes off in just a few feet in a very steep climb, great vertical, axial rolls, loves inverted and flies fairly fast compared to many of the sport planes in the sky at our field. I'm sure with a GP-42 or a hot little 40 it would be a screamer.

While not finished as nice as some of the other Phoenix models I have (Decathlon, Tucano and Extra) it is still well built. The hardware was good, build quick (no wing to glue), it's a good looking plane IMHO looks like a Tiger 2 (note covering is just sticky paper USE ONLY Alcohol for clean up - acetone will remove coloring), servo/radio compartment big and easy to move around to get best CG without extra weight, gear is strong, ground handling smooth and precise, easy to see in sky, a good flier, lands gently like a trainer - all in all a great sport flyer and good home for that old left over trainer 40 engine. Specs seem to be very similar to the Escapade but lighter build and a lb. less. After over a dozen flights over last 2 weekends everything is still like new. For $89 at Tower I give it a thumbs up
    Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Phoenix Sonic 25 - The new one is a Great Little plane

I can't wait for mine. It's coming this Wednesday and I also have a 46LA that was too weak and boring for my trainer Avistar.
    It's great to have someone with the same engine and same plane. You mentioned 40LA, did you mean 46LA?
    Is the Sonic pre-hinged like the other Phoenix models I have built?

Thanks,
    What\'\'s rudder?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my buddy has one with a st 51.... its a nice little plane
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What do you guys think about making it a cruiser. I have a 30fs engine on the shelf. Think that would fly it? I am not looking for a rocket, super speed plane but a cruiser to float around doing touch and goes.

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a 30 would fly it... just enough to putt around
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buzz, for your purpose I'm sure the 30 FS will do fine. I had a TT Lazy Tiger with an OS 26 FS and enjoyed it, but at 4 lbs 4 oz, it struggled sometimes in maneuvers. I crashed it inverted because the combination of flat bottom airfoil inverted and low power made it very marginal to fly that way.

But if you can keep your Sonic to 4 lbs, then with a little more power from your .30, and considering what you want it for, it should be perfect.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is built and tomorrow I am doing the maiden flight with my 46LA.
    It balanced just fine without moving anything. I can't wait.
    It's my 8th plane but it will be the first I will maiden myself.
    Wish me luck

What\'\'s rudder?