Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Dolphin 40

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Phoenix Dolphin 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phoenix Dolphin 40

Last year I put my beloved 10-year-old Goldberg Tiger 2 in a very tall tree, where it still resides. I'm looking for a replacement, and don't want to spend the time to build a kit now that flying season is almost here.

I'm thinking of a Phoenix Dolphin 40. I have a new Enya 53 four stroke, which is looking for a home. Does anyone have experience with the Dolphin? Will the Enya fit between its cheeks? The Dolphin appears to be a clone of the Sig Four Star. Does it fly like the Four Star?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Dolphin 40

Texas rc planes lone star 50.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
bigedmustafa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi JPMacG,

I have built and flown the Phoenix Models Dolphin .40 ARF. I put a Magnum XLS .46A 2-stroke on mine, and it flew wonderfully. The hardware and covering are really terrific. My only issue was with the soft, bendable main landing gear.

I won a pattern competition with mine (sportsman level, of course), and even did some Club 40-style pylon racing. It's a terrific airframe that flies as good as it looks, and it's an outstanding value for the price.

I have been happy with all of the Phoenix Models ARFs that I've flown over the years. I've had the Dolphin 40, two of the SeaBee ARFs (one of RC flying's best kept secrets, really a terrific airplane), the Sonic High Wing, the Sonic Low Wing, and I have a Giles 202 up next on my assembly list.

I would expect you'd have no problem installing an Enya .53 4C to the stock motor mount.

I've seen the Texas RC Planes Lone Star 50 ARF; it would be a nice choice, too. It's pretty much an homage of the Tiger 2, however, and might prove to be a little trickier to mount a four cycle engine on it if the motor mount set up is hardwood rails like the Goldberg it is derived from. Hopefully gmeyer-RCU can clarify that point; I haven't seen the motor mount setup on the Lone Star 50 up close.

Good luck and good shopping!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89296.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1745702  
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks BigEd and and GMeyer. That's very helpful.