Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

best 4 stroke twin?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

best 4 stroke twin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
heatcool3137

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 4 stroke twin?

I'm new on here... who sells a kit or an arf that will take two 4 stroke saito 56's to 72's? I don't care about it being precisely scale, I'm a sport flyer and have always wanted a twin... of course I can't think of a twin cooler than a p-38... looking for ideas for my next project, but I'm not impressed by the big name hobby shop sites these days...
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 AM
tomfiorentino

Default RE: best 4 stroke twin?

Welcome to RCU!

You may want to try that post in the Multi engine forum as the guys there I'm sure would be aware of several options.

Hve fun with your build!

Tom
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Chuck54sd

The Hangar 9 "Twin Otter" might be a good choice.... very stable twin for those size engines.

-Chuck
Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just getting into twins myself. I have about 20 flights on a Hobbico TwinStar with two Thunder Tiger GP28s. My recommendation is to start off with something that you are not highly invested in. You WILL have an engine quit sooner or later, and that can be a real challenge on a twin. I think for my second twin I may build the GP DC3. That might be a good candidate for two Saito 52s.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
heatcool3137

I under stand the risk of losing an engine... that's why I figured on minimizing the risk by using 4 stroke Saitos... They're all I fly... everybody tells me to go electric with counter rotating props... but electric just doesn't do it for me- gotta be four stroke
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true. I have a Saito 72 and 100 and they are both excellent. And I agree with you - electric is just not the same. For me, glow engines are part of the hobby.

I had a few episodes of engines quitting on the twin when they were not well broken in. Actually I lost an engine on my maiden flight. I tried flying on one engine with a lot of rudder, decided that was not going to end well, and shut off the running engine and landed like a normal dead stick. That seems to be the best practice.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
fly24-7

+1 for the Otter. If you're looking for something smaller, try the Tower Hobbies Twinstar. That would be good for the 40-56's. Or Seagull (Horizon Hobbies) has a Twin Comanche that would be good for the 72's.