Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Chainsaw engine on a kitbuilt SR. Telemaster- Firewall question

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Chainsaw engine on a kitbuilt SR. Telemaster- Firewall question

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chainsaw engine on a kitbuilt SR. Telemaster- Firewall question

I am building a Sr. Telemaster and I already have the converted homelite 25cc engine ready to go on it.I just wonder with an engine as heavy as a homelite, do I need to move the firewall back any? I can move it now without a lot of hassle and I would rather do that than have to add weight to the tail. Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you would be smart to move the firewall back. Are you building it as a tail dragger? Nose gear and a gas motor hanging over it makes for some problems sometimes. If you did end up nose heavy you could always mount your servos back at the tail, and move your receiver pack around for balance. I have a GeeBee R2 that balanced out nice with a gas engine after I installed all the servos under the stabilizer.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

I am not building it as a nose gear but as a taildragger. Any ideas on how far back I should move the firewall? I'm thinking maybe an inch, that will still give me room to put a decent size tank in it. Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Captain John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try temporary placement of engine...ect too get the balance close. Capt,n
Old 09-23-2013, 01:29 PM
matthew7532

I built mine with the stock firewall location and used a DLE 20, an engine lighter than your homelite. I moved the elevator and rudder servos to the back of the plane, near the stab. It balance out perfectly, but I did a lot of test balancing during the build to make sure everything would work out right. I also converted the wing into two pieces to make transport easier. Flies like a dream. Needs less than 1/4 throttle for training. You couldn't ask for a better plane.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I built a Sr Telemaster up from a kit for a friend a couple of years ago. He asked that I do "what ever it takes to put the biggest engine possible on it". I chopped the nose back to just 1 inch in front of the windshield, reinforced the fuselage and wing extensively, modified the wing to a 2 piece, lengthened the ailerons inboard 4 inches, mounted the rudder and 2 elevator servos as far aft as I could in the tail and built a heavy duty set of shock absorbing landing gear. Then he brought me a 41CC gasser to hang on the nose. Finished weight was 14 pounds, CG was a little to far forward but manageable. The one and only flight he has made with it to date scared him so bad he has never taken it back to the flying field. You would not have to get as carried away as i did with your smaller engine, but getting as much weight aft from the start would be a good idea.