Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Beginning control line?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Beginning control line?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:25 AM
yapoyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning control line?

Okay, I heard about this from my friend, who heard it from a person in Europe, and I hought it sounded pretty cool, so, i decided to try it out. I have ABSOLUTELYno experience with the hoby and i have absolutely NO idea wha to do, what i need, although i can figuree out how o fly it myself. So where can i buy them (not from online of possible, because my parents don't want to buy it, i'm only 13) what do i need, and how much does the total price for everything add up to? Please explane in detail, because half the things you people talk about i dont know what the heck they are. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM
up_in_smoke

Default RE: Beginning control line?

http://brodak.com/control_line_flying
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

It is a fun hobby. Here are some hints.

Don't get one of those Cox or other plastic jobs. They are heavy, fly like brick and break easily. ARFs work fine for RC but they are a mess for CL.
CL kits are not hard at all to build. And balsa flies so much better. Worth the trouble all the way.

0.49 engine is okay. They are cheap and require a smaller area. If you can afford an engine about .29 to .35 size, do it. Fly much smoother and are much tighter on the control lines.

Start taking off with about 1/2 a tank until you get used to the dizziness. You will with a little time.

As for flying, just read instructions and try it. It is about impossible to have an instructor fly with you here. It can help with a lot of planes to tune for lower RPMs or put the prop on backwards to fly slower.

Good luck and have fun!

Tom
Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still like control line better than RC myself, I started when I was about 12. It is cheaper, you save the price of a radio, and batteries aren't so important. Just to start the motor. You can feel a fast plane when it is really going good. I am sure others will add things. I agree with the previous poster. .049's aren't the best. A .15 is ok, and up to a .35. If the lines go slack and the plane pulls back, you want to hang on tight to save it (and your helper) A big heavy plane will give you a sore shoulder the next day. You may want to check the 'control line' section in this forum too.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Yapoyo- control is very fun and very inexpensive. Get a 1/2A profile kit that has a built up wing. The sheet balsa wing airplanes are good but the built up winged ones fly a little slower. Once you fly one of those you can 'copy' it and make your own for very little money. As mentioned, Brodak Manufacturing has a lot of nice stuff for CL. So does SIG. If you have a hobby store nearby that caters to the CL portion of the market then that is great! The hobby shop folks might be able to direct you to a CL club, too! Here are some of my 1/2A profile planes based upon 1930's racers! I have bigger ones, too.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Edwin

yapoyo,
I'm an instructor at the Austin club on Decker lane, right at the rail road tracks. www.austinrc.org I teach on saturdays normally starting around noon. Come on out and we can talk. I started flying control line when I was a kid too at that age back in mid 60's. Most of the equipment you are looking for can be bought at the swapmeets in this area. Swapmeet season starts in fall and runs through spring. You should be able to find most of the equipment you need, used. We dont do Ukies at our club but I can answer questions and get you started. You can contact me directly through the club web site using the 'contact us' buttons. They will be forwarded to me if you ask to talk to an instructor, or just come on out and see what its all about. I just recently soloed a 13 year old and 14 year old on RC. One of the guys bought all his stuff at the swapmeets.
Edwin
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
AERORICH73

Hi Yapoyo: I sent you an e-mail yesterday. Send me your address, an I will send you a 1/2A kit, etc.

[email protected]
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM
yapoyo

Decker lane? Is the club anywhere near Austin Hindu Temple? I asked my paarents though and they said the'd rather have me teach myself. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Edwin

I have no idea where the hindu temple is. You would be learning on your own anyway with control line, but it wouldnt hurt to get some pointers. Build about 4 or 5 planes, thats about how many you'll be crashing before you get the hang of it. There is a map on our web site that shows where the club is. The .049 size planes will be easier to find fields big enough to fly in. BE VERY CAREFUL WHERE YOU FLY. If someone gets injured due to your flying, you will be liable. You cant control spectators when they walk up and not everybody has common sense. The .35 sized planes need about 60' steel cable control lines. The .049 size can use a strong kite string. I dont remember how long those lines were, but much less than 60'.
Edwin
Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: yapoyo

Okay, I heard about this from my friend, who heard it from a person in Europe, and I hought it sounded pretty cool, so, i decided to try it out. I have ABSOLUTELY no experience with the hoby and i have absolutely NO idea wha to do, what i need, although i can figuree out how o fly it myself. So where can i buy them (not from online of possible, because my parents don't want to buy it, i'm only 13) what do i need, and how much does the total price for everything add up to? Please explane in detail, because half the things you people talk about i dont know what the heck they are. Thanks.
ORIGINAL: Edwin

I'm an instructor at the Austin club on Decker lane, right at the rail road tracks. www.austinrc.org I teach on saturdays normally starting around noon. Come on out and we can talk. I started flying control line when I was a kid too at that age back in mid 60's. Most of the equipment you are looking for can be bought at the swapmeets in this area. Swapmeet season starts in fall and runs through spring. You should be able to find most of the equipment you need, used. We dont do Ukies at our club but I can answer questions and get you started. You can contact me directly through the club web site using the 'contact us' buttons. They will be forwarded to me if you ask to talk to an instructor, or just come on out and see what its all about. I just recently soloed a 13 year old and 14 year old on RC. One of the guys bought all his stuff at the swapmeets.
Edwin

hmm.... your parents don't want to buy it.. yet they want you to teach yourself.. ? and all that said.. you have NO idea where to start. Here's an invite to give you an idea of what to do.. and get a first hand look at whats going on... it would serve you well to at least examine and watch someone run an engine.. there are safety factors involved.. mostly minor.. but nevertheless.. these little planes can and will BITE.... not to mention, your success rate goes up dramatically the more information you can get.

Do a search on YouTube.com for control-line planes... at least you'll get a look at it... and get out to that field.. there's your invite from Mr. Edwin.. which is just saying "come on out and we can talk"... for heaven sake.. you're asking for help... the cavalry is coming... and then you say.. "my parents would rather have me teach myself"..

Although control-line is one of the easier aspects of model aviation... the prospects of a plane lasting more then 30 seconds, or 30 feet for someone with no clue is very very low... so if you're parents want you to teach yourself... either buy 3 kits at a time until you get it.. or buy one kit and alot of wood to copy it a few times... at that rate.. you will be a much better builder before you do fly... the whole point is... take the help... talk to as many people as you can.... and when someone offers help(especially after you ask for it).. accept it and learn... other then that.. I have no clue what/how you expected help if you just turn it down when its offered. Good luck with this hobby... it is a great hobby... one thats lasted many of us for over 30yrs... I started in control line... I did talk to people.. I watched and learned.. and yes I still made alot of mistakes.. but I don't know if I would still be in it, if I had to go it on my own and "teach myself"... there will come a time that you will "teach yourself".. but unless you put some learning tools in front of your nose/eyes/ears... there won't be a thing to learn...
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I started with control line but had a better time with free-flight and then a MUCH better time with R/C gliders and best of all is R/C gasoline.

But, that said, control line is a great way to fly. You'll need a capable model. A powerful engine (use the largest recommended IMHO) and a field box of starter battery, glow-plug igniter, glow-fuel and pump, a few tools like a glow-plug wrench and wrench to fit the prop (and three spare props at least).

Also a roll of paper towels and a squirt bottle of cleaner fluid.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM
jkpape

I have to disagree about avoiding cox control line planes. Both the Chipmunk & PT-19 are very good C/L trainers. We trained my oldest nephew with the Chipmunk. He was flying it after about 4 tries. He was about 8 at the time. My #2 niece had to try it also at the time (she was maybe 5 at the time). She got it off the ground and almost made it around one time before dumping it. :-)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
LouisB

As a kid I had both Cox and Testors. Due to our height above sea level these plastic jobs flew like bricks. You had to add a bit of "arm swing" to help the poor engine cope. It was, however, great fun to me as a kid. Later I got a balsa wing salvaged from a kit and rebuilt it. It performed significantly better than the plastic aircraft but weren't as resilient. Bottomline - if you live close to the coast, go for plastic.