Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Engine choice?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Engine choice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
docbrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine choice?

I'm sure this has been beatin' like a dead horse but...

Re-do flyer here.I used to fly 12-13 year ago and then I found a wife and kids and well the flying stopped.Now I’m back in the game, gone through the trainer again, getting a handle on the high wing sport plane and working on getting some of my planes back into shape.

I’ve got a Sig Somethin’ Extra I’m looking for a new engine for and I’m considering an OS 55AX or a TT F-75S.Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Engine choice?

I've had a Sig Somethin' Extra and the 55AX would give you wild performance. Anything larger might be nose heavy. In fact, if you wanted to just shake the rust out of your fingers, if you happen to have an old 46LA hanging around, drop that in first and then, when you were more up to the timing etc., switch over to the 55AX. I believe that they both have the same bolt pattern, but check me on that.

You could go larger but then you have the nose weight issue and IMHO, the plane does really well on the 55AX. In fact, you could even try a really hot 46 with a 12x3.75 prop. It won't be as fast, but it will haul like a tractor when you go into the verticals...

Just my $.02
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saito 62 or 82. I had an 82 in two SSE's, and my next one will have a .62 as I am a little older now and don't need ridiculous power

However, the 82 is the perfect weight for that plane, and with a 13x4W prop and taller gear, it is probably the most fun plane I've ever flew. You can always throttle back!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: docbrew

I'm sure this has been beatin' like a dead horse but...

Re-do flyer here. I used to fly 12-13 year ago and then I found a wife and kids and well the flying stopped. Now I’m back in the game, gone through the trainer again, getting a handle on the high wing sport plane and working on getting some of my planes back into shape.

I’ve got a Sig Somethin’ Extra I’m looking for a new engine for and I’m considering an OS 55AX or a TT F-75S. Any thoughts?
OS 55AX is a great engine! It is very economical, has very good power, and will last and last. I have two and they do a fantastic job. I often find them on RCU Marketplace for around 100.00 with low use. Most of the glow engines out today are very good and even some of the low cost glow engines do a good job.

I wish GMS were still around. I have two of the GMS 76 and bar none for the dollar they are quite a bargain. As one poster put it, "GMS engines are the best kept secret around." Not all agree and not all agree about any certain brand of engines. Some folks are die-hard OS and others hate them. The OS engines do come at a premium price if buying new so paying a higher price for me sets a higher expectation of the engine.

Also keep in mind there are some small gassers on the market that are great as well. They come in around 15-20cc now and are great for your slightly larger glow planes.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM
docbrew

Thanks for the input. I do have a TT PRO .46 that's in my trainer ATM but I was going to move that over to my high wing sport stik (mid west aero sport .40) because the .40 that's in it crapped out the last time out. Either way it sounds like the 55AX would better choice in the long run.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
bigedmustafa

Don't be too quick to dismiss Thunder Tiger, docbrew. A TT Pro .46 would be a great choice for the SSE, and the Thunder Tiger F-75s is a terrific engine, also. I'm not trying to talk you out of the .55 AX if that's what you decide to go with, but your Thunder Tiger options offer terrific performance and value.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I have two OS 55AXs & really love em. That would be a good choice & combo.....Gene
Old 05-25-2012, 03:40 AM
mikeh251

I also have the 55ax in my sse. Great combination.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
fly24-7

The 55 AX will make the plane a rocket. I have a 75AX and it's a no-fuss reliable engine. You can't go wrong with the O.S.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've also flown my SSE on a TT 46 - flies nice. You won't go wrong with either the OS or the TT.

When you feel like experimenting, try putting a 12x3.75 on the front end. You won't believe the RPM!!

Bob
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM
cmgtech1

OS .55AX - awesome power plant. More than you need on the Something Extra, but no cons to using it over a .46 other than slight increase in fuel consumption. You'll never wish for more power in the Something Extra with a .55. The nice thing about the .55 is that it's a decent choice for many of the .61 sized sport planes available should you decided you want a larger aircraft in the future.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
docbrew

I did put the OS 55 in the SSE and I'm very happy with it. I've got plenty of power to pull out of most "mistakes" and at half throttle I can play in the breeze very well. I've had a 12x6 and a 13x4 prop on it so far and I like the 12x6 atm. Ineed to play with the 13x4 more the next time out.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM
ddd

You might want to go to one of our T.T. 46 diesel heads which will have the power of a 60 turning 12X6 to 14 X4'ss with power to spare and a 6 ounce tank rather then the 10 ounce you now have will give you at least 15 to 20 minutes.