Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Inverted engine problems

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Inverted engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:21 PM
rubenjrf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted engine problems

I have a great planes Reactor 3D arf 58" with a OS 55 AX the engine is almost inverted (as the manual shows) it start easely but when you try to tune it feels like a 40 engine (don't sounds like a powerful 55 AX) and when you touch the fuel neddle one click it gets too lean or too reach depending if closing or opening, i try with a tach and it is 2000 rpm below some other 55 AX in the up right position, i'm using 15% omega (Morgan Fuel), 11X7.5 APC prop, # 8 OS glow plug the idle is fine

Thanks
Ruben,J.R.
Venezuela, South America
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Inverted engine problems

Where is the tank in reference to the carb?

Kurt
Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 PM
rubenjrf

the tank is located as the manual, maybe a little higher than the carb because of the inverted engine
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
motoman11
My Feedback: (3)

Make sure you dont have a air leak around carb ot back of motor also check head screws see that they are tite is it a new motor has it ben broke in right?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah... it sounds like something mechanical or plumbing. That engine should run like a swiss-watch... even inverted. Check for kinks, or bends in the fuel line, and as someone mentioned the dreaded air-leak... Make sure you're carb is seated on the engine snuggly and that O-ring is perfect... Make sure there's no obstruction in the line or inlet to the engine.. I do believe that to be a "remote needle" set up.. I've been suspicious of the fittings and knuckle set up those use from day one... they seem like just one more turn/curve the fuel has to take before it hits the engine.... its usually the first place I'd look.. So...

Tuning an inverted engine can be somewhat sensitive.. but what you're describing sounds way out of any normal tuning.. there's a problem. Haha.. you knew that though.. I hope you get it worked out soon. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
The center of the tank must not be above the carb intake orifice when plane sits horizontal!
That's the tank mounting rule...and must obeyed if you want to have good running engine.