Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Let's see your touch and go's

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Let's see your touch and go's

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 AM
cmgtech1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's see your touch and go's

Low winged Sig Kadet Senior with a .52 four stroke. Not my plane, but I sure love flying her whenever she is brought to the field. This plane has been passed around some, and everyone in our club enjoys flying her when she shows up.

Let's see some videos of your touch and go sessions!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3OvJkAtNA&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Cheers,
Chris G
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Let's see your touch and go's

Delightful to watch.

The wx looks very autumnal.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting the wing low on that Kadet Senior makes a very pretty low winger! Nice flying plane. Jon
Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM
kitfox man

Nice....What field are you at? I live in Calhoun down the road.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 PM
cmgtech1

Dalton RC Fliers Field in Dalton Ga. I sent a short e-mail to you
Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 PM
kitfox man

ok thanks i will go to my email
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Id love to know how to do a high to low wing conversion. That plane looks and flyes great!!

Bill S.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
cmgtech1

Bill, I didn't build the plane (nor have I been the owner of it yet), but I sure have a good number of flights on her! The conversion was a little more complicated than you might think. As for building it as a low wing instead of a high wing, it's pretty easy. You just fabricate some balsa wing saddle pieces from 1/4 inch stock. Use a wing rib to trace the top of the airfoil on the balsa wing saddle and glue the wing saddle pieces in on the bottom instead of the normal square longerons. Figure out how to secure the wing on the leading and trailing edges (tried and true method is simply installing one or more wood dowels that mates in an aligning hole in the bulkhead and 2 nylong bolts for the trailing edge).

On this particular model, I think the builder actually lengthened the fuselage just a bit to give it a slightly longer tail moment. Doing this would have been fairly easy and allowed him to get a some very nice looking lines on the model. The fuselage looks almost like a "Cherokee" instead of a Kadet Senior. I'm not positive that he lengthened the fuselage, but I think I recall it being mentioned by it's second owner. The other notable deviation from the stock Kadet Senior is that he moved the entire vertical fin back so that the trailing edge of the fin was in line with the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer. He then made a full length rudder that goes from the top of the vertical fin to the bottom of the fuselage. The Kadet Senior's rudder stops at the horizontal stabilizer.

The builder originally left the design as a 3 channel model, but the flight results pointed out that it needed ailerons to make the model enjoyable to fly. The second owner purchased the model and added ailerons. The addition of ailerons made the model a joy to fly. She is very light for her size, and the .52 four stroke is plenty. At full throttle she can do all the basic aerobatics, including inverted flight. She doesn't really like being inverted, but she'll do it if you want to. At slow speed, she really lack rudder authority, and the ailerons (at slow speed) exhibit a slight amount of adverse yaw. In other words, at slow speed, when you apply right aileron, the nose of the aircraft tends to go to the left. For this reason, at her extreme slow end of the flight envelope, she is much happier if the pilot utilizes rudder inputs along with the aileron.

It's quite amusing to see this big ole thing lumbering around at slow speeds. She can fly so slowly that she looks like she ought to be falling out of the sky, but she doesn't. She also handles wind quite nicely. Just a very relaxing model to cruise around with.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is an old youtube vid of mine, its on subject

They might not all be dead on perfect , but with a little plane like that, they were all fun.. GP Fokker D7 electric..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8dVnW3OLw

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8dVnW3OLw[/youtube]
Old 09-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cmgtech1

Let's see some videos of your touch and go sessions!!!!

Cheers,
Chris G
How to make a "long" touch and go on a "short" field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBvtb...2&feature=plcp

First, moment of touch down as early as possible.
Second, take off as late as possible.
Third, slow down the presentation.

Taurus Flyer

Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 PM
cmgtech1

Great videos guys! I love me some touch and go's!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Touch and go's are always the mark of a good pilot. Nice thread!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Foodstick..... I don't think there is anything harder to plant than a D7! Small ship, no give in the gear, and hard wheels and you have your work cut out for you. Looks like a lot of fun there.

By the way, what kind of runway is that? Surface looks to so smooth but too dark for concrete.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:38 AM
swify

Great video of the sig kadet, music accompanying fit very well, not like the usual collection of garbage on you tube. Plane looks like a real nice flier.