Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Mig 27 Foam Drone,, Carl Goldberg

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Mig 27 Foam Drone,, Carl Goldberg

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mig 27 Foam Drone,, Carl Goldberg

I was looking for some information on the size motor for a Mig 27 Carl Goldberg Drone of foam,
I received this giant foam mig for nothing, as someone was no longer able to fly, but he didn't have any information on it, no instructions, motor, landing gear, Etc.... I have heard it flys with a .90 but a 1.20 would be better, any other suggestions would be appreciated before I turn it into a snow storm
Old 05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mig 27 Foam Drone,, Carl Goldberg

It was military issue with a K&B Sportster .65
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Thats all that was on it!!! a .65 did they use it as a stationary target in the sky.. LOL Thanks for the info..
Old 06-11-2006, 12:29 PM
jssull00

Local club member has one and flys it almost every day. He used a Super Tiger 90. He increased elevator surfaces and the aileron surface. It is in the hanger at the moment. Seems the nose area forward of wings is showing some stress fractures. This airlane flys all the conventional manuevers and knife edges well.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Excellent,, !!! Does the 90 tote her pretty fast??
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM
jayree
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone have a manual. I also have a Mig 27 given to me but am a novice so I need the book. Jayree
Old 08-22-2006, 08:15 PM
tangerine-jack

I have about a dozen of these things in the attic. I was in an Air Defense unit in the Army for many years and when we were deactivated I saved as many foamies as I could from the dumpster. I may have a manual around somewhere, I'll look when I get a chance, but I don't think it will be of much help to a novice. We used to shoot at them with the M-42 Duster, a twin 40mm auto cannon mounted on a tracked vehicle. I have a Duster outside my office window, I'll take a shot of it tomorrow and post it.

They were lauched from a rail and had no landing gear, they landed in many pieces over the water and were unrecoverable. Devilish hard to hit, small and quick moving but we had plenty of ammo[>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65616.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	511579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75163.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	511580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46155.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	511581  
Old 08-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Nice score !!! I have been debating on where to throw the nose wheel for a landing gear, the one I have has the back gear but I can't see where the guy had planned to put the nose wheel he has the lines all run in the thing, unless he mounted it with the engine Mount which is probably what I'm going to do, any advice on a Strong glue for the foam would be helpful as well, This is my first Foam plane, it was just given to me last year, would an OS 1.20AX be to much for this plane??
Old 08-23-2006, 01:35 PM
LonestarMan

Waldo, on my last job we used to fly these for da military. I have the Goldberg version. We didn't have a manual or book and I have never seen one for it. Pretty much flew it w/ K.B. .61/.65; HB .61/.61 PDP engine. We used standard 5 min. epoxy for assy as we had to build purty quik if da gunners got lucky. I don't recommend anythang bigger than a .90 unless you do some serious strenghtenin'. on da wings; as it only has a piece of packin' tape runnin' spanwise. Also the nose area needs some reuppin'. These planes weren't designed to last that long and therefore quite expendable.You gonna have to be a little creative w/ da servos, L/G etc. I plan on mountin' mine using a standard nosegear from G/P or Sullivan. Also using standard alum. main gear. Naturully using plywood inlays for a mountin' surface. Also some of these guys lately have been using Gorilla Glue for foamies and fiberglass. Li'l goes a long way tho'.Anyway IMO youra gonna have to be creative, but try and keep da weight down if you want a good flyin' model. Also there was an article in MAN about using LOW-temp covering for your color selections.I plan on goin' this route when I get around to it. Sorry to many other projects ahead of it.Anyway just mods are in order as these planes weren't built that strong or to last long. Thanx,Rob
Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM
tangerine-jack

My version has an aluminum spar in the wing and down the length of the fuselage. In any case, I think a 1.20 would rip the thing to shreds, it is lowest bidder foam and designed to be destroyed on it's one and only flight. I had a flying version many years ago, I covered it in low temp iron on and used an OS .60, no landing gear, I cut the motor off in mid flight and belly landed on the grass. I got quite a bit of flying time off the thing before it landed hard on asphalt and imploded. The flying weight is minimal, so the .60 should do fine, nothing more than maybe .80 or near to it would be great. If you break it, 5 min epoxy and toothpicks will fix it up in no time.

BTW, the fuel tank mounts next to the cockpit on the right side and is rubber banded on. The radio gear fits in the pockets to the rear of the wing. It's certainly and unusual bird to see at the flying field.........
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Thanks guys for all the advice, I have been flying R/C's for about 35 years or so now, so I'm no stranger to figuring out what needs to be done, but I always build my planes from Kits too, I just happened across a H9 Twist so that was my first ARF,, the Mig I have is Carl goldberg,, Its already painted and all servo rods are already in,, it has been flown a few times but the nose gear wasn't there and they didn't remember the motor they used on it, I'm going to be buying a 1.20ax for my US 1000 so I thought I could swap it back and forth with the foamy, Glad you guys told me that,,, I'll try for a .60 or something in that field now,,, well maybe it will be airborn quicker then I thought now as long as I don't have to save up $290.00 for the power source.

Thanks again I'll let you know how she goes
Old 08-24-2006, 12:01 PM
LonestarMan

No Problem!!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 PM
MovingLite

Not sure where we got ours from, but we have one of these flying currently. It has the Tower Hobbies 2-Stroke .75 on it, pulls it around nicely. Modified to have tricycle gear, great plane. Easy to fly, and durable. Lots of fun.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:05 AM
jayree

I have one i want to electrifybut no idea on a motor. Any suggestions.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:12 PM
slopedog

I am looking for one mig and or a wing for a Mig 27 target drone. I am here in northern californa and would like to get a hold of atleast one wing for one of these if not the entire kit.

Please drop me an email if you are interested in parthing with one and or have any leads on them.

Thanks in advance.

SD
imageabove(at) hotmail.com
Old 12-16-2006, 02:10 AM
jayree

Have two com-lete ones that have been flown and then disasembled.Make me an offer at [email protected] I HAVE ELECTRIFIED ONE WITH A PHASOR 45/3 AND IT FLIES WELL.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
lcor43
My Feedback: (2)

If you have any of these drones left, would you be interested in selling any?

Thanks for your time,
Larry C.
[email protected]
Old 01-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Hey Icor,

I don't know if Tangerine had any left for you but, I did a search when I first received this craft on just my regular browser for the Carl Goldberg R/C Mig 27 and another person had a page with 3 or 6 huge giant boxes of these things for around $35.00 a plane, It looked like he had around 50 to 100 of them, Maybe it was here on RC universe but I think I found it elsewhere, I don't have the time to browse right now, but I will, and If I can find the link again I'll post it here as well.

Good luck, I didn't have the time to get mine in the sky this past season, So I'm going to be maidening it this season. I still have to buy my power plant for it.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they used 12-5 Rev-Up props on some of those target drones. They were marked only at the hub. If I remember correctly, the military figured three missions per drone so that's how many props were ordered since they landed without landing gear.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 AM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have any of these migs left.If so would you sell any.? I got one for christmas from my son and I just finished it and its ready to fly.Waiting on the weather. I covered it with low heat iron on film and it turned out great.If anyone has any for sale let me know.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:52 AM
BIGMIG

A WORD OF CAUTION--I e-mailed someone here on this Forum ( don't remember who it was) looking for someone who may have some of these migs for sale.A couple of days latter I got an e-mail from ( >[email protected]> ) and he said he had about 20 of these migs. After several e-mails back and fourth I agreed to buy 2 planes for $250.00 and that was to include shipping from Miami florida to Vancouver Washington.This took place about the middle of january and like a fool I trusted him and sent him the money and as of today I still have no planes.I have talked to him several times and keep getting one phoney story after another.I at this point don't even think he had any of these planes,and if he does I think he is just planning on keeping my money and ripping me off.I will get justice one way or the other.If you buy on-line don't do what I did,and be very cautious who you buy from.If I ever do get the planes I will update this--------------
Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 AM
BIGMIG

I just completed my MIG 27 I received as a christmas present from my son.Htere is a picture of it on my profile page.Its not real fancy but I think it looks alright.I used low heat iron on film,and I put a .76 motor with a 13 inch prop.put tri-cycle landing gear on it.added a rudder and a different elevator.changed the ailerons from the old duct tape to hinge mounting.I also glued a reinforceing strip (1 1/2 inch ) down on the lower sides of the fuselage.Glued reinforceing plywood on the belly for mounting the landing gear.Also reinforced the nose area inside along the fuel tank area.I used high torque servo's and dual batterys for extra power and also for balance reasons.To me these are neat looking airplanes and I wish they were still being produced and avaible to the public for sale.After searching the web for other ones I'm going to be kind of reluctent to fly this one because I would hate to crash it.These my turn into a collectors item before long although there still seems to be a fair amount of them around.My son found this one hanging in a local hobby shop and bought it for me and I'm glad he did,I have had a lot of fun working on it.It probly will get flown when the weather improves.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Hey BigMig,

Bummer I hope justice is served,,, Good luck ojn the maiden , I hope,,,,,, WILL get mine in the air this season also. I can't wait to see this bird fly,, It looks like its going to be a blast.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 PM
BIGMIG

Hey GOOD LUCK with yours also,snowing today but good flying weather is on the way.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Waldopepperaxel

yes we are suppose to get pounded with 8 more inches of snow with about an inch of Ice,,on top of the 22 inches we received 2 weeks ago thatstill hasn't disapated.

Hey can you post a pic of your front landing gear and where you mounted it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.