Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best Mechanical Retracts (.40 Size)?

Hi guys/gals,

Give me your suggestions for the best .40 size mechanical retracts for the money. I'm going to attempt a 30% enlarged SIG Wonder with retracts, but I've never used mechanical retracts before so I don't know where to start looking. We have a paved runway at our field, though from time to time I end up at fly ins with grass runways, so sturdiness does matter.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #81

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Best Mechanical Retracts (.40 Size)?

I have a airborne-models Mustang that I purchased at a swap meet.  The retracts have been bent so that the gear cannot retract.  There is no good way to straighten the gear.  I would recommend that the gear 'legs' be replaceable. Not familiar with other brands.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

T-J.... Is your term mechanical retracts just retracts that will accept a control rod from a servo, or something else? I just saw three sizes of electrical retracts ( 25, 40, and large) that look very nice at the local hobby shop. They accept a Futaba connector and I don't believe they have hit the states yet. I had a set of Kraft electric retracts on a Pica T-28 years ago and loved the slow cycle time, but they were a bit problematic. Might buy a set to see how these units are.
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally, yes, that was my thought on 'mechanical' retracts, but I just became aware of the E-flite Brand of Electric Retracts that appear to be pretty promising. The only thing that concerns me about them is the repeated impact of landings. I wonder how ell they hold up as far as the electrical component of it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tango. On my US 60 I used Robart HD 608 mechanicals with a hitech retract servo. They worked really well until I landed very very hard on them. The plastic parts were destroyed but my wing stayed together. That makes for any easy fix in that I just have to buy new retracts and screw them back in. At tower they are $36 and the servo is about $20. It is an easy set up but you have to use a retract servo and not a regular servo. The newer Robart PRS system looks good and are all metal but they are about $80 a set. Even with the possible extra headaches of retracts, I am so happy with them. The plane flys much better with the wheels up and the trim changes a lot when down. Nothing looks better than a high speed pass with the wheels up. Your Wonder will be super fast without the drag. What kind of power are you putting on it?

Adam

This one might deserve a build thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I figure an OS55 should be plenty. On the original size Wonder, designed for a .15, people who tried to over-power it to gain more speed found out that a bigger engine didn't necessarily translate to more speed. I'm not really building mine for speed, I just always liked the design, but l also always felt it should be bigger.