Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Best Mechanical Retracts (.40 Size)?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Best Mechanical Retracts (.40 Size)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Mechanical Retracts (.40 Size)?

Hi guys/gals,

Give me your suggestions for the best .40 size mechanical retracts for the money. I'm going to attempt a 30% enlarged SIG Wonder with retracts, but I've never used mechanical retracts before so I don't know where to start looking. We have a paved runway at our field, though from time to time I end up at fly ins with grass runways, so sturdiness does matter.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM
houckj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Mechanical Retracts (.40 Size)?

I have a airborne-models Mustang that I purchased at a swap meet.  The retracts have been bent so that the gear cannot retract.  There is no good way to straighten the gear.  I would recommend that the gear 'legs' be replaceable. Not familiar with other brands.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Tango Juliet

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T-J.... Is your term mechanical retracts just retracts that will accept a control rod from a servo, or something else? I just saw three sizes of electrical retracts ( 25, 40, and large) that look very nice at the local hobby shop. They accept a Futaba connector and I don't believe they have hit the states yet. I had a set of Kraft electric retracts on a Pica T-28 years ago and loved the slow cycle time, but they were a bit problematic. Might buy a set to see how these units are.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Tango Juliet

Originally, yes, that was my thought on 'mechanical' retracts, but I just became aware of the E-flite Brand of Electric Retracts that appear to be pretty promising. The only thing that concerns me about them is the repeated impact of landings. I wonder how ell they hold up as far as the electrical component of it.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM
adamle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tango. On my US 60 I used Robart HD 608 mechanicals with a hitech retract servo. They worked really well until I landed very very hard on them. The plastic parts were destroyed but my wing stayed together. That makes for any easy fix in that I just have to buy new retracts and screw them back in. At tower they are $36 and the servo is about $20. It is an easy set up but you have to use a retract servo and not a regular servo. The newer Robart PRS system looks good and are all metal but they are about $80 a set. Even with the possible extra headaches of retracts, I am so happy with them. The plane flys much better with the wheels up and the trim changes a lot when down. Nothing looks better than a high speed pass with the wheels up. Your Wonder will be super fast without the drag. What kind of power are you putting on it?

Adam

This one might deserve a build thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Tango Juliet

I figure an OS55 should be plenty. On the original size Wonder, designed for a .15, people who tried to over-power it to gain more speed found out that a bigger engine didn't necessarily translate to more speed. I'm not really building mine for speed, I just always liked the design, but l also always felt it should be bigger.