Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dragon Lady plans?

I have read through a number of threads regarding the Dragon Lady, all giving good report. Does anyone have plans they can copy/sell of the Dragon Lady?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dragon Lady plans?

I don't have plans for it but I hope you can get your hands on some....I own the ARF version and it's a great flyer!
    Best regards,
    Ed

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #64

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you talking about the Modeltech Dragon Lady 60-90?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes mine has an OS 120FS. I got a pic on my gallery
    Best regards,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Warbird40,

That is a really nice looking Dragon Lady!

They had a .40 size ARF as well. I don't think they ever made an actual kit. I know they had an ARC and later an ARF version. Really good flyers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks turbo.gst, it's indeed a great flyer! It came with the white and yellow scheme, I added the purple, the stars and stripping. I also upgraded the plastic pants to fiberglass, changed foam tires to Dubro rubber, painted landing gear, changed tailwheel to a Sullivan and blacked out the windscreen.
    Best regards,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What was I thinking. In this day and age, why would anybody make a kit if a great airplane? It seems the program now is to make an ARF, sell it for a while and then move on to something else. At least in the past when kits were the thing, there were plans and the airplanes could live on for ever by building new. I am holding on to hope, however, in case there was actually a kit of the 90 size version. I thought World Engines had a kit of it years ago, or is my imagination playing with me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Depending on how badly you want one, you could try to reverse engineer one. The only real issue is the airfoil. I have done it before on a design that was lost to the ages as far as I knew.

I found an instruction manual, here it is:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, isn't this fun? On another thread in Sport Flying, I was looking for help in ID'ing an unknown airplane kit and along comes turbo.gst with a positive ID and plans for the kit. I learned the kit was that of a Dick Sarpolas design called The Enticer. That was right after he provided a full pdf manual on the Dragon Lady with a picture of it for which I was looking for plans. Now I have info on both which creates and interesting idea. The Enticer is similar in planform to the Dragon Lady. The Dragon Lady is a much better looking airplane. Why not bash the kit to make The Enticer a larger version of the Dragon Lady. Widen the fuse, make a cowl similar to the Dragon Lady, upsweep the foredeck, skinny up the aft end of the turtle deck, install a dural gear with wheel pants and and power it with a Saito 180 four stroke. I could call it the "Enticing Lady" Huh? Whadauthink?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good. I started doing that to 'kits' years ago. Pay attention to known moments and area relationships of successful designs and use them in your new shapes. You would be amazed at how much you will learn. I have even designed a few of my own after many years of doing it. Makes a great hobby even better! Good luck with your project and try to share some photo's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Enticing Lady project will be done but other projects are in line first. So many airplanes; so little time. Need to finish the restoration of a Byron Christen Eagle, restoration of a Sheber 1/3 scale Pitss S2, the restoration of the Skylark 56 is finished, and a Walt Good Big Guff build from scratch is next in line. I the mean time, gathering materials, parts and supplies for the upcoming projects is ongoing.
    What a fun hobby!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too have a Dragon Lady with a G20 on it and it is an awesome sport plane for sure! I wish that there were plans for it but I guess that is not happening. It wouldn't be too hard if someone really wanted to reverse engineer it as someone mentioned.....just time and thought. The only hard part would be the fuse of course.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Having a Dragon Lady is the first step in re-engineering one. A complete plan is not necessary. What is necessary is airfoil shape and size, angles of incidence and thrust angles for the engine. These can be determined with an incidence meter or a simple ruler. The dimensions of the spinner to firewall, firewall to first bulkhead, next bulkhead at the wing trailing edge and distance to the tail will give you overall length. Fuselage width is easy to determine with simple measurements to establsih firewall and bulkhead width deducting of course of the fuselage side material. Shape of the top side of the fore and aft formers can easily be measured and drawn. Wing rib spacing measurements are obvious by referring to the wing. The measurements can be layed out on paper with the location of all of the bulkheads marked on a simple datum lines and vertical lines to represent bulkheads (formers). Draw in the rib with its proper shape, angle and location as well as the horizontal tail location and angle. Include the location and dimension of the firewall and the tail post and connect the dots to create the fuselage side. I assume this a slab-sided fuselage. Typically, the incidence angles are 0 - 0 with no downthrust and a bit of right thrust. Once the basic box is built for the fuselage, it becomes a simple matter of fleshing it out to match the appearance of the original. The toughest part of this project is creating a cowl to match the original. A mold would have to be made which isn't that difficult but is time consuming.
    It is just that simple, I say light-heartedly.
    I have a friend some distance away from here who does have a Dragon Lady which I probably could use, but my project list is longer than my time, money and energy allows.
    This is only to encourage someone to pursue re-engineering something they deem worthy to be brought back. It could even be a Dragon Lady.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've wanted a Dragon Lady for a long time. Up until this thread I had thought that Model Tech only made an ARC version that you had to cover as well as do final assembly.

I saw 2 or 3 of them stacked up NIB at Perry a couple of weeks ago but passed when I saw the price. Too rich for my blood. I'm still looking.

Carl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I spoke to my friend who HAD the Dragon Lady that I had my eye on for re-engineering. He told me he crashed it and threw it away. He stated it was a great flying airplane plus I feel it has very classic looks. The sad part is that they are no longer in production and parts are mostly gone.
    So, is there anyone out there who wants to ship a wrecked Dragon Lady to me? I am kind of kidding; kind of not. When they are all balled up after the crash, they can be more efficiently and economically shipped in a lot smaller shipping box. I remember receiving a wrecked Aeromaster completely contained in a grocery bag. Today, after a complete rebuild, it is one of my most desireable airplanes.
    Is this a fun hobby or what?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was on CL last week and a guy had one for sale (airframe only) for $40 obo. He had no clue on what he had, so I offered him $35 and he accepted. To my surprise, it was in great shape and it had never seen nitro! Cowl is intact (has never neen cut) and no fuel tank because it use to have an electric motor. I have been lucky to find 2 in 6 months. My other one came with a new, never ran OS120 FS for $180 (minus servos, because it had never been finished/flown)
    Best regards,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just picked up a .40-.50 sized ARC for $125.....VERY nicely constructed!
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I just picked up a .40-.50 sized ARC for $125.....VERY nicely constructed!
    They are very nicely constructed indeed. The earlier versions had cheap covering, but they improved it towards the end of the run.
    Best regards,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a pic or two.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11191.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	1862359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh18892.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	1862360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va70813.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	1862361  
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tailskid, you should take the time to turtle deck it before you cover it, it will look much nicer. I am planning to do it to mine in the future (when I finish my P-47 and my Venture 60). I also recommend you replace the tailwheel with a Sullivan, the original one is not that good.
    Best regards,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will 1/16th sheeting do it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeap, that's what I used for my GP Shoestring.
    Best regards,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I filled in the wingtips with foam then added some 'DAP'....I will be glassing the wing for sure....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37836.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	1865004  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good tailskid........let me know how the glassing works out, I am wondering if it will change the flying characteristics of the plane. On my 2nd Dragon L I might drop a gasser on it and fiberglass the whole plane
    Best regards,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I just crashed my DL due to pilot error, so its time to rebuilt. I am undecided weather this time I will drop the 91FS or drop in my ported and piped ST61 two stroke. I will fill the wingtips and wings, turtledeck it, add dual aileron servos, add dual batt/switch set up, replace plastic pants with fiberglass, tint windscreen and add a pilot.
    Best regards,
    Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast