Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

more power for a Tower 40 trainer

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

more power for a Tower 40 trainer

Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
coalburner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more power for a Tower 40 trainer

Last season I soloed again after 35 yrs. with a Tower 40 high wing trainer. Had a OS 40 FP, then I changed to a OS46 LA. The FP struggled to get me into the air. The 46 LA had
fair power. I have a vintage OS 60 gold head with rear carb that I bought back in the mid 70s. I was thinking of using this on the 40 size trainer to give a little more zing. What do you think? It will be a bit heavier, how do you think it will handle? Just looking to use items that I have on hand.
I also fly a Goldberg Tiger with an OS 61fx and a Hobbico with an OS 65LA. Both have fair power and good trainer planes.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Lnewqban

Default RE: more power for a Tower 40 trainer

I was given a trainer 40 with a 60 engine.

It flew well, although I was limited in ground clearance using a 12" propeller.

It took some weight by the tail to counterbalance the heavier engine, but not too much.

It wasn't specially fast, since trainers have some drag and also built-in decalage (wing-stab differential incidence for pitch self-stabilization).
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had several of the motors you mentioned in my Avistar trainer. The largest motor in it was the OS55AX & it was really fast at wide open throttle. Your Tower trainer will be fine with the older OS 60 gold head. Just use the throttle spareingly. I have several OS 60 goldheads & they are not as powerfull as the newer 55s.....Gene
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are experienced should be fine.  Not for a student.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 PM
dakoris73

In my tower trainer, I have a Magnum 52 4 stroke motor in it, and its the perfect fit for this trainer. I have an APC 11x7 prop on it, and there's more than enough power for this plane. Combine the power of the 4 stroke with the gas sipping motor, and you can have a good 15-20 min training flight, and no need to add extra weight on it either. All in all, a perfect fit for this trainer.

One minor thing to consider though.... you will have to re-drill the firewall and rotate the carb around to make this work, but its worth it.

Just my $.02 worth......