Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flair J3 Cub Rebuild

Been working on getting a 73 inch span Flair Cub in the air after getting it in a package deal buying out a fellow's hobby for about thirty bucks. It was a good deal and on the heels of that came another good deal when I called a hobby shop in Bangkok about OS 46AX prices. Ended up buying a pair of new ASP 46's for about 90 bucks that will eventually fly in another Twin Otter. The Cub will be the break in platform. Not very familiar with ASPs but with that price I could not pass it up.

After getting the old fuse covering removed, one of my wife's Yoga students somehow managed to trip over it and break off the tail. I was not too upset as the builder had put quite a bend in the longerons and it needed some correction anyway. Photo below shows how it started out.

Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flair J3 Cub Rebuild

More progress showing the engine on the beams. It fit perfectly and only had to drill holes and put in blind nuts. Stormy the shop dog always keeps an eye on me to make sure everything is lined up right. Also put on a steerable tail wheel which required a small notch and a trip to the hardware store for some suitable springs. Those springs should protect the servo and linkage from runway shocks on landing. I fly of my own rough runway so I am looking forward to having a real bush plane to bash around. Not hoping for anything too scale; just want to have a fun airplane to bash around.

Found out during the rebuild that this plane had never flown. No oil around the engine compartment and the push rods bound up in the tail in a terrible manner. I ended up replacing the rudder push rod with a flexible cable in a nylon housing. A J3 is a rudder airplane so have to make sure that works well.

Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built a roll-around work table a while back so I can work in in the upstairs Yoga studio rather in the dark shop. That has been working out well in wheeling the project in and out of the shop and it is nice to work outdoors with a nice view. Had to put a 3 blade on it make sure no one thinks it is a regular Cub! This plane will also use a 35Mhz Futaba radio system that came with the deal. That is one of the legal frequencies here in Thailand and will have to see how that works out as I have no experience there. Windows will be added using plastic from bookstore paper folders.

Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are some things that just should keep you up at night. The ASP 46 started on the second starter blip and ran great. I ran what I thought was a tankful of fuel through it while having it run very rich with no 2-cycling. Fueled up again and the idle was so good I did a bit of taxing. One of the wheel retainers fell off and I replaced that with a wheel collar, making a mental note to replace the other one as well before flying.

The engine was running great and I am impressed with ASP engines so far. The runs were very short however before it started running lean and I could see bubbles in the fuel line after about five minutes. Golly this engine uses fuel in a hurry. I laid in bed that night after running in the engine and wondered what was up. The next morning, I noticed that there was a half tank of fuel in the tank even though I had drained it the day before. Hmmmm, no test flight today! I pulled the engine and took out the fuel clunk. There was the problem.... a slit in the clunk fuel pick-up tube. No wonder it had short runs. After fixing that, I had another break in run but this time it was a lot longer.

Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool project. I was not aware of the modeling scene in Thailand. Nice view out of the window.
    Sig brotherhood #83
    Sig Kadet brotherhood #101
    AKA MrBreeze
    73's KK4MSE
    "I've always been crazy, ...but it's kept me from going insane" -Waylon Jennings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC Flying is popular in Thailand skyraider. Lots of clubs and fields to choose from around the cities. Up in the sticks you have to find a place to fly or put in your own runway.

The plane is done and at 7 pounds it is a bit of a fast flyer for a Cub. The majority of the weight on this plane is in the fully sheeted solid foam wing. First flight went well and had the nicest wheel landing, but before the tail came down, the right wheel popped off so the landing roll was a bit short. Only a few scuffs on the spinner. This kit used slide-on steel retainers on the gear legs and I had made a mental note to replace them with wheel collars before the first flight. The fuel line problem distracted me and I was anxious to fly it so that mental note flew away with the wind!

Tiger Flyer #49