Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

BTE's new Venture 60 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

BTE's new Venture 60 kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTE's new Venture 60 kit

Bruce Tharpe has just announced the re-essue of his popular Venture 60 kit. Venture 60 full-build kits are now available from BTE for $159.95 plus $12.00 shipping. The BTE website address is
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: BTE's new Venture 60 kit

Larry, if you ever come back to the Selden area give me a call or PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:43 PM
WCB

$160 is about the right price for a 60 size kit.......BUT....ya gotta pay $3.95 (+ shipping ?) just for the materials to make dual aileron servos, plus $11.95 (+ shipping ?) for PLASTIC wheel pants and $16.95 for carbon fiber push rods to replace the supplied "balsa push rods."

Now you're going to have nearly $200 in the kit and that's not including shipping on the kit and all the extras.

1- Most kits come with the stuff to build dual aileron servo setup. Hardly anybody uses the old single servo for ailerons anymore except on trainers.
2- Most kits come with wheel pants included. At nearly $12 I would expect fiberglass wheel pants.
3- As for the push rods he might as well come out and say the supplied hardware is junk. Carbon fiber on a 60 size sport plane?? I don't think so.

I was seriously considering buying one of the kits until I started reading about it. I'm surprised that the plans and manual are included at no extra charge. I'm sure it's a great kit and a great flying plane, but the way it is being done just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather the kit be priced at $200 and all this included.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree about the wheelpants and push rods. I never use wheelpants and wish I didn't have to pay for them when I buy kits. Push rods are something I decide on when I'm building; either for dowels or carbon fiber arrow rods. I don't mind upgrading that. It's like upgrading from the cheap, heavy wheels that usually come with kits and that I pay for when I just toss them.

I guess you just have to pick which side of the fence rail you are going to fall over to.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM
WCB

"To each his own" I reckon.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: WCB
I was seriously considering buying one of the kits until I started reading about it.
I would suggest you reconsider. I'll bet you change your tune after building the kit. This isn't a die crushed Great Planes kit with rock hard balsa. It's a hand cut, top notch kit with quality materials. Easily worth a few extra bucks.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last3 kits I built this year
GP goldberg Cub .wood for wing was bad , had to use old wing off another Cub , or buy a new kit.
GP 300s . $30.00 BALSA USA for replacement wood , still have the wing to finish .
GP Ultra Sport .60 , wood was not to bad , only had to replace some sheeting.

I have a Venture kit , that I have closely looked overand it well build very nicely , right out of the box. Attention to detail is way above any kits I,ve built before. Ifyou add the cost and the hassle of chasing replacement parts down on the other kits, the Venture is going to be cheaper in the long run and problem free. IMHO , well worth the money.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
blw

WCB- if the comprehensive hardware works for you, that is a good thing. Yes, just opinions and nobody pleases everybody. If the kit company is doing their job by buying bulk, and not inflating those costs to you, then it doesn't matter much.

I recently built another kit that is known for no hardware and almost no instructions. Even though I prefer it that way, it still has a feeling of missing stuff.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Just yesterday a few of us cleaned out the garage of a deceased fellow club member at the request of his widow because seeing all the boxes was difficult for her. I have so often read where a builder has complained about the hardware package and changed everything because he wanted to do a little re-engineering(actually, it's a secret rationalization we have in order tell the little woman just how it is in order to make a beeline for the hobby shop and get into more trouble). I now have another box full of fuel tanks(some still in the wrapper), Dave Brown push rods and I don't know what ever else newly aquired stuff in addition to my version of stuff. I think if someone opens a kit these days, he will have his own preferences or in the event that he is not a builder, his eyes will glass over and the hardware issue will be the last thing on his mind. Thank you for taking time to read my two pence worth here.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 AM
blw

That extra stuff always comes in handy one day. You may be quick fixing someones beat up trainer, or you may be keeping your own beater up and going.

I know what you mean about estates. I bought a couple of engines from an elderly guy a few years ago. He gave me some good deals. His garage was jam packed with sailplanes and wood. He passed away suddenly a few weeks after I bought the engines. I ended up buying almost half of his extensive stock of wood. On one hand, it's good to have the engines and wood, but then I remember how I came across all of it. At least it didn't get tossed in the trash!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I know some guys would just as soon get rid of any extra stuff, and like you said, it comes in handy. My perspective is that I can throw it away as well, and I sometimes find good homes for it. My mother grew up during the Depression and would save everything, perhaps a little too much. Good luck to Mr. Tharpe with the release, guys here at my club mentioned the Venture and really liked it.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 PM
dragonov3

I have a Flyin king kit. If the quality of the venture kit is anywhere near the quality of the flyin king, it is definitely worth the money. I am currently saving up for a venture.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
DustBen

I've built over 200 models... The Venture .60 is by far the best kit I ever assembled.
I'd highly recomend keeping it light. Use a powerful .46 2-stroke, or a .70 4-stroke. (I fitted mine with an ultralight, OS .60 FP to swing a large diameter, flat pitch prop to fly slow, and the FP consumes hardly any fuel).
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
CptDan

Last week sometime I received my Venture 60 from BTE and I can truly say what a beautifull kit this is. THe wood is excellant and it has not been burned (lazered) there isn't any charcoal anywhere. The fuse locks together in such a way that one would have to really mess up to get it crooked. I have the tail surfaces finished but not sanded, the wing panels are done exept for the sheeting and gluing together, and the fuse is being glued as I speak
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34459.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1475316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97156.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1475317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97808.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1475318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11907.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1475319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89521.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1475320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev25031.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1475321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb60827.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1475322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu70126.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1475323  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Db55429.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1475324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz19175.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1475325  
Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Very Nice! I built a V60 several years ago. Just curious, how did you drill the nice, neat holes in the ribs for the wing jig, and how did you determine the location of the holes? What is the purpose of the two clamps on each rib? (After studying the photos closer, it appears that you have some type of round device on the jig rods to hold the ribs perpindicular to the jig rods. Is this correct, and did you manufacture those round jig devices yourself?)
Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 AM
CptDan

ORIGINAL: Bob Yeager

Very Nice! I built a V60 several years ago. Just curious, how did you drill the nice, neat holes in the ribs for the wing jig, and how did you determine the location of the holes? What is the purpose of the two clamps on each rib? (After studying the photos closer, it appears that you have some type of round device on the jig rods to hold the ribs perpindicular to the jig rods. Is this correct, and did you manufacture those round jig devices yourself?)

This was my version of the Adjusto-jig. The board is 48 shelving and there are clamps on each end that hold the 1/4" stainless steel rods. To try and keep the ribs perfectly verticle I made 24-1" round aluminum discs about 5/16" thick with a precision reamed hole to slide between the ribs. I made a plexiglass plate that had the centers of the jig 1/4 inch rods. The BTE Venture 60 ribs were all pinned together So using the plate I drilled the holes in the ribs at the thickest point. I didn't use the rib center line as I wanted the 1/4 hole in the thickest part of the rib. As long as all the holes are in the same place in all the ribs there won't be any misalignment. I did this jig style wing board to try. I also have built a magnet style board which I like better but the mag table is only 36". The small clamps were used to hold the discs tight to the rib insuring the verticle alignment. I used a sharpend piece of 1/4 K&S tubing to drill the holes in the ribs. Removing the rods is not difficult but one has to be carefull and go slow twisting the rods out of the wing. BTW I'm very fortunate to have a lathe and a mill in my garage.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Very Impressive. I do recall how neatly Bruce Tharpe had the wing ribs pinned together. Thank you for the info. and your detailed explanation!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 PM
capt17

This is great news! The BTE Venture is, I feel, a great plane to build. All of the comments above about how well the kit goes together are spot on. The directions, fit and precision of each piece is perfection. My mistake: I built this kit as my second kit ever and got spoiled. I just assumed that all kits were this clear and well done. I've built a few great planes kits since than and they don't compare. I was sad the day Bruce took the Venture offline just because I knew so many were going to miss out on this beautiful plane. Now they have their chance! Mine flies like a speed demon with an OS 61FX on it. Sweet plane and well worth even the $200 that the one poster estimated his would cost.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Got my Venture kit in last night. The quality of the wood and the cutting is most awesome. The instructions are also excellent.

Looking forward to starting the build this weekend.

Tom
Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Well I'm replacing the wicked Saito1.25 with a OS.75AX. The Saito has crazy vertical at less than half throttle but was quite rough on the airframe due to vibrations. The OS is a lot tamer but still has great power. Not unlimited vertical at this time as the motor is still breaking in. So we'll see after a few more flights.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57746.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1493680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72374.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1493681  
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Augie11

I have to try one of these one day based on all the positive feedback. I've got an old Tiger .60 I trot out when the wind blows and/or rain comes and she's getting a little battle weary. I was thinking another Astro-Hog (been a few years) but maybe a Venture is worth a shot. I don't care about hardware as I usually wind up replacing it anyway. Sounds like a good one to order for the 'future kit inventory'.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Pit-Viper 1

you won't be disappointed, hardware is great as well for the most part. This is an excellent plane even if you've been off the sticks for awhile. It is extremely docile and at the same time can be as wild as you want it to be. I've yet to find any bad habits with this plane other than my own bad habits. Slap a set of skis on it during the winter and it opens up a whole new box of fun.

Shane
Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

you won't be disappointed, hardware is great as well for the most part. This is an excellent plane even if you've been off the sticks for awhile. It is extremely docile and at the same time can be as wild as you want it to be. I've yet to find any bad habits with this plane other than my own bad habits. Slap a set of skis on it during the winter and it opens up a whole new box of fun.

Shane
Thanks Shane. I've got not only the skis but also a set of floats so she'll be an all purpose plane. Gotta have one of those around!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Floats, something I've been wanting to try. I am jealous..
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

Floats, something I've been wanting to try. I am jealous..
Don't get jealous...get busy! There must be some beautiful lakes near Billings that might allow access. That being said, we're the only club in Colorado with regular access to a lake and are able to fly every Monday AM at a local reservoir. If you're ever in the Fort Collins/Boulder area get hold of me via email and you'll have personal invitation!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.