Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM
timshales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

I'm completing my Pulse 125xt right now. I've installed an Evolution 20cc gas motor and it runs very smooth. I have the plane balanced and only need to check my cotrol deflections and I'll be up and flying soon. I opted to mount the Evolution 20GX upright, with a side mounted muffler. I like to see the engine. While most everyone else prefer the cowl to hide everything, I like being able to see and access the engine. I really like the Evolution gassers and want to see them. The build was very easy, even for an ARF.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42448.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1903610  
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sure does look good...I haven't personally seen any of newer Evolutions engines.....hope that changes soon! Did you put in two elevator pushrods or go with the standard supplied single pushrod?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM
jeffsend
My Feedback: (4)

Tim,
You may already know this,but you can dress up the cowl around the engine with some screen door spline. I did this on my Pulse 40 and it looks good(sorry,don't have a photo handy). I bought some black spline,and split it with an exacto to make a slot for the fiberglass. Then I think I just used some ca to glue it on. I bet it would be a nice touch to show off that engine. I'll try to get a pic of it later.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM
jeffsend

Here's what the screen spline looks like.....

Name:	Vs55495.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1903687  
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM
timshales

Very nice Jeff. I'm going to try that!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM
jeffsend

Mine has held up very well running glow fuel. You might test it to make sure a little gas splatter isn't going to melt it. But I did a search and found the idea being shared in the giant scale forums,so I suspect it works equally well with gas. It does make a cut cowl look a little nicer!

ORIGINAL: timshales

Very nice Jeff. I'm going to try that!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

@tailskid: Man, that 125 looks awesome. You may have put me over the edge and I now HAVE to buy me one of those. I am just started the build on the 60, so I will probably wait until I get it up in the air and see its characteristiccs before taking the plunge.

What size engine DLE 55? Oh, my bad... a DLE 20cc. How does she fly? How's the vertical w/ a 20cc on her?

Also, wher can I sign up for the Pulse Brotherhood, or who is in charge of it, or should I just take a number???

BTW, GREAT fly-by photo... love it!

Don
Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 PM
tailskid

I'm flying with a three-bladed 15/7 (for ground clearance) as the 16/8 (which is a better prop for this plane) didn't give much ground clearance. I'm all over the sky with the Pulse - and it does everything asked of it. With the three bladed prop it doesn't have the vertical as did the 16/8. I love the way it lands - SO SLOOOOOOOOOW if you wish and I have flipped it over a couple of times cracked the fuse - no big deal, so epoxy and she was back up there. I would say this is one of the smoothest, honest-flying birds I have seen in a long time. After flying the 60, you WILL fall in love with the 125 IMHO......

Jerry
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
tailskid

Originally Posted by thebest_102
Sorry for the delay. I won the contest with my pulse. I have taken about 20 flights after the conversion that were dedicated to trimming and set up.
Please share with us what the contest consisted of.....
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by tailskid
Please share with us what the contest consisted of.....

I entered a pattern aerobatics competition. I flew the sportsman sequence. I had planned to fly a 50 size pattern aircraft but at one month till contest date I had a mishap and went back to the trusty Pulse.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:10 PM
tailskid

Well Contrats to you!!!! I have always thought the Pulse flys so smoothly and in the right hands......well, they were YOURS!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by tailskid
Well Contrats to you!!!! I have always thought the Pulse flys so smoothly and in the right hands......well, they were YOURS!
The Pulse is a great airframe fly's well and is very stable has a long fuse that helps in pattern. I have been flying that 60 for a few years. It is my comfort plane. All those reasons are why I chose it for the contest. I spent that month dialing it in. I have16 in prop on it so ground clearance can get tight but If I bring it around and get it nice and slow then get some power back on to set the touchdown point it will slide right in for a three point. I was worried on that prop but it really pushed me to learn really good proper power on landings.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM
amc72

I have the stock mini and 25E. I really wish the would have made it 80 inch on the big one. I have a 26 looking for a home.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM
fly24-7

My apologies for posting and bailing. Just as I wanted to get this thing going, I got slammed at work and we've had a couple of club events. I either haven't had time or have been too tired to pop onto RCU. I'm back in the cockpit now, so let's start by taking care of some housekeeping. We'll assign in order of posts.

Fly24-7 - Bro No 1
jeffsend - #2
thebest_102 - #3
VictoryRoll - #4
Tailskid - #5 (but #2 in our hearts by taking initiative to self-declare)
LSP972 - get that 25e and we'll slot you in.
Ranger61 - #6
8.point.roll - got a pulse? If so, you'll get a number.
netdudeuk - see 8.point.roll
bikerbc - lucky #7 (you can't post half way down page one and take #1 )
timshales - #8
amc72 - #9

It's cool to hear of the mix of electric versus glow versus gas. I have a feeling that with the new lower displacement gas engines released by Evolution and others, we'll see more of these models set-up with gas engines.

Congrats to thebest_102 for winning a pattern contest with his Pulse. I'd imagine that this plane (in the larger variants) could also do reasonably well in an IMAC basic sequence.

After much experimenting , I found that a 14X7 prop is the winner for my O.S. FS-95V. It's the right combo of engine load (full throttle RPM), thrust, and ground clearance. I have about 16 flights on my new XT 60 and am finally getting it dialed in (radio settings, engine tunning). I now know why I decided to buy another one of these. Once you get it right, it's like a comfortable pair of slippers.

On the stock tank, I get about 30 minutes of flying time with mixed throttle. I typically go two flights per fill-up. Last month, I flew this airplane a bunch at our club airshow along with my 25% RV-4. My only gripe is that the O.S. 95 weeps oil from the front bearing like crazy. After a flying session, I've got the Exxon Valdez dripping out from under the cowl. At some point down the road, I just might move the O.S. along and repace it with the Evolution 15 or 20cc gas engine released this spring. We'll see. My concern with the 20 would be too much prop and too little ground clearance. I'll get some photos at the field this weekend now that she's been broken in. I NEVER take photos before the first 2-3 flights. In my mind, bad karma.

Last edited by fly24-7; 08-15-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
fly24-7

Originally Posted by bikerbc
I have the Pulse 125 XT and have been flying it for 3 yrs.. It is getting pretty beat up and I would like to replace it but they are discontinued...I really like the plane so I might buy the 60 size one.. I have thought about it anyway.. I would put an OS 75 AX on it I think... I have a OS 120 AX on my 125 Pulse and it is more than it needs ..I just love how the Pulse flys.. I had to move the gear forward about an inch because it was a little trippy , and my tail wheel broke almost rite away so I replaced it with a Sullivan ,I glued my tail on and put tail wires on to stiffen it up a bit but I never had the flutter that other's complained of but then I tend to fly slower than average... I dont see any brother hood numbers here .. Is this a club we are starting? If so I will take a number please...Or lets start a club if one hasen't been started... Can we do that ? I will start it off and keep track.... Ken Pulse brother # 1
The 60 is only slightly smaller than the 125 (3" on each wing). I think you'd find the 60 to be a good replacement. I had a OS75AX on my first 60 and it was a solid engine. That would be a good combo.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:02 PM
fly24-7

Originally Posted by timshales
I'm completing my Pulse 125xt right now. I've installed an Evolution 20cc gas motor and it runs very smooth. I have the plane balanced and only need to check my cotrol deflections and I'll be up and flying soon. I opted to mount the Evolution 20GX upright, with a side mounted muffler. I like to see the engine. While most everyone else prefer the cowl to hide everything, I like being able to see and access the engine. I really like the Evolution gassers and want to see them. The build was very easy, even for an ARF.
Nice clean install. Looks good! Who makes the muffler?
Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fly24-7
LSP972 - get that 25e and we'll slot you in.

You mean this one???

Name:	DSC03164.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	1908335  
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 PM
fly24-7

LSP972 - Pulse Bro No. 10

So what you got in that thing?

Last edited by fly24-7; 08-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 PM
fly24-7

Anyone else notice that the 25 is the only one with the three color wheel pant? They should make them all like that.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 PM
fly24-7

Originally Posted by timshales
Let us know how it flies and how that engine is running.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
fly24-7

It's a shame they stopped selling the 125. Must not have sold well. Probably too close in size to the 60. Maybe they come back with something that's IMAA legal.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 PM
amc72

It's a shame they stopped selling the 125. Must not have sold well. Probably too close in size to the 60. Maybe they come back with something that's IMAA legal.
I second that suggestion.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I acquired a crashed XT40 with the firewall and landing gear plate torn out. I put in in the air this weekend with a YS 53 in the nose. The fuel tank is back on the CG. It's a great flyer and a floater also. I put one hour of flight time on it yesterday as timed by my TX timer.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 AM
8.point.roll

Smile

8.point.roll - got a pulse? If so, you'll get a number..
I sure do! Just putting the Saito 100 GK in her now... so if you would please, add me to the Pulse 60 XT Brotherhood, and I would greatly appreciate a number. Thanks Fly24-7 (great name you have there) !

I am curious what, if any, mods people have done to the arf.

Are people using standard (recommended size servos, or beefing them up w/ >torque/speed ?

Has everyone been satisfied w/ the CA hinges. They are not my preference, as Robart Pin Hinges are stronger and hold up for years. I have converted the wings to the pin hinge already. Tailfeathers are another story as there is so litle wood to attach to, I am probably going to keep the CA's in the aft section.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated as I am just in the middle of putting this baby together and it would be great to hear if anyone has suggestions that I might be able to incorporate at this stage.

Thank you all in advance.

-8pr-

Last edited by 8.point.roll; 08-19-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:30 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSP972 - Pulse Bro No. 10

So what you got in that thing?
E-Flite Power 32/60A ESC/APC 13X6.5E, on E-Flite 4S 3200mAh 20C sticks. Horizon has some nice package deals, and they make it easy to get started with one-stop shopping. So far, everything is working like a champ.

This little airplane continues to delight. I flew it yesterday in some felony wind (15-20mph, gusting to 25-30mph), and it was basically a non-event. It got tossed around at half-throttle, but at 75% throttle and above it punched right through like a larger, heavier glow-powered ship.

Vertical is "unlimited" through the first half of the battery; I was amazed at the power (it lifts off in, like, five feet). After watching how much juice was being used, I have settled on eight minute flights, with 30-35% battery remaining. Lots of looping, rolling, snapping, and in general just boring holes in the sky. IOW, I'm back to pure enjoyment, as opposed to sticking to a manuever schedule for points, etc. Been there, done that... no more.

The utter no-hassle of electrics (once you learn how to deal with lipos) is a wonderful thing, too. I just started an AeroWorks 52" Extra that I had planned to use this power package in. But this airplane is so much fun, I bought a new motor/ESC for the Extra and will keep the Pulse "operational".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.