Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

Old 08-19-2013, 02:01 PM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. Sounds like you nailed the set-up. Now all you need are the floats...
Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
fly24-7

A couple of photos of my 60...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1910370   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1910371  
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

So here is a picture of my landing after a few demo flights. I was not doing anything super stressful on the plane but it is 3 years old and well I am sure I bumped the tail a time or two. Anyway Half of the right horizontal stabilizer departed the aircraft and left the elevator hanging by the metal piece that ties the 2 halves together. As far as landings it was really uneventful for having pieces hanging off of it. It looked worse than it flew. SO.... after the pats on the back and the clapping I quickly got on the phone and now have a replacement being shipped from the Pulse birthing center Horizon Hobbies. I could have repaired and tried to match covering and all but for 25 bucks why bother. It was really shaping up to be a great flight to wowing the kids with a comedy stick I do where the plane talks to the kids. Small kids really like it. I was setting up for an inverted pass where I yell at the plane for trying to land upside down. Oh well at least it landed and will be around for a while longer.

Chris

Name:	pulse horizontal.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1910373  

Last edited by thebest_102; 08-19-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
fly24-7

Good save! I guess the bolt-on tail pays off. You don't have to replace the whole fuselage because of bad tail feathers.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

The bolt on tail would be great if it was in stock.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1911344  
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
fly24-7

Getting a consistant supply of product seems to be a problem for most all the manufacturers. They seem to struggle with avoiding carrying too much inventory versus keeping the hot movers in stock. Murphy's Law states they have too much of the stuff no one wants and not enough of the stuff everyone wants.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM
VictoryRoll

So, what is the consensus between; bolt on tail feathers for flexibility to remove/repair versus the epoxy on for strength?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 AM
bikerbc

On my Pulse I found the tail moved around enough that I needed to glue it solid.. I didn't use a lot of glue though just in case I ever want to remove the tail feathers.. I also made up a set of tail brace wires and put them on.. It is quite solid now..Before when the tail moved the elevator was always out of trim and control was not very positive .. To glue it I think I just used CA to tack it...If you don't think you will ever need to remove the tail for repairs you could epoxy it on...I just like the Idea of being able to remove it if I ever needed to repair or replace it...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:58 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Epoxy it on....and if you can - use the bolts to secure it!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 PM
amc72

I have to say bolt on for repairs. I only say that because this is the second repair of the season. I think this damage was hidden or at least weakened the wood.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 PM
bikerbc

Any glueing that you do is done along with the bolting that is done anyway ....
Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 PM
bikerbc

amc72 when I look on line the Pulse tail feathers are in stock now
Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 AM
fly24-7

I've had multiple H9 planes with bolt-on tails and have had good luck with them. No problems. I guess it depends how hard you fly them and how comfortable you are with them not being glued.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:20 PM
VictoryRoll

Thanks to everyone who responded to glue or not glue the tail-feathers.. much appreciated. I will probably glue.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:30 PM
bikerbc

Yes I have had quite a few bolt on tails too and most of them were quite secure but the one on the Pulse 125 wasent .. I also liked the idea of being able to replace the tail if it became necessary .. That's why when I glued it I just sort of tack glued it with ca to stop it from moving around and then I also added the flying wires as well.. The early 125 Pulses had a real problem with the tail . Quite a few of them were lost to flutter and you could get replacement tails by contacting the customer service dept. if you were having difficulty's .. I never had that problem and I have the newer improved version but I wanted to add flying wires anyway just to make it stronger ..I am not a hard flyer either .. I think some of the trouble the guys were having was they wanted to make the Pulse go as fast as it looked.. Its not really a fast plane .. Its more of a really nice Sunday flyer that looks great and fly's even better.. It is almost a beginner low wing trainer ..I love the Pulse..I am very disappointed that the 125 is discontinued .
Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM
bikerbc

VR if you do decide to glue mark the out line of where the vertical stabilizer intersects the horizontal stabilizer . so that you can remove the covering top and bottom...Cut about 1/8" inside the line and make sure you dont score the wood..Then remove the covering.. Glue it with slow cure epoxy so that you have time to Aline everything.. You will bolt it too and that will help...I imagine you all ready know how to do this but I thought I would toss it is just is case...Or you could do like I do and just tack glue it in several spots...It would require removing two strips of covering top and bottom.. Its been a while but I think that's what I did..
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 PM
thebest_102

I did not glue mine on and after that weekend I am glad I didn't as the repair was a non event. I checked it from time to time to ensure it was still tight. Mine was only a 60 sized pulse. When it first happened as I was setting up to land I was trying to figure out if I flew too fast or hard and caused a flutter. I could not think of any time it was extremely stressed. I imagine it was damaged from an impact of some sort while on the ground and it just let go. I have used this plane for a ton of demos both static and flying and loved the comfort of it in low inverted and upright fly-bys. After a bit of thinking on I figured I still have the plane so just let it go and fix it and fly it. I will most likely not glue this second stab in as it seems tight but after 100 or so flights it may get glued in who knows.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:44 PM
amc72

25e is still out, and they have a hefty price on them $50.49. I finished recovering last night so it will fly wind permitting Sunday.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 AM
VictoryRoll

@bikerbc, thanks so much for your input and advice. I had already removed the covering, but I am glad you detailed it, as it is always a good idea to review your methods. I appreciate all of your insight and help.
I think I will be doing the slow-cure epoxy route, and if I damage the tail-feathers, well, I will have to buy a new fuse and tail (probably a whole new plane given the costs of the fuse & tail individually! )

Thanks again!

-vr
Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM
thebest_102

So the re-maiden after the busted horizontal was extremely uneventful. It required no trim and flew just as I remember. In prep for my next pattern comp. I am using this plane to practice the sequence. It is absolutely amazing how similar it feels to my pattern plane in the sportsman sequence.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 PM
ndbuckhunter

I inherited a Pulse XT .60 from a friend. I have not yet flown it as I put a new Rx in the plane. Now that I have a Spektrum DX7, I want to program the Pulse into the DX7 for beginners to intermediate level. Can any of you help with what settings I should put into my DX7?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM
fly24-7

ndbuckhunter:

welcome to RCU and our thread. We're going to make you Pulse Bro No 11. Now on to your question. I recommend you go to Horizon Hobby's web site and do a search for Pulse XT 60. It should return the page for the plane among others for replacement parts. Go to the page for the plane and look for the "manuals" tab. Then download the manual. The manual has the recommended control throws for the plane. Note the throws for the low rates and start there. You will set the travel adjust for each channel so that the control surface travel's the desired amount. If you don't go beyond the recommended low rates, the plane will be easy to handle.

If everything I've just said is gibberish, then you really need airplane set-up 101. Let us know if you need more help.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:56 PM
ndbuckhunter

Thank you for the advice! I will go look at it. I was gonna set my DX7 to "factory settings" when I first fly, but I think its better to look at the recommended settings first. I have been flying since I was a little boy. But I grew up on 72 Mhz not Spektrum. I also recently got a Spektrum and still trying to figure out how to operate it.
Thanks for the help. Excited to be #11!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM
fly24-7

I bet you can find some YouTube videos on programming the radio that could be helpful. Do a search for DX7 programming and I expect you'll get some hits. You can also get the DX7 manual from Horizon's website. But you may not find it all that helpful. I used a DX7 for about 5 years. It's a real solid radio and one you get the hang of the menu structure in the radio, it's easy to navigate.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 AM
ndbuckhunter

I will do that this weekend. I have two other airplanes that require 7 channel system and with that, I was given the DX7 as a gift from a family member and have not looked back.
My Pulse has had a lot of abuse from my friend. There is a lot of work to do and before I can put her in the air. I am very excited to fly her though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.