Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

Hi all:

As I was tiding-up some items on my recently completed Pulse XT 60, it occurred to me that this family of planes has quietly become a significant fixture in the sport plane category of aeromodeling today. Over the years, there’s has to be a great number of models that have been sold, creating a sizable community of modelers who fly these planes.

It’s high time to establish a brotherhood that shares information and experiences on these models. So here we go…

Feel free to share:

- Which Pulse XT models you own or have owned.
- How your models are equipped.
- Your experiences with how your planes fly and how you fly them.
- Any modifications you’ve made or are considering making.
- What you’d like to see changed or improved on these models.
- What, if any, new variants you’d like to see added to the family.
- Anything else that comes to mind and is relevant.

I encourage both positive and negative feedback. With that said, please properly qualify your feedback as fact or opinion. Don’t misrepresent something as a fact when you have nothing to back it up. You’ll be called on it. Also, I’d appreciate if others wouldn’t torch a poster just for sharing an opinion. Simply state you disagree and offer a counterpoint.

At any rate, let it rip and let’s start building the encyclopedia on this great line of airplanes…
Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM
fly24-7

Default RE: H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

I'll start by sharing my own experiences. I'm on my fourth Pulse XT...

I started with a mini that was equipped with Spektrum servos, an E-flite park 450 motor and a 35 amp Great Planes Silver Series speed control. I've used a variety of 3 cell 1800-2100 mAh packs. I had the airplane for about 5 years. Overall, it flew well but I thought it could have benifited from a stronger motor. I would recommend the E-flite park 480 motor or equivalent. I dumped the plane in on New Years Day 2013 in a "first to fly" fun fly. Another pilot was landing - off target - and ran into my leg. I was startled to say the least and looked down to see if my leg had been hit or cut by his propellor. By the time I looked back up, my plane was in a bad atitude and too close to the ground to recover.

My second Pulse was the XT 40. It was equiped with an Evolution 46 and JR 537 servos. Radio was a DX7 with the AR7000 receiver. I loved that plane and almost flew it to death. I've put more flights on that plane than any other I've ever owned. I had that plane 6 years with probably 350-400 flights on it. It began to look really tired so I gave it to my dad when I put my first pulse xt 60 into service. he ultimately crashed it several months later. The airplane was low stress and great fun.

Number 3 was a pulse xt 60. Equiped with an O.S. AX75, Hitec 485 servos and a Spektrum AR7000 receiver. Sadly, that plane lasted only two months. In the middle of a flight, I started to experience intermitent control. I imediatedly turned in to land but lost control long enough to not be able to level out from the turn. Kaput... Turned out to be that a solder tab on the flight battery pack had come loose. All of the solder tabs were only spot welded. This model flew just like the 40. I would not discourage anyone from selecting the larger Pulse models over the smaller ones. They fly just as well.

So that brings me to my current model, Pulse XT 60 #2. Recently finished with 4 flights on it. It's equipped with an O.S. FS-95V four-stroke, Hitec 5485 digital servos and an AR 6100 receiver. The plane flies fantastic and sound of a four-stroke can't be beat. I've been working with several props to find the best fit. I think I've got it nailed down to a 14x7.

I'll throw some pictures on when I get a chance.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM
jeffsend
My Feedback: (4)

I fly an XT 40 equipped with O.S. .46ax,Futaba servos(3004's I think),and just recently switched over from Futaba FM to Hitec 2.4ghz radio. I've flown this plane for maybe 3 years now,and have really wrung it out. It is a lot of fun. It is capable of beautiful knife-edges,point rolls,stall turns,etc. I have not been able to get it to flat spin,but got close as I moved the cg back. I prefer to fly with the cg in the normal range however.
My Dad flies the 60 and I believe he has a Saito 100 on it. I have flown his 60 and one of the smaller electric versions as well. They all fly about the same,which is a good thing. Like most ARFs,the landing gear area could use some beefing up. I used to fly off a VERY rough asphalt runway,and one day hit a bump which ripped the gear out. It was still hanging below the plane and the belly landing resulted in the wheel pants being shoved through the wing. Dad helped me with the repair and I haven't had any problems since(until my radio glitch with FM). Still flying it though.
I feel the 40 size as I have it set up is about perfect for mild to wild sport flying. It's a little difficult to grease the landing without a bounce or two,and can ground loop in a cross-wind if you're not quick enough on the rudder. But for the most part,I wouldn't change anything aside from strengthening the landing gear area for those unexpected rough landings.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Ihave a Pulse XT 60 that started life with as OS 61 FX in the nose. After a year I converted it to fly on electric It now has a Turnigy 60, CC HV 80 ESC and flys on 8 cells at 4000MAH and a 16-8 APC prop. It has stanard sport servos nothing fancy. I have about 200 flights on it and have competed in a pattern contest with it. It has a airtronics radio and has flown great for just over 3 years now. It flies wonderfully and I have loved every time I take it to the field.

I helped a friend assemble his mini pulse XTand did the maiden on it. It seems a bit faster than the bigger version but flies well. It has all the recommended equipment and has a futaba radio.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 AM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: jeffsend

I fly an XT 40 equipped with O.S. .46ax,Futaba servos(3004's I think),and just recently switched over from Futaba FM to Hitec 2.4ghz radio. I've flown this plane for maybe 3 years now,and have really wrung it out. It is a lot of fun. It is capable of beautiful knife-edges,point rolls,stall turns,etc. I have not been able to get it to flat spin,but got close as I moved the cg back. I prefer to fly with the cg in the normal range however.
My Dad flies the 60 and I believe he has a Saito 100 on it. I have flown his 60 and one of the smaller electric versions as well. They all fly about the same,which is a good thing. Like most ARFs,the landing gear area could use some beefing up. I used to fly off a VERY rough asphalt runway,and one day hit a bump which ripped the gear out. It was still hanging below the plane and the belly landing resulted in the wheel pants being shoved through the wing. Dad helped me with the repair and I haven't had any problems since(until my radio glitch with FM). Still flying it though.
I feel the 40 size as I have it set up is about perfect for mild to wild sport flying. It's a little difficult to grease the landing without a bounce or two,and can ground loop in a cross-wind if you're not quick enough on the rudder. But for the most part,I wouldn't change anything aside from strengthening the landing gear area for those unexpected rough landings.
I agree on the bounce landings. The gear is soft and you have to work at not bouncing the landing. Fortunately, I've never ripped the gear out of mine, but what you experienced is a common outcome when wheel pants are installed. I haven't been able to get anything that resembles a flat spin, however, I'm not that gutsy to run the plane with the CG too far back.

Did you do any radio mixing to dial in knife edge flight?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 AM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: thebest_102

I have a Pulse XT 60 that started life with as OS 61 FX in the nose. After a year I converted it to fly on electric It now has a Turnigy 60, CC HV 80 ESC and flys on 8 cells at 4000MAH and a 16-8 APC prop. It has stanard sport servos nothing fancy. I have about 200 flights on it and have competed in a pattern contest with it. It has a airtronics radio and has flown great for just over 3 years now. It flies wonderfully and I have loved every time I take it to the field.

I helped a friend assemble his mini pulse XT and did the maiden on it. It seems a bit faster than the bigger version but flies well. It has all the recommended equipment and has a futaba radio.
I know a few guys who fly them configured for electric. They love them too. How did you do in the pattern contest with it? I expect that it could do pretty well in the basic (beginner) category. Maybe even sportsman...
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM
jeffsend

No mixing. When I first started flying it,I set up dual rates,but have since changed it to full rates with a good bit of expo to simulate the dual rate experience without having to flip a switch. As for flying knife-edge,I generally come in low,then go to about 3/4 throttle and pull up slightly to establish a climb before rolling over into knife-edge. Otherwise she will begin to drop. Then I hold in full,or nearly full rudder,and just a touch of up elevator since she pulls towards the gear. I'm probably holding in a touch of opposite aileron too,but with a bit of practice,I never found it too difficult. There is a little finessing of the sticks involved to maintain a consistent heading. I will sometimes fly a knife-edge pass down the runway,then turn and pass the opposite direction with the bottom facing me. This can be exciting and took lots of practice to get the confidence up! Someone who is really good could probably fly knife-edge circuits.

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

I agree on the bounce landings. The gear is soft and you have to work at not bouncing the landing. Fortunately, I've never ripped the gear out of mine, but what you experienced is a common outcome when wheel pants are installed. I haven't been able to get anything that resembles a flat spin, however, I'm not that gutsy to run the plane with the CG too far back.

Did you do any radio mixing to dial in knife edge flight?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM
jeffsend

Just remembered I have a video showing Dad flying his 60 and me flying my 40......
http://youtu.be/8P1FPu8BidA

Also remembered some more details to share.....I did not like the original axles,which were just threaded bolts. I bent them on the maiden flight when I ground-looped the landing. I replaced them with Dubro axles,and ended up replacing the tailwheel assembly with a Sullivan. These are both good upgrades if they are still providing the same hardware. I also wore out the ca hinges on the rudder and luckily caught it before having an accident. I replaced them with pinned hinges. The ca hinges are still holding on the rest of the control surfaces,but they don't swing as far as the rudder does.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

So, are you making a "Brotherhood" for the Pulse 60 or Pulse Xt's??  If so, Can I have a number?

Also, if not, is there a forum dedicated to the Pulse 60 XT?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the XT60 flies anything like the Pulse 125....then it is a great plane!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to purchase the 25 size electric version, as a first electric plane. I wasn't interested in a park flyer, or a foamie, and this one looked like a decent sport model.

I hope so... this e-power gig is rather expensive when one is starting from scratch.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:05 AM
RANGER61

Hi all, I have a H9 Pulse 60 with a O.S 75. 6volt battery, and hightork digital servos. It,s a beautiful plane that I have flown only a handful of times. I am a fairly new pilot and flying it makes me so nervous I can't keep my hands from shaking. I just up graded my trainer from an old flat bottom to the new Avistar 40. Trying to get the landings down with the slippery wing of the new Avistar . But what I really want to do is fly my Pulse XT60. Just can't get rid of the shakes. Anybody have any thoughts to overcome the shakes
Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 AM
jeffsend

Ranger61
Only advice I can give,is to get in lots of flying. I don't know how proficient you are with the Avistar,but I'd suggest mastering it first. It is a very capable airframe,and I was wringing mine out prior to stepping up to a Pulse 40. Then as I began flying the Pulse,I would always get in a warm up flight or two with the Avistar first. It's experience that will make the shakes go away. There will always be something that brings them back a little(for me it's having spectators,or even sometimes just the first flight of the day). But the more experience you get,the less they should bother you. And if you do get the shakes while flying,just remember to take it easy. Stay focused,but try to give yourself a chance to breathe by keeping some altitude and keeping the wings level as much as possible. If the plane is properly trimmed,it should pretty much fly itself when the wings are kept level,and this can sort of give you a mental break.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 AM
8.point.roll

Ranger61: What @jeffsend said.

Also, if you do not subscribe to Model Airplane News, go out and buy the this months' issue (Sept. 2013 issue, page 34). You could also borrow a club member's copy.... In there you can read the article about how to hold the sticks for accuracy improvements (an alternative pinch method )... It is a great article and since I have incorporated that technique, over my previous thumb method, my flyiing has greatly improved, especially in the very area that you describe. All of us have that problem to some degree, even the very best/pros.

You may also try to incorporate a tad bit of exponential (expo) into your computer radio to help alleviate some of the shakes... maybe 10%-20%, and as you improve and get more comfortable with the plane and sticks, you can start to remove the expo or leave it as is.

Hope that helps a bit.

- 8pr -
Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
RANGER61

Jeffsend.
thankyou for yor reply and the great advice. I just got back from the field and had a great day flying my Avistar. Making good progress using the flaps for landing which is totally new for me. Didn't have the shakes nearly as bad today.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM
RANGER61

Thanks to 8.point roll for your reply
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM
jeffsend

Very cool! I didn't realize you had the new version of the Avistar. They've made quite a few changes from the old version I have. Mine has a one piece wing,held on by rubber bands. And lacks the access hatch in the nose. Landing gear is different too. I'd like to see how it compares in performance. I'm sure the flaps and a new dimension to the fun. If I didn't want to get into larger aircraft,I'd probably have to pick one up,just to see what it's like.

ORIGINAL: RANGER61

Jeffsend.
thankyou for yor reply and the great advice. I just got back from the field and had a great day flying my Avistar. Making good progress using the flaps for landing which is totally new for me. Didn't have the shakes nearly as bad today.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:30 PM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: thebest_102

I have a Pulse XT 60 that started life with as OS 61 FX in the nose. After a year I converted it to fly on electric It now has a Turnigy 60, CC HV 80 ESC and flys on 8 cells at 4000MAH and a 16-8 APC prop. It has stanard sport servos nothing fancy. I have about 200 flights on it and have competed in a pattern contest with it. It has a airtronics radio and has flown great for just over 3 years now. It flies wonderfully and I have loved every time I take it to the field.

I helped a friend assemble his mini pulse XT and did the maiden on it. It seems a bit faster than the bigger version but flies well. It has all the recommended equipment and has a futaba radio.
Hi

Which motor are you using ?

Are you running with two four cell packs in series ? Do they fit in without having to make significant alterations ?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 AM
bikerbc

I have the Pulse 125 XT and have been flying it for 3 yrs.. It is getting pretty beat up and I would like to replace it but they are discontinued...I really like the plane so I might buy the 60 size one.. I have thought about it anyway.. I would put an OS 75 AX on it I think... I have a OS 120 AX on my 125 Pulse and it is more than it needs ..I just love how the Pulse flys.. I had to move the gear forward about an inch because it was a little trippy , and my tail wheel broke almost rite away so I replaced it with a Sullivan ,I glued my tail on and put tail wires on to stiffen it up a bit but I never had the flutter that other's complained of but then I tend to fly slower than average... I dont see any brother hood numbers here .. Is this a club we are starting? If so I will take a number please...Or lets start a club if one hasen't been started... Can we do that ? I will start it off and keep track.... Ken Pulse brother # 1
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
tailskid

I'm flying mine (125 Pulse) with a DLE 20 and LOVE it!!!!

Can I get Pulse # 2?

Jerry
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM
bikerbc

I dont see why not Pulse brother # 1 Biker BC
Pulse brother # 2 Tailskid
Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 AM
jeffsend

Yeah I'm not sure what happened to the O.P.
I bet that 125 is fun with the DLE20. That's the first I've heard of a Pulse running gas. I have been considering a gasser. I love how they sip the fuel. And of course,bigger planes are big fun!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
tailskid

Talk about fun.....the 125 + DLE 20cc makes this a cheap alternative for fun flying! I'm now flying it with a 3-bladed 15/7 due to ground clearance and because I fly off a hard surface (Dirt baked in the Arizona Sun), it still gets beat up a bit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30965.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1902124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71142.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1902125  
Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM
thebest_102

Sorry for the delay. I won the contest with my pulse. I have taken about 20 flights after the conversion that were dedicated to trimming and set up.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
thebest_102

I have the turnigy easy match motor .60 on the nose. I run 2-4 cell 4000 mah packs in series. I lost the battery tray that came with the plane so I have the batteries strapped in just like the fuel tank was in the same area. The batteries actually sit in the that space with no alterations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.