Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Goldberg Models Sport Flying

I can't think of a another company that helped me into the air and to enjoy sport flying more than Carl Goldberg Models. I've flown both kits and ARF models. I started with the Mirage 550 EP model, then the Eagle 2, Tiger 2, Freedom 20 and the Extra 300 for built up kits. I also flew the following ARF models: Tiger 400, Laser 200, Skylark and Super Chipmunk. I started thinking about this after I went out to fly the Super Chipmunk, that is currently produced by Great Planes. I marvel at how well this small airplane flies and how much I enjoyed all of the other models through the years. I can't say I ever had a quality issue or a bad flying model from CGM. If you want to try something else to fly, there are many of these kits and ARF models available at your LHS or out of production kits on RCU or other websites. I feel fortunate to have the pleasure of flying models from such a company that bears the name of the great modeler himself, Carl Goldberg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I agree CG stuff flies great. I've had a Tiger 60 arf, Eagle II arf, and a used Eaglet.
    My Falcon III is near done. I'm restoring a Falcon 56 Mk II, and I have a Senior Falcon
    waiting it's turn. The Super Chipmonk is on my wish list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falcon covering 013.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	1914625  
    Sig brotherhood #83
    Sig Kadet brotherhood #101
    AKA MrBreeze
    73's KK4MSE
    "I've always been crazy, ...but it's kept me from going insane" -Waylon Jennings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My first plane over 30 years ago was a Golberg Falcon 56. She took a beating and as they say just kept on ticking. I still have 3 Tigers that I fly and a few kits to build. Dave
    If the screw ain\'t loose then things ain\'t normal.

Dave Agar
    AMA#97144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes, the Tigers fly nice. I had one before the ARF version came out. It had an Enya .53 4 stroke on it and I flew it for 10+ years. I only fly EP models now and even the CGM ARF models fly well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The Tiger 60 with retracts is one of my favorites. They are such clean flying planes. Dave
    If the screw ain\'t loose then things ain\'t normal.

Dave Agar
    AMA#97144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have enjoyed several CG Models kits and notice the current offerings are shrinking every year. Bummer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It is a bummer. If you go to the GGM website, they show most of the discontinued kits and ARF models. They only carry a fraction of what they used to. They down sized or were sold off to a company that didn't want to carry all the inventory. Either way, it is really too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I too started with a Falcon 56, not a MKI, MKII or the MKII, it was the OLD first version. I had an O.S. FP 35 in the nose and flew it so much O wore the tire off. It was so beat and trashed, more patches than covering, yet still flew very well. I have had (2) Cubs, (2) Chipmunks, (2) Jr. Tigers, (1) Sr Falcon, (1) Tiger, more CL planes than I can count, free flight planes, man o man, I loved those planes.

I was bummed when the Tigers were stopped. I so wanted a Tiger with retracts.

Most people do not build now, if they do it is foam, carbon rods, flown, crashed, hot glued, then a new foam plane.

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Definitely a great company. Sig and Craftair are up there in the same league as well.
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I've flown a few CGM over the years, started with a Eagle II and I still have his Yak 54 77" and love flying that plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I only have one CG plane...the Ultimate 10-300 but I recall it being a fantastic build 21 years ago, and it is still one of my faves in my squadron. It still has the original ABS cowl! But it was designed strong yet fairly light, and to fly beautifully. I still fly it once a month. Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010030.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	1922404  
    Last edited by maukaonyx; 09-18-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood #01
    Club Saito #707
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #97

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow nice picture Jon,

I loved my freedom 20 , the more repairs I did on it the better it seemed to fly. When the wing was finally totalled, I cut a foam wing from an RCM plan for an aircraft called the Canard Assisted Tailess. The plane flew even better, I could hold full back stick with the plane at idle and it would come down almonst vertically and never really stall.

I also had a tiger 2, got one wing clipped off in a fun fly mid-air, so I cut a foam wing panel and spliced it to the wood panel. It flew but the wing would bend at the wood/foam junction under G loads so I felt it was unsafe and cut a complete foam wing for it. I put huge alerons on it and now it completely departs flight doing a snap roll(more like a tumble) then just resumes flight like nothing ever happened.

Calvi.
    Ultra Sport Brother # 144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5374.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	1924813

I inherited an old kit-built Tiger 2 from a buddy of mine my very first year in the hobby. I'm still flying it regularly, and my buddy who gave it to me can't believe the plane is still holding together. He swears it will just come apart in mid-flight one day as the 20-year old epoxy finally gives out, but so far this old bird hasn't missed a beat. I had it recovered a few years ago, and it's a big hit with folks in Cincinnati now.

I have a Tiger 2 ARF that I've flown as well, it needs a little bit of work and I'm thinking about putting lights all over it and making it a night flyer. The Tiger 2 is so predictable and stable that I think it would be a good choice. The ARF isn't so nice that I'd be overly upset about losing it if I'm wrong.

I also have a Protιgι 60 ARF that Goldberg was shipping shortly before Hobbico acquired them. It's a wonderful airplane, basically a high wing version of the Tiger 60, that flies beautifully and displays well in the air with the factory trim scheme. I like it so much that I quit flying it with students.

As long as Goldberg designs are sold only as kits, model building will continue by necessity.
    Electric RC planes are like non-alcoholic beer, they are OK in a pinch if the real thing is not available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I too have been a Goldberg fan. I have had, and still have the following: Eagle, Eaglet, SkyTiger, Skytiger Jr, Tiger 2, and recently picked up and restored an old Skylark.

All are really easy to build and are great kits to learn the ropes of balancing and trimming. Too bad they are not offering the kits as much. I had two of their ARFs and after years of building their kits, was really disappointed because of the problems I had with the covering and the really cheap construction. I had the Tiger 2 ARF come apart in mid air and this model took as much time to assemble, due to a number of fit and poor quality issue, as it took me to build the kit.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have never been with out a Tiger for quite a few years , They are a very nice plane.. The one I am flying right now is a 60 tail dragger with a OS 75 ax .Carl Goldberg really knew what he was doing .His kits are easy to build and easy to bash .
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well, let me join the CG gang, I have too enjoyed building most of the kits, Extra 300, Ultimate Bipe, falcon and more, I'mcurrently restoring my 16 years old CG cub, this time she is going to be pulled by an OS 70 Surpass and guided by my 10 ch 2.4 Futaba.
    Last edited by CARS II; 10-19-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    Carlos R.
    Go fly a Jet today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool

Falcon 56 and Gentle Lady here

Carl Goldberg Models was founded in 1955.

1959: AMA Fellow
    1969: Model Aviation Hall of Fame
    1978: National Free Flight Society Hall of Fame
    1984: Vintage Radio Control Society Hall of Fame
    1984: Howard McEntee Award
    1992: Society of Antique Modelers Hall of Fame
    1996: Kits and Plans Antiquitous Hall of Fame

http://www.modelaviation.com/carlgoldberg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7937073586_ba28c81e01_z.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	1932996
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a Tiger 2 kit that I am just starting to build and Extra 300 that I have been working on for a while. Like the the Goldberg planes, learned to fly with a Falcon 56 back in the 90's.