Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is this servo adequate for a .60 - .90 size sport model

I am in the final stages of putting together a 65" span sport type model and was wondering if a servo with specs. of .21 sec. / 80 ozs. of torque @ 6.0 volts would be adequate for the ailerons. The model will be used for mild aerobatic sport type flying.
    Last edited by karolh; 08-19-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    .21 sec for travel speed at 6v is pretty slow. I have some servos on ailerons at .20 sec travel speed and the roll is pretty slow. I would suggest something in the .14 to .12 sec range.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Edwin thanks for your reply, but is it only the speed of the servo that dictates the speed of a roll, or is it the combination of servo speed and the amount of aileron deflection.

Karol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I dont know, but I have similar planes with different servos, and I notice a difference in roll rate.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am using these servos and they have been great. I am not using them any where near their ratings. I have mine in a 90 sized 3D plane.

The servo speed will help a little in response time. It will get to full throw faster so the aileron is at full throw faster.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d772.html

Buzz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Buzz, the servos in question that I have are the Solar A109 analog as those you are currently using would be way over the top for my needs, plus I need some analog units to go with those I already have for the model.

Karol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have Hitec HS-5485HB all around on my Hangar 9 Pulse XT 60 (70 in. WS). These servos are 89 oz/in. and 0.17 sec. at 6V. I have no complaints.
    Never underestimate the importance of altitude...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Use one of these servo torque calculators and it will tell you everything you need to know:
    http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Servo%20To...0Caculator.htm

Servo speed alone, does not translate to aircraft reaction speed. Aircraft reaction speed is a function of servo torque, servo speed and surface deflection. If the servo is not strong enough to deflect the surface, the airplane will go no-where. Plus you need the torque for the servo to move at the speed you would like it to move. Using a servo torque calculator, will give you the required torque for a specific application and then the servo will move at the speed advertised.

Rafael
    Keep your eyes on the sky but your feet on the ground!
    Team Heliproz.com / AMA # 8109

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This torque calculator is really neat and an extremely useful tool to have, thanks for sharing. The results obtained from using it makes it quite obvious that we often times use servos much more powerful than what is actually needed to adequately power the control surfaces on our models.

Karol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Karolh, those servos are WAY more than my needs too, but they are priced well and so I bought them.

What plane are you building? We used to use a single servo for a 65 inch pattern plane so if you use a 90 oz torque per aileron, should be way over kill. I flew my first Goldberg Super Chipmunk for many years with a single Airtronics 94102 standard servo rate at something like 45 ounces of torque powering both ailerons. Never failed me.

I have been using these servo's. They have been great. I have them in 4 planes right now. Not a problem with them. Good price too.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo14.html

Buzz.

P.S. If it is worth doing, it is worth OVER doing