Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

BTE Venture 60 Gas Engine

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

BTE Venture 60 Gas Engine

Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Battle Short
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BTE Venture 60 Gas Engine

Recently I purchased a Venture 60 kit from BTE. Nice man on the phone and prompt shipment, well packed kit. I haven't fully unpacked nor inventoried the kit but have spent the last week reading build threads so I'm confident it is all there or will be made whole should a part be missing.

My original plan was to use a (yet unpurchased) Saito 82 Four Stroke glow engine for power. I have been reading up and exploring various options from 2 strokes to a YS 70 to a Saito 82 gasoline engine. I am leaning toward the gasoline engine due to fuel costs but am concerned that it will have enough power. Can anyone with experience with both the glow and gas Saito four strokes give me some insight to this? Is the gasoline engine comparable in power to the glow engine of the same size? More to the point, will it be a good engine for this airplane?

This will be my third plane to fly. The first was a Tower Hobbies 60 size trainer w/Magnum XLS-61A (currently awaiting repairs from dumb thumb syndrome), the second is a NexStar with a .46AX that I am currently flying. I put in the dual ailerons with flaps on the NexStar. I want to purchase the engine prior to starting the build.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've built and flown the Venture and it's a great flying plane. You will be very pleased with it. The only concerns I would have with going gas would be that there isn't much room in the fuselage to put your ignition system in. The fuselage for the Venture doesn't have a lot of room to spare in it, so you may be hard pressed to fit the gas engine in there. I have an OS 60 FX on my Venture and it's more than enough power. You will be fine using your YS 70 in it.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Battle Short
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken thank you for responding. I was curious about where to put the ignition, I don't know if the plug wire is long enough to reach past the fuel tank or if it is easily replaceable. I was actually considering putting the module beside the tank, using a smaller tank due to the lower fuel consumption of the gasoline vs glow fuel. My biggest question is if the power of the gas engine (Saito FG 14C) is comparable to the same size glow (Saito 82 AAC). I do realize the gas would have the added weight of the ignition and battery.

I am leaning towards one of the Saito 82 size, just haven't decided which one. I would prefer the gas, but don't want to underpower my airplane. The YS70 is very tempting but I think it would be more costly in the long run due to its fuel requirement-I still haven't ruled it out.

Glenn
Old 10-21-2013, 01:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

With a gas engine you can actually move the fuel tank back. You can put the ignition directly behind the firewall and move the fuel tank back into the fuselage. You are still going to be fighting a room issue though. With a gas engine there is a pump inside that will pull the fuel from the extra distance, whereas a glow engine needs to have the tank as close as possible.

Ken