Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Rapture .40

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Great Planes Rapture .40

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:40 PM
dingo9882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Rapture .40

I was wondering if anybody has any information on the great planes rapture 40. I was reading that it was a good second plane as well as a good plane for people who have never built a plane before. Is this a good plane to choose? Are there other planes out there that would be a better kit or plane? If anybody could give me any advise on this subject that would be great.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Rapture .40

The GP Rapture would be an excellent plane for what you're looking for. It is designed for the first-time builder, and GP has one of the best instruction manuals in the business. It's an outstanding flier, and it looks really nice too!

I would say, Go 4 it!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 AM
stallspeed

You need to check out the Sig 4-star 40. Read all the user reviews on this aircraft, its a hands down winner. I have built both Sig kits as well as Great Planes kits, both have excellent manuels and plans, but Sig has a slight advantage. The Sig fit and finish of ply and balsa is the benchmark standards that others need to match. Its just my opinion the 4-star looks better than the Rapture. If this is going to be your first kit build do your homework and research the 4-star series. I have hundreds of flights on mine and every flight is as enjoyable as the first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80891.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	358431  
Old 11-22-2005, 06:55 AM
MinnFlyer

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... uhh, I mean beholder.

Personally, while the 4* is a great flier, I think it looks like a crop duster.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

I am currently finishing a Rapture to be used as a rough field flier. The 4 star seems like it has fewer parts than the Rapture as well as being a little lighter. The Rapture builds into a stronger airframe and I think it will fly faster then the 4 star. You can't go wrong with either choice, both are very easy to build and fly great. I personally don't care for the tail dragger setup of the Rapture though, doesn't look right to me.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:22 PM
stallspeed

[:'(] You say "crop duster" like thats a bad thing? Hey that gives me an idea, it would be fun to kit bash a four* into a crop duster plane similiar to say a Cessna Agwagon. I have seen photos of it been done before looked real good. Heck I would love to take a full size crop duster plane up for a ride- seems like a good reason to get a tail dragger rating.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM
kranie

I just finished building a Rapture for my youngest daughter. My oldest (age 10) has been flying for 3 years.

she loves ducks. I was hoping it would dissapear as she got older- but nope....

Overall I enjoyed building the plane. My oply gripes where the turtle deck, which is weak, and the wing tips, which are thin and also weak. With an OS 52 4 stroke it ran just under 5 lbs. the only change I made was increasing the diahdral an inch.

Name:	Ca80841.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	891866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47928.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	891867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68342.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	891868  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 PM
MinnFlyer

~Rubber ducky, you're the one~

Damn, now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. [:@]

Old 03-14-2008, 03:34 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: kranie

she loves ducks. I was hoping it would dissapear as she got older- but nope....
Looks good. If she likes ducks, give her ducks. It's really nice that you built her what she wants.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:53 PM
kranie

Sometimes thats what is takes to get them to want to fly. Of the 2 fields at fly at. I have the youngest flyers as well as the only girl pilot(s).

The past couple of years the older members of the clubs got a kick out of watching my oldest (age 9) wringing out her Venus, powered by an os 50SX (it really moves) Snap rolls, tail slides, hammer heads ect. It was fun to watch.

Taking the girls with me to the flying field means my wife gets a break from them- which in turn means less resistance for me wanting to go to the flying field!

The ducks I can handle- But I must admit the hippy flowers (on the bottom- is shown in under my gallery)....ahhhh that really hurt butting them on....
Old 04-13-2008, 04:05 AM
NorfolkSouthern

The Rapture 40 would be an OK second plane, but I wouldn't recommend it as a primary trainer. Although mine tracks well and is smooth, it's not very forgiving if taken beyond its limits. My Rapture turned out to be durable and my fuselage held up well in a crash. The wing was a different story, where one of the spars broke and the leading edge separated near the center. The right tip was crushed. It's just about fixed now, and I hope to re-maiden it within the next month or so.

NorfolkSouthern

Name:	Fd93292.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	928211  
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM
sylvaner

That looks like a ReBath Duck piloting that plane. [sm=shades_smile.gif] I think I'll teach one of mine to fly.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by minnflyer
~rubber ducky, you're the one~

damn, now i'm gonna have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. [:@]

:d
hahahaha