Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

futaba or spectrum?

Being that I have been out of the hobby for a while, the last two radios I had were a futaba conquest and a skysport back some fifteen years ago.What I need a little help in is what radio would suit me best?(or is it a Chevrolet VS. Ford kind of thing).What I mean suites me best is ,technology is different. just wanting something simple that will hold ten models six -eight channel?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Oh boy.

Ford vs Chevy

Find one that fits your hands comfortably. Ignore all the "easier to program" and "better technology" responses you will get from the fan boys.

I have both, they both work.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    thanks for the advice BarracudaHockey

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I also have both, and both work great.

Bob
    Fly It Like You Stole It!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Check with your local club....very often we 'need' something to make our radios work and someone has that item IF the majority of pilots are using that brand of radio......I especially need 'them' when it comes to programming - and someone comes to my rescue because they have the same brand as I do........
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have Futaba, and have been very happy with it..Most of my friends use Spektrum and are happy with them. IF you want to do a lot of plug n play type stuff.. You want Spektrum.. Thats what nearly all of it is.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have flown Futaba for more years than I care to remember. Our field has a mix of everything and while I am not knocking Spectrum, I have seen more issue's with binding than I would think is normal. Spectrum is compatible with most of the bind and fly stuff on the market which is a consideration if you are leaning in that direction. Other than that, Chevy vs Ford.....Good Luck, Dave
    If the screw ain\'t loose then things ain\'t normal.

Dave Agar
    AMA#97144

I started this hobby with futaba, so I'm a bit swayed.... I have an GS 14, thats all the radio I need for now.
    Cub Brother # 203

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I own both. I've owned Futaba radios for about 30yrs. Several different models, from the FG series to Conquest, to 6XAS, and then bought my 9C when they came out in '01... I've had great service from every one of them. I still use my 9C frequently... I sold the rest of the Futabas... as with a 9C I didn't need anything else... until.....I bought my Spektrum DX7 about 3yrs ago... when Horizon was coming out with a bunch of the "Bind-N-Fly" planes and heli's.. and the Spektrum has performed flawlessly... and I've incorporated that into my glow and gas powered planes... and have set up a few of the newer planes up with the Spektrum 2.4... but both the Futaba system and Spektrum are very worthy for mainstream RC stuff.. Its a tough choice... I can say I'm not very impressed with Futabas current line up.. and haven't been for a few years.. but they both work fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    +1... I've got a Toytota AND a Nissan...
    love my Futaba and my Spectrum Radios.
    try them both, keep the one that YOU like.
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    I also have both, and both work great.

Bob

Whay Bob said. I have both and have never detected a "glitch" with either. Have been a Futaba user since the 70's and I bought a Spektrum DX6i as a "beater" for my E-flite foam electrics and slapped an AnyLink on it for Flyzone but am thinking on a 9 channel or better as I start to get into better electric models.
    Last edited by Charlie P.; 05-05-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For all the good radios out on the market now there are also some that some folks would never own, that said the best research is seeing what is most popular in your area.
    I myself am mainly a Futaba flyer but also use a Spektrum for those BNF planes that Horizon keeps pumping out. Either one would be a good choice and a seven channel would be good enough without breaking the bank. It was mentioned before not to pay attention to the folks who say programming is better/worse in one brand over the other and that hold true because the folks who say the other is worse have never had experience with it.
    The Futaba 7 channel has a smaller screen than the Spektrum DX7S (not a major consideration) but the DX also has telemetry capabilities which could also be a deciding factor.
    Hope you find the radio that suits you best,

Tony
    BalsaUSA Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I prefer Futaba. But if I woke up tomorrow and Futaba didn't exist, I wouldn't cry very long about flying JR or Spektrum.

I used a 9C from 2002-just about a month ago when I upgraded to the 14SG. I've played with Spektrum and JR systems a little when I was starting to make the change over to 2.4GHz. Like I said, I prefer Futaba hands down, but that doesn't mean that others aren't any good.

And Ford > Chevy. But I drive a Toyota, so what do I know...