Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

The Ultimate Sport Plane?

Reply

Old 09-17-2014, 10:44 AM
  #101  
308jockey
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 390
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The original Kaos has to be right at the top with the Super and Ultimate variants right there with it. For a bipe it's the Andrews Aeromaster. As for ARFs I think the original .40 sized Escapade may be one of the nicest flying airplanes available.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:35 PM
  #102  
denonpmb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mattoon, Il.
Posts: 15
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 308jockey View Post
The original Kaos has to be right at the top with the Super and Ultimate variants right there with it. For a bipe it's the Andrews Aeromaster. As for ARFs I think the original .40 sized Escapade may be one of the nicest flying airplanes available.

Rick H.
+1 for the Escapade!! I just got mine flying, and although somewhat overpowered with an FS 70, the plane flies beautifully, and handles very well. Even with the heavier motor, it is only very slightly nose heavy, and slows down nicely for landing.
denonpmb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM
  #103  
bikerbc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SorrentoBritish Columbia, CANADA
Posts: 2,018
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

An Ultra Sport is a decent plane too . I still like the Tiger 60 better but the Ultra Sport will perform more maneuvers . I don't fly mine much because I put retracts in it and I find them to be a pain in the tail . They will bend on take off if I am not carefull .
bikerbc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:06 PM
  #104  
Greybeard1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 175
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I do some necrotic things anyhow. Surprised, but my choice for the most fun would be the Magnum 40, sorry, but you have to scratch it from RCM plans, still available. BUT, you might be tempted to change the airfoil, in doing so, you ruin the plane. The double reflex isn't that hard to cover with an iron on, just make sure the ribs are smooth and iron each rib separately. That plane will hang, engine out, slower than any other plane I've ever seen. It's fairly quick, but not overly fast. Built around a K&B 4011, and that's plenty of power, it doesn't need more. There are a lot of things that can be done to it, none of which will improve anything. Dan Santich knew what he was doing when he designed this one.
Greybeard1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 PM
  #105  
binns aero
 
binns aero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: west milford nj
Posts: 140
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

How about a minnie?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aircraft house 433.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2050995  
binns aero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
  #106  
Greybeard1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 175
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Greybeard1 View Post
Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I do some necrotic things anyhow. Surprised, but my choice for the most fun would be the Magnum 40, sorry, but you have to scratch it from RCM plans, still available. BUT, you might be tempted to change the airfoil, in doing so, you ruin the plane. The double reflex isn't that hard to cover with an iron on, just make sure the ribs are smooth and iron each rib separately. That plane will hang, engine out, slower than any other plane I've ever seen. It's fairly quick, but not overly fast. Built around a K&B 4011, and that's plenty of power, it doesn't need more. There are a lot of things that can be done to it, none of which will improve anything. Dan Santich knew what he was doing when he designed this one.
My error, plans unavailable. Sorry.
Greybeard1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM
  #107  
freefall2907
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottumwa IA
Posts: 48
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

original Kaos by far my favorite,

freefall2907 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:45 PM
  #108  
captinjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hesperia Michigan, MI
Posts: 12,928
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1168.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2244550I have a Pro 260 by Aeroworks. It really goes strait up with a 22cc engine on It !
captinjohn is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:52 AM
  #109  
smkrcflyer
 
smkrcflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamburg, PA
Posts: 943
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

What's a good sport plane (Sunday flyer) for a 20cc gas engine? One would be a Stick but what else. Could be kit or ARF.
smkrcflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:04 AM
  #110  
Super08
My Feedback: (2)
 
Super08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CANADA
Posts: 4,104
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The 4*120 flys not too bad on a 20cc. The 30cc is better but it really does do well with a DLE 20. Guys flew them for years on 23 and 26 cc weed wacker conversions.
Super08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:12 AM
  #111  
smkrcflyer
 
smkrcflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamburg, PA
Posts: 943
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Super08 View Post
The 4*120 flys not too bad on a 20cc. The 30cc is better but it really does do well with a DLE 20. Guys flew them for years on 23 and 26 cc weed wacker conversions.
The 4*120 looks good. Clipping the wings might help the 20cc. Ill have to look for a build thread.
smkrcflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:30 PM
  #112  
Super08
My Feedback: (2)
 
Super08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CANADA
Posts: 4,104
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

There is a big build thread in here somewhere...
Super08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:36 AM
  #113  
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,607
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer View Post
What's a good sport plane (Sunday flyer) for a 20cc gas engine? One would be a Stick but what else. Could be kit or ARF.
It's getting kinda long in the tooth now, but the 70" Great Planes Revolver is absolutely awesome powered by a 20. Maybe towards the high end of "sport" planes, it can be setup to fly well over 100mph, and land at trainer speeds. Most will be limited only by the pilot's abilities.
ahicks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:42 AM
  #114  
smkrcflyer
 
smkrcflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hamburg, PA
Posts: 943
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The Revolver 70 is one of the planes Ive been looking at.
smkrcflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy