Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Sport Plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

The Ultimate Sport Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 AM
HFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Flyer
IS it?

The website for Juno RC still works and lists the Tsuanami 40 for sale. http://www.junorc.com/kits.html

Wouldn't mind having a 60 size though Hobby People have the VQ Taipan (US 60 clone?) http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-arf-blue.html

Also, Tower Hobbies now carries the Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARF (Sure looks like a clone of the CG Tiger II): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBHM&P=0

Bill S.
As fas as I know, Derek Staha, owner of Juno R/C is living in Hong Kong, and tough the company still offers CAD services it does not manufacture kits any more. Perhaps I'm not updated and Derek is manufacturing kits again ???
Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbc
I am a big fan of the Tigers .. They are a decent looking , awesome flying plane with a few mods ..
I am with bikerbc on this. The Carl Goldberg Tigers are fully aerobatic, but they fly as easy as any trainer. Rolling one right after take-off and climbing out inverted is a comfortable thing to do. Best part is though is that with the CG in the right place, the nose is way high on a nice slow approach which makes the prettiest landings.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Carl Goldberg Tigers are fully aerobatic
Not quite fully. They don't recover well from inverted flat spins.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by HighPlains
Not quite fully. They don't recover well from inverted flat spins.
Should we ask how you found out?

As for the ultimate sport airplane? My vote goes to a nice classic pattern airplane. I picked up a MK Aurora that was built in 1990 and have been having a blast with it. It's fast, aerobatic and has great manners.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I emailed Derek and he is no longer producing kis. He does have a few left. Email him with your request. Note, the request I made was offered at a much higher price than the web site shows but included shipping.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 AM
HFrank

Fortunately I still have my Tsunami, and it still looks like the day of its maiden flight , BUT... perhaps I could order one just in case... Just for curiosity, which is the current price of the kit ?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Left-Hand-Dan

Originally Posted by Twin_Flyer
IS it?

The website for Juno RC still works and lists the Tsuanami 40 for sale. http://www.junorc.com/kits.html

Wouldn't mind having a 60 size though Hobby People have the VQ Taipan (US 60 clone?) http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-arf-blue.html

Also, Tower Hobbies now carries the Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARF (Sure looks like a clone of the CG Tiger II): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBHM&P=0

Bill S.
I nseen the taipan. Deffinatly a US60 clone but I wonder if its changed just enough that it doesn't fly as well as a real US. I know Iiked my US60 was more than my king kobra. Then I seen the EastRC LUCKY13. I like have to try that one!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Left-Hand-Dan

The tigers can't do anymore than a stick with 3D type throws and deffinatly not above what a pulse can do yet it still flies as well and slow as a tiger so I can't put my vote in for a tiger even though I have very fond memories of my tiger II.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my Tsunami kit back in 2006. Still looks great. The kit i asked him about was the F-20. I think it is on his site for $76.00. He offered me one for $125.00 shipped. I passed. Don't know if he has a Tsunami.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:49 AM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up an e flight UMX Pitts S-1s WOW!! It flies much bigger and is now a favorite. It's small enough to fly just about anywhere and will do all the IMAC maneuvers with ease. I can fly it in the neighborhood and get a lot more stick time weekly. Being a kit builder at heart this is a nice addition to the hanger Kudos to horizon on this one.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You just cannot miss with an Ugly Stick of any size. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true Dave, they won't do a lot of the fancier stuff. When it comes down to best bang for the buck to go out real cheap and have a good time they are hard to beat.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 AM
mustangman177

http://spadworld.net/gallery/display...lbum=657&pos=7

My sport plane. Mig-7, Shown powered by OS 25 AX and Mousse can muffler. Updated to a 35 AX. Very Fast

Last edited by mustangman177; 06-30-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:02 AM
Left-Hand-Dan

Bump
Old 07-05-2014, 02:04 AM
Left-Hand-Dan

Very cool mig, but I don't think a lot of guys have enough coro to scratch one out, haha :P
Old 07-05-2014, 03:03 PM
ratshooter

I have to agrre with the fellows that like the Stik models. My all time favorite plane to fly was a Midwest Sweet Stik. The version with the flat wing. I made a few changes and it just became so much fun to fly. I changed it to a tail dragger. I hadn't rounded the leading edge enough and it would make sharp turns. So I stripped the covering at the leading edge and rounded the wood and recovered. Boy howdy what a difference that made. It had the single servo with bellcranks. One guy called them "slop enhancers". I didn't change that but I did add dihedral to the wing. After that it was the smoothest, easiest to fly plane I ever had. Sometimes I would just do touch and gos for a whole flying session because it was so easy to land. I even use to fly it under the socker goals just because I could.

I check EBay ever so often to see if I can find a kit. No luck so far.

And that MIG looks cool. I have a Spad Stik I really like to fly. Its almost as good as my old Sweet Stik. I need a little better motor on it than the LA 46 thats on it now.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Left-Hand-Dan

I have the stick your talking about. It bores me and lands hot because it doesn't bleed off any speed on an approach. But its fun.

The he stick might win this unofficial contest because, tho its limited aerobaticly, most just fly so well as easy its hard for even the pulse to beat it.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM
ratshooter

Dan I am not sure why you can't slow down. Is your idle too high. Try using a slightly bigger prop with a little less pitch. Try a longer approach and and slowly feed in up elevator and when you get close the ground add a little power and then drag the plane in nose high. I have done hundreds of touch and gos and this what I do when I want to land real slow.

Last edited by ratshooter; 07-05-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Left-Hand-Dan

Its a very clean airplane. Small gear and wheels. Glides as well engine off or idle. Heavy with a pretty thin wing. Sharp leading edge, almost a laminar airfoil. I have a 40fp on it swinging a 10/5.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:48 PM
ratshooter

Dan you describe a plane that sure doesn't sound like the sweet stik I had. I have never heard anyone say the wing was thin. Most remark on the usual 18% thick airfoil that has lots of lift and slows down nicely for landing. The one I built had a sharp leading edge. Cutting back the covering and rounding the leading edge sure made it fly smoother. Now any plane I build has a nice rounded leading edge.

I have a scratch built sweet stik that because of the heavy wood Lone Star balsa sent and my over bracing of the wing weighs 6.75 pounds. Three quarters pound heavier than it should. But even with a 23oz wing loading it still takes off in just a few feet and lands as slow as the GP Big Stik 40 that weighs at least a pound lighter and has more wing area.
This plane has a ST 40 on it. It will climb at about a 70 degree angle till it is out of sight.

Can you post a pic of your plane?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:54 PM
ratshooter

Also I would have replied to your post sooner except I haven't been able to log in for a day and a half. I don't know whats going on here but it sure is aggrevating to have to fight to get on this site.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ratshooter
Dan you describe a plane that sure doesn't sound like the sweet stik I had. I have never heard anyone say the wing was thin. Most remark on the usual 18% thick airfoil that has lots of lift and slows down nicely for landing. The one I built had a sharp leading edge. Cutting back the covering and rounding the leading edge sure made it fly smoother. Now any plane I build has a nice rounded leading edge.

I have a scratch built sweet stik that because of the heavy wood Lone Star balsa sent and my over bracing of the wing weighs 6.75 pounds. Three quarters pound heavier than it should. But even with a 23oz wing loading it still takes off in just a few feet and lands as slow as the GP Big Stik 40 that weighs at least a pound lighter and has more wing area.
This plane has a ST 40 on it. It will climb at about a 70 degree angle till it is out of sight.

Can you post a pic of your plane?
I agree, if the idle is too high it will come in for landing hot, something else to think about is if the airplane is nose heavy it can come in hot for landing as well, remember that 25% of the cord is only a starting point and many sport planes fly best in all scenarios balanced further aft from the leading edge like around 26% to 28%, and in some cases I have worked with as much as 33% aft with great results.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 07-07-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:08 PM
ratshooter

I don't know that its a rule that the "ultimate sport plane" has to be fully aerobatic and fly every manuver in the book to be fun. I had a GP PT-40 that I bought framed up and I covered and just had a heck of a time flying it. If the winds were dead calm I could fly it in a circle in front of me and get lower and lower till I could drag the wingtip on the ground or through the grass. I never saw anyone else do that trick. Heres a pic of that plane.

I have thought about building another just because that one flew so well. Also the Sig Senioritas I built were a lot of fun. I had a no name pattern plane that was great in the wind. Better keep the speed up though. When it quit flying it just quit.

There was a guy at the field a year ago that had scratch built a Tower Trainer 60. I am sure that was a Bridi designed plane. He flew it in some kind of pattern events and it looked just about as good as a full blown pattern plane. I have a Bridi Krafty 60 in my attic that wants me to put it together. It calls to me all the time.

The 4* 40 I had was also fun. I just didn't like that if you tried to turn using rudder it would tuck under. I use lots of rudder and have ever since I built a BUSA Cub about 1980. That plane refused to turn without rudder. But boy howdy was it fun to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S (2).JPG
Views:	1242
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2012493  

Last edited by ratshooter; 07-07-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 AM
sensei

There is no rule that you must have a fully aerobatic airplane to perform aerobatics, any airplane with enough power, enough setup effort, enough control throw, and the most important thing is enough practice with can be your ultimate sport plane.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 07-08-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:35 AM
sensei

Removed double post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.