Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Ultimate Sport Plane?

What is the ultimate sport plane??

It doesn't have to be a spacific size but most are .40-.60.
    Can be mono, bi or tri wing or canard but anything but mono is rare.

It it needs to fly, float and land like a good slow trainer but still be sporty and fast enough to give you a grin every flight!

ive had most every sport plane out there

uproar
    super sportster mono and bipe
    ugly sticks
    every trainer ever made in .40 size
    4 stars and rascals
    im sure there are more I can't think of

after flying a bud's Pulse XT I have to say that my vote is for the PULSE!!

very slow stall speed and honest throughout the flight envelope. Nice ground characteristics. Fast when you want it to be. But it will do stuff aerobaticly I would only expect one of those 3D fella's to do with a big 3Der plane!

So what's your vote? Anything out there than could give the pulse a run for its money?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Kaos, Escapade, these are both great flyers.
    bhady

My Escapade with an evo .46 was a bit heavy for its wing area. It didn't like to slow for landing but even if it had some more squares I don't think it would out do the pulse.

I loved the the kaos I had but it was limited aerobaticly. Small control surfaces but it sure did make nice lines and left hand patterns

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hanger 9 Saratoga 40 - no longer offered but something close to a mid-wing Pulse. A great float plane and superb sport model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0923_zpse8911f1d.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	1995623
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

I've wanted one but never got around to it. h9 discontinues their models way too quickly.

How is knife edge without the floats?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Pulls towards the cockpit but is otherwise pretty good. A friend - one of the best pilots I know, has a Pulse XT with electric motor and he makes it do artful things. At our float flies we do MUCH more aerobatic work than the other pilots - though there is one guy with a simple stik type model (glow) that does rolling loops and circles that just leaves me slack jawed. The Saratoga does an inverted flat spin (floats up) that is a real attention getter.

One of my favorite sport models was a Goldberg Hot Stik. It was pretty wild, LOTS of control surface, but it could do anything and was a real joy. I had split ailerons I could CROW and Harrier it in with any headwind. I smacked a tree at a winter fly at a tiny field (on skis) and it exploded. I sure miss that one.

Name:	ChiliFlyAtNeils10-28-07047.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1995625

"Sport" plane is a broad brush. I have a Giant Super Sportster that is viceless and will do beautiful, slow maneuvers at 1/3 throttle with a 34cc gas engine.

Name:	HPIM1829.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1995626

My Contender 60 is a typical sport model of the 1970's when pattern was more popular and is bulletproof. It has a wide envelope but flies "heavy" compared to modern models. But if it is windy and gusty this is the model I have no fear about taking up. OS 70II four-stroke, zero dihedral, full symmetrical, narrow but deep wing with an apron flap. I added a Fults double-strut nose wheel and the rudder is 30% larger than the plans show.

Name:	Bw71201.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	1995630

Name:	On46822_zps294d3a76.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	1995631

And I love my big, dopey Maxford Mentor-G. I fly this most of all. I have smoke, floats, big 5.5" balloon tires, flaps, oddball mixes. Just a fun test-bed and a joy to fly. The magneto Zenoah G-28 is a little workhorse. I get twelve 15 minute flights on a gallon of gasoline.

Name:	DSCN0500.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	1995628

Name:	DSCN1319_zpscbee91d8.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	1995629
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kd89857.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	1995627  
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

I love trainers. If I wasn't so impressed with the pulse my choice would be the GP avistar trainer with the semi-symectrical airfoil. What a fun plane yet still behaves as a trainer should but would roll and stall and snap/spin like a sport plane should. Very hard to find in a trainer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Its hard to beat one of the many available "Stik" models. Either in kit or ARF form they are really good flyers. Heres a picture of mine that was a Great planes ARF, that i stripped & recovered with Sig Koverall & dope. Flys really fast with that OS 55 up front, but slows down to a crawl for landings......Gene

Name:	2014.05.10.%20Jean%20&%20Stik.R[1].jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	746.0 KB 
ID:	1995726  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by gene6029 View Post
    Its hard to beat one of the many available "Stik" models. Either in kit or ARF form they are really good flyers. Heres a picture of mine that was a Great planes ARF, that i stripped & recovered with Sig Koverall & dope. Flys really fast with that OS 55 up front, but slows down to a crawl for landings......Gene
    I second this. It's hard to find a experienced pilot who has not owned and loved at least one Stik. It's not as aerobatic as some planes, but it will do any basic aerobatic maneuver with ease. It also lands as easily as many trainers.

Man it sure could be the best because the pulse couldn't take a crash very well and I know any stick can and be repaired easier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Andrews Trainermaster is the best of all time, nothing else comes close after 40+ years of flying. Pulse is pretty good in the air, but not very tough airframe. Stiks are more limited and just too damn ugly. But a good biplane is hard to pass up.
    - Supplementary insipid innocuous inane vacuous proclamation

Never flown one

pics?

One I forgot to mention is the seagull Harmon rocket. What a ride! Sweet flying bird and more aerobatic than the pulse. You couldn't land that one bad if you tried! Wish they still made them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Left Hand Dan, heres a picture of my Trainermaster....Gene

Name:	000_0001.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	1995831  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My last Trainermaster (I've had three) came in at exactly 4.5 lbs. with an Irving .36 turning a 10-5 APC at about 12K. Just enough power to do a torque roll, as long as you don't expect a vertical bail-out. Around 500 flights later it's waiting for a slight bit of rebuild, but since it is so light a typical flight was roughly 20 minutes long since most of the flight is done at half throttle. Slower is better if you do snap rolls, loops down on the deck, spins, and thousands of touch and go landing. So far it has worn out two servos (elevator one time and aileron the second time), and the engine's rod is pretty sloppy too.

They are very tough as originally designed, as mine has hit the ground a half dozen times. I fly very low most of the time, perhaps because I started 50 years ago flying control line. Brain fade drove it straight in once, two tail slides ended too low, caught a wing tip while doing horizontal figure 8's at knee level. When it lost the aileron servo, it is so neutral that I could not level the wings with rudder so another crash, wake turbulence got it the last time. It just takes hits that would reduce most models to trash, no doubt because in 1966 when it was developed, radios tended to not be very reliable.

http://lazer-works.com/misc.html

Lazer-works has kits. Great Planes own the Andrews lineup, but have done nothing with it for the last decade or so.
    - Supplementary insipid innocuous inane vacuous proclamation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The Escapade 40 is my new favorite. I made my first flight with mine last weekend and put 10 flights on it. It has excellent speed and aerobatic capability. I have an OS 46 SF on mine that spins an 11 x 6 APC prop. The Escapade is probably a better 3rd airplane, maybe not a good choice for a 2nd - it likes to land a little on the fast side, but I actually prefer that as opposed to planes that tend to float too much (like the Sig 4 Stars). I also have a Stik 40 that is kit built with a flat wing - that is a great flying plane, it has an OS 46 FX with an 11 x 7 prop - I've made 70 + flights on that one. Another great sport plane is a Carl Goldberg Tiger 2 - it's a good jack of all trades and I've found mine to fly very well in windy conditions. I actually have 2 40 size Tiger 2's, one more that is the discontinued 40 size ARF version still in the box and a 60 size Tiger 2 that I need to strip the covering from and restore - yeah, I'm a big fan of the Tigers!
    Tiger Club #71
    Glow Head Brotherhood #16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I like Sticks but for a real surprise, the Tango is one of my favorites. Looks like a trainer, but whoa! hold on! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tango 40.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1996066
    I might not be very good, but I'm fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Left-Hand-Dan View Post
    What is the ultimate sport plane??

It doesn't have to be a spacific size but most are .40-.60.
    Can be mono, bi or tri wing or canard but anything but mono is rare.

It it needs to fly, float and land like a good slow trainer but still be sporty and fast enough to give you a grin every flight!

ive had most every sport plane out there

uproar
    super sportster mono and bipe
    ugly sticks
    every trainer ever made in .40 size
    4 stars and rascals
    im sure there are more I can't think of

after flying a bud's Pulse XT I have to say that my vote is for the PULSE!!

very slow stall speed and honest throughout the flight envelope. Nice ground characteristics. Fast when you want it to be. But it will do stuff aerobaticly I would only expect one of those 3D fella's to do with a big 3Der plane!

So what's your vote? Anything out there than could give the pulse a run for its money?
    I had a PulseXT didn't think it was anything special. I have a 4-Star with a 52 4 stroke that flies identical.sold the XT. The Kaos is a better aerobatic aircraft flys smother and straighter.If you think an Avistar is a great aerobatic aircraft something is wrong. If an airplane is not set up properly prop,cg,control throws,power TX programing a good airplane will not preform. I suspect thats why you think the Avistar is great.
    Mike Burg

Quote Originally Posted by eddieC View Post
    I like Sticks but for a real surprise, the Tango is one of my favorites. Looks like a trainer, but whoa! hold on! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tango 40.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1996066
    What a cool looking plane!!!! I need to check this out. The Goldberg Ultimate will do it all and land tailwheel first at a snails pace. Probably my favorite all time 'do it all' plane. The New H9 Sbac 60 looks cool... But will it land at a snails pace.
    Bill B
    SIG Brotherhood #33
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood #109
    Piper Cub Brotherhood #200
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #126
    Club K&B Sportster
    P51 Mustang Brotherhood #200
    Chipmunk Brotherhood #3
    Balsa builder.
    IF IT FLYS .... I LOVE IT!!!! Helicopters are a new experience!
    Micro UMX to Giant

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am a big fan of the Tigers .. They are a decent looking , awesome flying plane with a few mods ..
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There can be only one... maybe two. My vote is for the Hots and the Ultrasport. Both fine models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Juno RC (Direct connection) Tsunami.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFlysAtMyClub View Post
    Juno RC (Direct connection) Tsunami.
    Nice Little plane !!, but sadly out of production. The pic is my Tsunami ready to cover ,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TsuBones.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	200115612 years ago
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood # 111
    Goldberg Tiger Club # 2
    Glow head Brotherhood # 71
    Sig Brotherhood # 61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    IS it?

The website for Juno RC still works and lists the Tsuanami 40 for sale. http://www.junorc.com/kits.html

Wouldn't mind having a 60 size though Hobby People have the VQ Taipan (US 60 clone?) http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-arf-blue.html

Also, Tower Hobbies now carries the Phoenix Models Tiger 3 ARF (Sure looks like a clone of the CG Tiger II): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBHM&P=0

Bill S.
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #56
    Goldberg Tiger Club #17
    SIG Brotherhood #69

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #135
    http://radiocontrolhobbies.freeservers.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast