Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Be Careful What You Wish For or Never Respond To A Badly Photographed eBay Advert!

In January 2012 I was feeling pretty chuffed having won two WOT 4s on eBay for about 60 IIRC, that's about $102 US or 75 Euros. The WOT 4 is a popular sports model in the UK, an excellent second model once yo0u can manage an aileron trainer.They are available in two forms: the Classic which has a paralled chord wing and the Mark 3 which has a tapered wing. These were both Mark 3s. They were just the airframes, no radios or engines and large cardboard box was duly delivered.

When I opened up the box, it contained:

• a wing finished in white wrinkled Solarfilm,
    • a complete but uncovered fuselage which had never had an engine or radio fitted to it
    • a tailplane covered either tissue or glass cloth, (how can I tell which?)
    • another wing which was more filler than anything else
    • and the biggest dog of a WOT 4 fuselage I have ever seen!

Have a look.

This fuselage, herinafter to be dubbed "The Blue One," deserves a paragraph to itself. It was once finished in dark blue Solarfilm and had been well-flown but someone had, very inexpertly, tried to cover it in a lighter shade of blue. Although it's not apparent in the photograph he must have been very heavy handed with the hot air gun because part of the rear fuselage below the tailplane had burned away. Furthermore, there was more epoxy in the nose than in my LMS and it looks as if the (missing) firewall had been retained with old lollipop sticks.

Did I have cause for complaint? Not really the seller had photographed the models, admittedly in a cellar, at night and without a flash and I had won the auction. The wing on the left was, after some deliberation, sawn up and dumped and I went back to flying my Winter Hack, a Classic WOT 4.

However, I was flying it about last summer when the engine, an Irvine 46, went on to full chat and refused to throttle back. I flew it about in big horizontal eights waiting for the fuel to run out, when it went suddenly out of control and crashed. Perhaps it didn't like the summer weather, perhaps the rx battery had suddenly gone flat, or maybe it was pilot error; my fault anyway. There was nothing left of the Winter Hack except the tailplane. That very day my mate wrecked his WOT 4 but the wing survived and he gave it to me. Thank you Ioan, so now I had two WOT 4 wings, two fuselages, three tail planes etc etc.
    Last night I was in B&Q taking advantage of the 10% discount available to over 60s on Wednesdays when a neat MacAllister cordless drill and sander package caught my eye. 35 less discount and it was mine. I pulled The Blue One" out of the the loft and got to work with the sander. It's almost ready for recovering now but I'll have to repair the fuselage where it's burned away!

As if I don't have enough to do already I am embarking on another restoration project! Most people would have finished the other WOT 4 first. There must be something wrong with me or maybe I just enjoy a challenge!
    Watch this space!
    06/03/2014 19:16:36
    sted by David Davis on 06/03/2014 17:02:41: ... the seller had photographed the models, admittedly in a cellar, at nig
    Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-15-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Sorry about the state of the first post, it was a cut and paste job from a British aeromodelling website and I'm hopeless with computers. Perhaps the mods or tecs could do something about it. Here are a few further pictures of the rebuild.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Never WOT4 Rear 1.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	331.7 KB 
ID:	2014333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Never 4.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	2014334

The first picture shows the rear fuselage where I had cut out the burned section. The second picture shows the scarfed-in balsa and the checker covered tailplane glued into place.

The following pictures illustrate different stages of the repair and the finished fuselage.

I have not bothered with this model much since March but my club is holding a Chris Foss Day on 27th July and I've been shamed into finishing the job. I plan to fit a Thunder Tiger 54 to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Never 6.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	2014335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Never Fus. 1.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	2014336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Never WOT 4 Rear 2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	2014337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Never 9.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	2014338  

I stripped the wing, repaired dents with lightweight filler, or even automotive filler where appropriate, coated the filler with Balsloc and will be using the old film offcuts which I've had kicking around for decades.

Name:	WOT4 wing (1).JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	2014719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stripped WOT 4 wing.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	347.1 KB 
ID:	2014720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stripped WOT 4 wing (1).JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	355.0 KB 
ID:	2014721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pile of film off-cuts..JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	2014722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOT4 wing.JPG 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	2014718

The first picture shows the wing prior to covering. The centre section has been covered with automotive masking tape because film does not adhere to glass.

The second picture shows the wing's underside and the third picture shows the wing resting on top of the fuselage and the engine sitting in the mount. I still need to do a little more work with the heat gun and duster to get rid of the wrinkles and I didn't do a church job of filling all of the dents but hey ho, it's only going to be a hack aircraft.

Name:	WOT 4 Wing (1).JPG 
Size:	358.9 KB 
ID:	2016227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOT 4 Wing (2).JPG 
Size:	352.9 KB 
ID:	2016228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOT 4 Wing.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	2016229

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Love the covering job, you've brought that plane back to life. Reminds me of this famous artist:

Name:	pietmondrian.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	2016246

I completed the model yesterday and ran up the engine, a Thunder Tiger 54 FS in the back garden. Maiden flight scheduled for Wednesday.

Name:	wot 4 roll out (1).JPG 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	2019761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wot 4 roll out (2).JPG 
Size:	361.1 KB 
ID:	2019762

Successful maiden today. Model required a fair bit of up trim probably due to the weight of the four-stroke engine but I was impressed by the model's ability to go vertical on a humble Thunder Tiger 54 four-stroke.

Picture of your humble servant with the model after the maiden flight.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOT 4 Maiden.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	356.7 KB 
ID:	2020759

In it's final manifestation. The phrase on top of the wing means "Winter Hack" in French! Graphics courtesy of Model Markings.

Name:	La Rosse d'Hiver.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	2021304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La Rosse d'Hiver (1).JPG 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	2021305

Merry Christmas Everybody!