Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

STICK Brotherhood!!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

STICK Brotherhood!!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:44 PM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was interested in getting a .40 sized Ultra Stik ARF, but it does not look they are made anymore. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:16 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay N410DC,
They were sold by Horizon Hobbies a while ago. All you can get now are several sizes sold by Tower Hobbies. If you over power them...look up the mods done to them to make them last. I know...I've built several.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

5skyhawk172, you're Stick Brotherhood No 46,
Old 11-16-2016, 11:58 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N410DC
I was interested in getting a .40 sized Ultra Stik ARF, but it does not look they are made anymore. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one?
The Horizon Ultra Sticks were cool because they had 4 servos on the wing for ailerons and flaps and you could program crow with a computer radio for shortend slow landings
Old 11-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Bob Paris

Hay GSXR1000,
Your correct...Ultra Sticks were not only four servo wings...but they also were built better the Towers Big Sticks. The balsa used in Big Sticks is questionable...and I have build several. You need to watch the aft part of the fuse, near where the horizontal stab meets and is set into the fuselage-on three models the balsa was so soft...I had to reinforce it. I always take 1/64th. ply and before I install the stall the stab, pull the covering off and from 3"~6" forward of the leading edge of the stab...and on all four sides of the aft end of the fuselage... reinforce this with one layer of 1/64th aircraft quality plywood. No lite ply here...use the good stuff. I also if I am going to install a larger engine on to the model, mount my rudder and elevator servo aft, just forward of the stab-This will help with the C.G. I beef up the fire wall too (Triangular hard wood) and then coat all the insides of the fuse from the firewall aft to the bulkhead where the trailing edge of the wing sets...with thinned epoxy and denatured alcohol. This may take a few days to get hard..but eventually it will harden. The wings seem to be well built...no issues here.
Soft Landing Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 11-16-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:00 PM
KiwiKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will join in too. I have three sticks - one is a classic stick done up as Moraine-Saulnier sort of thing, one is a GWS SS with a larger hot wired foam wing added and the other is a HobbyKing SlowStick, great for park flying, thermaling and indoor flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WWW1a.jpg
Views:	1997
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	2190220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tauhara 121016.jpg
Views:	1831
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2190221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hobbyking-Slow-Stick.jpg
Views:	1872
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2190222  
Old 11-16-2016, 05:22 PM
dumbthumbs

I have a few of my own. An AMR giant stick with a DLE 55, a Hanger 9 120 ultra stick lite with a saito 180 converted to run on gas, and a Hanger 9 40 ultra stick with a evolution 10cc gas. Plus a couple of arf's stashed back. So count me in

Name:	IMG_0501.JPG
Views:	2108
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	2190236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0244.JPG
Views:	2524
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	2190237   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-12-12 089.JPG
Views:	2866
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	2190238  
Old 11-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Kiwi Kid and Dumb Thumbs you are Stick Brothers 47 and 48 respectively.

Kiwi Kid, I will be building a Baron 1914 over the winter. This is a classic French trainer from the 1970s which looks vaguely like a Morane-Saulnier. I plan to add ailerons to mine and to finish it as Tone Bayetto's Morane.

I also plan to tour New Zealand on a motorcycle during the 2017-2018 northern hemisphere winter! The weather here is too depressing for words just at the moment.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:47 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
The Horizon Ultra Sticks were cool because they had 4 servos on the wing for ailerons and flaps and you could program crow with a computer radio for shortend slow landings
Indeed. This is one of the most attractive features. I cut flaps into my Tower ARF, but I would prefer a more "ready-made" solution, if possible,

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay GSXR1000,
Your correct...Ultra Sticks were not only four servo wings...but they also were built better the Towers Big Sticks. The balsa used in Big Sticks is questionable...and I have build several. You need to watch the aft part of the fuse, near where the horizontal stab meets and is set into the fuselage-on three models the balsa was so soft...I had to reinforce it. I always take 1/64th. ply and before I install the stall the stab, pull the covering off and from 3"~6" forward of the leading edge of the stab...and on all four sides of the aft end of the fuselage... reinforce this with one layer of 1/64th aircraft quality plywood. No lite ply here...use the good stuff. I also if I am going to install a larger engine on to the model, mount my rudder and elevator servo aft, just forward of the stab-This will help with the C.G. I beef up the fire wall too (Triangular hard wood) and then coat all the insides of the fuse from the firewall aft to the bulkhead where the trailing edge of the wing sets...with thinned epoxy and denatured alcohol. This may take a few days to get hard..but eventually it will harden. The wings seem to be well built...no issues here.
Soft Landing Always,
Bobby of Maui
I have also seen reports of problems with the dowel that secures the leading edge of the wing to the fuselage, on the Tower ARFs. These things have broken in the past, and more than one Stik owner has lost a plane as a result. Reinforcement of this attachment point is not a bad idea.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:11 AM
GSXR1000

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Kiwi Kid and Dumb Thumbs you are Stick Brothers 47 and 48 respectively.

Kiwi Kid, I will be building a Baron 1914 over the winter. This is a classic French trainer from the 1970s which looks vaguely like a Morane-Saulnier. I plan to add ailerons to mine and to finish it as Tone Bayetto's Morane.

I also plan to tour New Zealand on a motorcycle during the 2017-2018 northern hemisphere winter! The weather here is too depressing for words just at the moment.
Are you going to rent a motorcycle or have yours cargo shipped to NZ, I mainly ride crotch rockets and I have gone on some long trips, but if i was touring a country I would want to on a BMW R 1200 GS or R 1200 GT.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I intend to hire a motor cycle when out there. It would cost too much to ship my bike out to the other side of the world and back.

Besides I don't know whether the New Zealand government allows bikes with foreign number plates to be ridden on their roads. The Australian government does not allow it. If you turn up at an Australian port with a foreign-registered bike you have to get Australian registration plates before they will allow you into the country with it.

I'm having enough problems trying to register my British registered Triumph as a French bike but I'd been warned about French bureaucracy! A trip to Limoges 94 kilometres away (58 miles) looks to be on the cards as I need to get a "Certificate A Conformite" from the nearest Triumph agent. There I may well find myself arguing about the 100 horsepower rule which was abandoned by the French government at the start of 2016 but the agency doesn't seem to know that! Either that or they want the job of fitting the 100bhp restriction kit to my bike! It'll test my French anyway!

I have set up my transmitter (Spektrum DX9) so that I may use the Stick 1500 as a trainer. At half-speed the model flies very well at a speed which should not intimidate a beginner but very strong winds are forecast for the next few days so flying may not be possible. We may be able to go flying on Saturday when winds are forecast to diminish to 19kph (11mph.)
Old 11-18-2016, 05:13 AM
GSXR1000

I intend to hire a motor cycle when out there. It would cost too much to ship my bike out to the other side of the world and back.

Besides I don't know whether the New Zealand government allows bikes with foreign number plates to be ridden on their roads. The Australian government does not allow it. If you turn up at an Australian port with a foreign-registered bike you have to get Australian registration plates before they will allow you into the country with it.

I'm having enough problems trying to register my British registered Triumph as a French bike but I'd been warned about French bureaucracy! A trip to Limoges 94 kilometres away (58 miles) looks to be on the cards as I need to get a "Certificate A Conformite" from the nearest Triumph agent. There I may well find myself arguing about the 100 horsepower rule which was abandoned by the French government at the start of 2016 but the agency doesn't seem to know that! Either that or they want the job of fitting the 100bhp restriction kit to my bike! It'll test my French anyway!

I have set up my transmitter (Spektrum DX9) so that I may use the Stick 1500 as a trainer. At half-speed the model flies very well at a speed which should not intimidate a beginner but very strong winds are forecast for the next few days so flying may not be possible. We may be able to go flying on Saturday when winds are forecast to diminish to 19kph (11mph.)

Yeah, if you read a whole lot of my replies for planes that beginners should start on. I actually recommend a stick as a trainer for someone who is on a buddy box instructor training at a field. The stick can be trimmed trainer style and that the new pilot won't really outgrow, but can grow into it and trim it for sport flying after done using it in trainer trim.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:48 PM
ratshooter

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay GSXR1000,
Soft Landing Always,
Bobby of Maui
Hi Bob. Are you referring to the Great Planes Big Stik series? I have a Big Stik 40 and have no issues with weak wood or tail weakness. Mine is powered by a Thunder Tiger Pro 46 and it has some impressive speed to it. I did add a thin piece of ply to the fuse where the bayonet goes in to remove any play in the way the wing set on the saddle and now it is a tight fit. I don't know how you could reinforce the firewall since it has no hatch or access to the firewall.

Yes I like Stiks. My overall favorite models. I have owned several and learned to fly on a Little Stik. I have a Little Stik kit in my attic and when I build it I will color it the same as the first one built way back in 1978. My two favorite colors, orange and white.

And I need a brotherhood number please.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Ratshooter,
The last .60~.90 size stick was the problem build. Both sides and bottom of the stick balsa wood was so soft on my first run up with a RCGF 20cc gas engine...caused a wood break from the leading edge of the stab....all around the fuselage on three sides. The top piece of balsa on the aft fuselage kept the tail in one piece. I know I used a gas engine on the model...and they do shack a bunch more the two stroke glow engines. I also mounted my rudder and elevator servo's aft just forward of the stab on both sides of the fuselage. I reinforced this area with a nice aircraft class ply wood support for both servo's. My last .40 size big stick had a K&B .61 Twister mounted. Nice match for power and vertical abilities-doesn't fly through trees at all-but a great re-kit. I over power all my sticks...but its sad that Horizon no longer sells ultra stick models anymore. Horizon Hobbies made the strongest ARF ugly sticks on the market. I have back ordered the 30cc gas engine big stick from Tower and I plan on installing a VVRC twin cylinder 40cc gas engine into it-I have on hand. I will do the build here when it arrives.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Ratshooter you are Stick Brother Number 28. Post 120 on page 5 refers.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:22 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

The three 60 sized Big Stiks I've put together recently had very poor quality wood used for the front wing hold-down. I added dowels and had no further issues. I also moved the rudder and elevator servos to the back. Surprisingly, the firewall has been fine without any added reinforcement. A hard landing will break the wood at the front of the stab as mentioned by Bob Paris. I simply added some plywood on the bottom of the fuse in front of the stab.

The 40 sized Big Stik is built much better. I've been flying mine nearly stock for six years now and it is holding up fine. I made mine a taildragger and added a Macs muffler to an OS 46AX and APC 12-4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9VvKYNxWlE&t=272s
Old 11-24-2016, 07:39 AM
ratshooter

Thanks Telemaster. My first post was page 3 post #52.

Thanks Bob. I wish I could make it Hawaii to fly with you. What a great place to be.

warhwk I have watched that video several times. I think your plane has a little more power than mine. I have a TT 46 on mine but haven't rung it out like that. My Stik is on the bench right now getting ready for a sex change. No more nose wheel. A tail dragger is on the way.

One thing about the GP stik is the fuselage almost comes to a point at the back of the plane. The Sweet Stik and Little Stik both have more wood in that area on the sides of the body. I always thought the GP version looked sorta strange that way. But even the Ugly Stik is small at the tail end of the fuselage. Oh well, I guess it works.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:19 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Sign me up my Stik was the Midwest Sweet Stik with a first generation OS/Graupner Wankel .30 on it, a good .40 would have been a better choice.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Flyer! You are Stick Brother No: 49.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Flyer! You are Stick Brother No: 49.
Thank you!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:23 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have any tips on programming Crow on ultrastik Lite with a DX9
Old 12-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

PLANE JIM, you are Stick Brother No 50.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Bob Paris

Hay FlyherInOKC,
I flew a little stick with a OS. Winkel .30 back in 1972. On the little stick...a Larry Lenard kit...it flew quite well. What amazed me was the acceleration of the engine from a dead idle to full power in blink of an eye. Amazing performance. The Stick .40 is a bit larger and heavier and but with the Winkel mounted on a Little Stick...it flew ! The only problem I had was I folded the wing just outboard of the center wing sheeting. I fixed that by exchanging the wing spar balsa with stiff bass wood. Fixed the problem and loved the combination. I do have a 30 cc Big Stick back ordered from Tower...I plan on putting a VVRC twin cylinder 40 cc gas engine in this model. I also will use the model to brake in two EME 35 cc gas engines for my Giant Ugly Stick Twin I am building from AMR. I will be using electric start engines-no more flipping props to start, a Twin Sync-to keep the engine singing, 32 oz. smoke-piped to both engines, fowler flaps (via Robert Flower Flap hinges), a tail dragger too and video Cams mounted. The Fuse is built...and on the wings soon. I need 17 channels to do the deed and have purchase a new Spectrum Tx for the job...and I was told by Horizen the Tx is on the way. So this is going to be my biggest Ugly Stick of all. I have built one, two, three and four engine Ugly Sticks in my time...and love how they fly.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	028.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2192076  
Old 12-04-2016, 06:25 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Bob,
You got any video of your Tri-Stik flying? That looks like a real hoot!!
Old 12-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Bob Paris

Dear Warhwk,
I wish I did...but I lost the model when I lost bind in flight....with new Tx. I sent in my Tx and found out it had an issue from its production run...but I was never told about the issue, because it was out of warrantee. I lost three models before I realized I had a problem with my Tx. I had three .32's on board and let me tell you...it was a very, very fast model. It went in full throttle into asphalt. There was nothing left of the model but scrap...with all three engines damaged beyond repair and all radio gear trashed. The bump on the top of the starboard wing root is a cover for the throttle servo body. It flew great and I managed to get about 25 flights on it, until it went in hard.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.