Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

STICK Brotherhood!!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

STICK Brotherhood!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Daan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Gizmo-RCU, hsukaria, Daan and Desertslakesflying, you are Stick Brothers 52, 53, 54 and 55 respectively.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:30 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Thank You! Always have a Stick or two around. My one and only is a 120 size U/S lite, obtained nib from an estate. Had to re-cover after a year due to heat damage. The plane had been stored in a Calif. storage facility thru many hot summers (about eight). I put a VVRC 20 cc on it, very nice combo. I am on my fourth year with a few minor repairs here and there. Sweet plane! Would have the new version if needed...........
Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts
Smile

At about 12.15 on Saturday morning the phone rang. It was my mate Gerard who said that they were all up in the club house waiting for me. I had forgotten that it was the "gallette du rois." A "gallette du rois" is a cake, mostly marzipan and choux pastry which is eaten in France at this time of year. It commemorates the arrival of the three kings to the baby Jesus. Each cake has a small figurine in it and if you get the piece with the figurine, you are the king and get to wear a paper crown! However, my club being what it is, the gallette du rois is an excuse for a five course lunch and all the wine you can drink! There are disadvantages to living in the middle of France, but the risk of starvation if you are a member of Berry Marche Modelisme is not one of them! French cuisine may be divided into two parts; "haute cuisine" consists of complicated recipes using expensive ingredients; the other section is the traditional food of the peasantry, the poor even. Our meal was decidedly in the second category! We had noodle soup, pate, a "pot de feu" consisting of boiled beef and boiled mutton, leaks, carrots and potatoes, a cheese course and the gallette as a desert, all washed down with a pretty acceptable Cotes du Rhone! I was in no pain at all when the cheese arrived and I got talking to Pascal who is a forty-something novice but unusually for a Frenchman a Mode 2 pilot. He explained that he'd flown in the past and that he'd mastered a drone, but he'd always crashed fixed wing aircraft. I offered to teach him on one of my own models the next day, i.e. Sunday 22nd January.

I sorted out three models to use with my buddy box; a Telemaster 66 which I'd revived, a high wing foamy electric powered thing called a WOT 4 Foam-E and the Stick. I turned up at the flying field and tried to get the engine in the T66 to start but it flooded all of the time. I've had the engine going in a test stand but not in the model. It was very cold and I began to hope that Pascal would not turn up but he did with his wife in tow. She looks about sixteen years old to me, no wonder he's so slim! Having given up on the Telemaster I tried the WOT 4 Foam-E but that wouldn't work either, it appears that I've lost the binding, so I dragged out the Stick. This is powered by an Irvine 46 which runs well but is difficult to start from cold. However, it started after a few turns on the starter and with everything checked I took off with Pascal on the buddy box. We had a long flight, he did very well, a bit unsteady perhaps but I only had to intervene once or twice. I posted above that a Stick would make a good trainer now I've proved it!

As I was leaving I saw Gerard talking to another new member, Ludovic. Apparently he has learned to fly on simulators and he's Mode 2 as well. So from being virtually the only Mode 2 pilot in the club, I now have two novices to teach.

C'est la vie as they say over here.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Telemaster,
I built the Telemaster 66 in Alaska one winter back in the 80's. I wore out two K&B .28 Sportsters on that model...and after 20+ years of service, installed its third engine...an old OS .30...and gave the model away. Best flippen model I ever had. Flew with wheels, ski's and floats. Never missed a beat...and a joy to fly. I have built two different style models most my life....Ugly Sticks and Telemaser's. I have built German kits, I believe mostly.... and several sizes, up to and including the Sr. All kit built and a great design. Just like the Ugly Stick...predictable. I do have the twin Telemaster on back order... : ) I've wanted to do this for decades with the Telemaster...a twin.. : ).

My new Horizon 35cc Ugly stick is paid for and back ordered. That airframe will get a twin cylinder 40 cc VVRC gas engine. I have had the engine for almost a year now and I had it in a F6F....pulled it for an Ugly Stick. The F6F is no longer with the living.

You French...I got to hand it to you....your food is suburb, your wine is very good...and your champaign, the best.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm not French. I just like living here!

Pictures of my Telemasters and Stick attached. The Telemaster 40 is no longer with us but I still have the wing!.

This is what happened to the T40 in the end.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhapsody in blue!.JPG
Views:	1456
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	2197810   Click image for larger version

Name:	STM (1).JPG
Views:	1467
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	2197811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stick 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	1479
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2197812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele 66 (Small).jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2197813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Team Telemaster increasing size of models decreasing size of modellers.JPG
Views:	1613
Size:	4.22 MB
ID:	2197814   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIP T40 (1).jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2197815  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-23-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Telemaster...
If your not a frenchman...then what are you...English?

I have been to England...flippen to darn cold. If you can spit and it bounces...its to cold... : ) New years eve...1997. Now these folks know how to party... : ) Never seen so many happy drunks in my life.

I live in the tropics...when it gets down to 65 deg. F...folks put on coats.... ! I did two winters flying for Alaska airlines flying mail on a D.H. Beaver on floats...it was S.Central Alaska...but still flipen cold.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 02-17-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes Bob I was born and raised in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, the county town of England's most rural county, also England's largest inland county. I retired to La Creuse in 2015 partly because the weather is warmer but it's only about 35F at the moment. I find these temperatures cold but they're not a patch on Alaska! I spent a few years in Australia and never really re-acclimatized!

The houses are really cheap here. I've just bought a three bedroom house with a 4000 square metre garden and a workshop for 63,300€ which is just under $68,000US or £54,000 Sterling. It needs a bit of work but that will keep me out of the bars! The reason for them being so cheap is that many of the young people move away to find work, or at least to find a better job. This shows in the population statistics. The Commune of Lourdouiex St Pierre where I live consists of over seventy villages and hamlets. In 1968 the population was 1425. In 2008 it was 844. I received a magazine from the commune a few weeks ago which amongst other things explained how they had spent out local taxes. On the first page of the magazine they listed the names of all of the babies that had been born in the commune and and the names and dates of all of the people who had died. There were five babies and twenty-five dead people.

I know my countrymen like a drink, I'd be a much richer man myself if I were tee-total! I suppose it compensates for the awful weather.

Happy Landings.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stiks never go out of style, Horizon comes out with there 30cc Ultra Stick on backorder; and Seagull came out with their 10-15cc Stick for international folks towards the end of last year, and now looks like it will finally be hitting US distributors.

The stik will always stand the test of time when it comes to rc planes.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:24 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
JATO on a Stick?

OOPS!
that looks like a pulse jet, that would be on till the fuel flow is stopped or ran out.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:12 PM
dvines

scratch building a giant stick is my ryobi 31cc too small? plane weights in around 12-18 pounds
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvines
scratch building a giant stick is my ryobi 31cc too small? plane weights in around 12-18 pounds
I had a 16 lb Giant Big Stik on a 52cc FTL (Turnigy) engine and it was just enough power for unlimited verticals. I suspect that your ryobi 31 will be give limited performance if the plane comes out that heavy. If you want to just putz around then maybe it would be enough power.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Dvines,
From what I have read, the Ryobi 31 is not the strongest 30cc gas engine in the pack...but if you manage to build a stick at the weights you suggested, it will fly the airframe. It all depends on your flying style...and what kind of vertical presentation your looking for. But for a nice sweet flying stick...keep your weight under 15 lbs. and you will be happy with the performance.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 PM
hsukaria

I just finished assembling and modifying a VMAR Vstick 40 that I purchased NIB from J330. I converted it to a taildragger and rotated the engine to 45 degrees from upright. I need it to be a taildragger because of the field I fly off is a bit rough. Rotating the engine allows the installation of different engines with longer mufflers (tuned mufflers, pipes...) It also lowers the carb level closer to the tank level. I used a Dave Brown one-piece engine mount. I had to install the main gear far forward because the structure won't allow installation further aft than what the picture shows. I just installed the gear backward to bring the wheels closer to the wing leading edge. The main gear is from an old Sig 4 Star 40. The tailwheel installation was quite tricky because the tail bolts down and the rudder is already installed to the vertical fin. But I got that figured out. I am starting with an old OS 46SF for power. It came out balanced right at the forward range for CG. I can replace the aluminum spinner with a plastic one when I decide to move the CG aft.

Total weight is around 4.5 pounds. I hope to maiden it this Sunday.

Name:	125.jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2201606  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Hsukaria,
I found when I make a model a tail dragger to place the center of the wheel axle, right even with the leading edge of the wing for best ground handling. The picture you showed us of you model...is a bit for ward of this. It may be work just fine for you but if the model seems to be a bit sensitive to ground handling...I would suggest you move the landing gear aft so the axle lines up with the leading edge of the wing.
Enjoy....
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-17-2017, 05:27 PM
airborn900
My Feedback: (25)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Count me in here, I have a 40 and 60 superstick and a Goldberg wild stick with a g26... can't beat a stick. My wild stick is my go to airplane.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:31 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay Hsukaria,
I found when I make a model a tail dragger to place the center of the wheel axle, right even with the leading edge of the wing for best ground handling. The picture you showed us of you model...is a bit for ward of this. It may be work just fine for you but if the model seems to be a bit sensitive to ground handling...I would suggest you move the landing gear aft so the axle lines up with the leading edge of the wing.
Enjoy....
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
That was as far back as I could install the main gear with the way the structure layout. If the present location is too far forward, I will have to find another landing gear bracket the slants backwards more than the one I have installed now.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Airborn900 you are Stick Brother #56.

The weather in central France was very cold in January at least by French standards with frozen lakes and streams. There was little wind however, and I used the Stick to give flying experience on the buddy box to a Mode 2 novice who has just joined the club. He could manage a drone so he wasn't too bad with the Stick and I didn't have to intervene much. After one long flight we retreated to the club house for a coffee as it was really very cold. This guy is a forty something civil servant. His wife looks about sixteen to me. No wonder he's so slim!

Most Frenchmen are Mode 1, throttle right, elevator left, and recently I've been using the Stick to train a Mode 1 pilot who has some experience but who has never quite got the hang of flying. He has to concentrate a great deal which means that after ten minutes his flying becomes a bit ragged but he's making progress and gaining in confidence. We all went through that process. He has a nice big Graupner trainer with an OS61 engine in the club's workshop, which he's putting into serviceable condition, it's a bit battered but I look forward to seeing it fly.

I use a Spektrum DX9 transmitter and my old DX6i transmitter as a buddy box for Mode 2 pilots. For Mode 1 pilots I have access to an old Mode 1 Spektrum DX5 transmitter. I've managed to work out how to rig up the DX6i wirelessly but I still have to use the cable to buddy up the DX5. With two other Mode 2 novices likely to join the club, I have been made up to "Chief Flying Instructor (Mode 2)" and have been given a new ARTF trainer, something called a "Primary 40." No I'd never heard of it either but it's the usual four channel high wing monoplane with a tricycle undercarriage. I have contributed a red Irvine 40 and a receiver the club will supply all of the other components.

The tail wheel failed on my Stick on Wednesday. My ARTF Stick 1500 is built down to a price, (99€) and I've replaced most of the original components like the main wheels, the undercarriage and the clevises, but the basic airframe is sound enough. I substituted the original cheap plastic tail wheel with one with an aluminium centre and soldered a nut and washer into place to retain it.

The weather is forecast to be unseasonably warm and calm this weekend, 13C or 56F, so the Stick is up in the spare bedroom being charged up for the day's activities. I am going to a charity dinner tonight where the wine and bonhommie will flow so if I survive that, I'll go flying on Sunday too. If the weather is as warm as predicted I may even get the big Barn Door Wing Senior Telemaster out as seen in Post 205. It's a nice model but takes an age to rig and de-rig.

Finally, nothing to do with Sticks but I replaced the Merco 35 in my SWB Telemaster 66 with an Enya 40 SS. It runs like a Swiss watch, I'm becoming quite a fan of Enya engines. Can you see any other differences in these two pictures? Happy Stick flying and happy landings gentlemen!

Name:	Tele 66 (Small).jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2201658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spot the Difference (Small).jpg
Views:	1389
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2201659  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 02-17-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Buddy,
Let me see...the teamster 66 looks like it was new in the first picture...and in the second picture, she has been well flown and enjoyed. Now as the the man in the picture...well the first picture he looks fresh and ready to fly...in the second picture...well he looks like he was rode hard and put a way wet...more then a few times in his life... : )...all the grey hair came from sweat, tears and hard work...and maybe a wife or two.

I fly mode 2 and flew Kraft gear until 1984 when Kraft was no longer in production. I went over to Airtronics and fly both the 10G and RDS8000-great radio's. I just purchased my first Spectrum system, a 20 channel Tx & Rx for a AMR Giant Twin Ugly Stick kit I am building.

The fuse is built (87" [220.98 cm] long and modified from the kit)...and now into the wings. I need all the channels for electric start EME 35cc gas engines (7 channels), auto pilot, Smoke, Twin-Sync, duel elevator servo's and one channel for each flight control. Its a big model, with a 106" wing span (2.6924 meters). It is my largest Ugly Stick to date...but looking forward to the first flight. Its the AMR 50cc single engine model modified to a twin and a rather expensive U-build kit. The kit today is in excess of $720.00 (U.S.) just for the kit and you still need to pay for shipping and then assemble the kit. Its a computer-laser cut kit and the wood quality is excellent. The build so far had few issues, but went together ok.

I did pre order the Horizon 35cc Ugly Stick ARF...and that to me was a great price. The AMR 30cc gas engine Ugly Stick cost 499.99 and you have to build it too. So at less then $300.00 (U.S.) shipped to Hawaii as an ARF, to me was to good to pass up. Besides...I have a nice VVRC twin cylinder 40cc gas engine to install on to the Horizon ARF. Nothing like a little extra horse power for a strong vertical climb.

Have a great day...
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-18-2017, 03:42 AM
latinRClover

This is worth mentioning : a Valentine's gift to all Stik lovers (maidened on 2/14/2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUbWkJq4Zbw

Last edited by latinRClover; 02-18-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:27 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

A really neat Stik! What did you do to protect the bottom of the aircraft from the heat?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:13 AM
latinRClover

Sorry no idea: is not mine I just found it on the tube today ....
Old 02-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Bob Paris

OK Guys,
This is getting way out of hand...I've seen one, two, three and four engine sticks....biplane sticks...low wing sticks...canard sticks and even pusher sticks...but never a turbine stick.

Some folks have way to much time on their hands...! Wow...that is amazing...a jet powered stick... : )

Ok...what on earth is next, in the stick world ?

Have fun guys.....
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-19-2017, 05:55 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Well Phil Kraft wanted the most versatile design he could come up with and judging from what we have seen people do with his basic design I think he would approve!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:55 PM
dvines

Did the orginal Midwest 60 size ugly stick have balsa wing ribs or lite ply? Did it use rubber bands to hold the wing on ?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Bob Paris

Dear Dvines,
If my memory serves me right...I believe all the early Midwest Sticks used rubber bands to hold down the wings, and were 100% balsa. My little sticks all had rubber band wing hold downs and used hard wood dowels to do the honors. It seems to me that not until the late 80's or early 90's did plastic hold down screws become more popular.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.