Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Gas or Glow

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Gas or Glow

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:59 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My point was that if you can afford a mega buck servo, $25.00 for fuel shouldn't be an issue.

I would not use cheap servos in a $3000.00 model either, but again, if I can afford 3 grand for a model, I can afford glow fuel.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wish I could get Sig fuel by the case without paying the "Hazmat" shipping fee!!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:21 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Mix your own fuel. The biggest expense is the oil, but no hazmat charge for shipping. Methanol is only $3 to $4 a gallon, which you can always buy locally. So nitro is the only component that will hit you on hazmat. But if you run 5 to 10%, a gallon of nitro makes 20 to 10 gallons of fuel.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:12 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been meaning to start doing this; I just have to source the methanol. I figure Klotz techniplate oil, methanol and nitro is all I need. Best method is to measure by weight, not volume- correct?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 AM
HighPlains

No, do everything by volume. Unless you know exactly the difference in specific gravity for each ingredient, and have very accurate scales, volume gives the correct percentage. A long time ago one or two fuel guys were selling fuel mixed in percentages of weight. That resulted in fuel that was low on both nitro and oil.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Having switched to gas about a year ago, I find that I prefer gas over glow engines. Now that their are more manufacturers making many large and small gas engines, you are sure to find one to fit your airframe...As far as the complexity goes, if one is used to glow engine set-ups, going gas does have a learning curve, but it is by far NOT complicated. There are more positives to switch to gas than there are to stay glow in my opinion...

One thing that I have always enjoyed about this hobby is the willingness of others to help and show you how to do things, I would suggest finding someone that has made the conversion (to gas) and have them help you out.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 AM
jdmachinery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attn Highplains, Am interested in your sources for methanol.
A quick number crunch indicates the cost of homebrew fuel at: 5% requires about $6 of syn/castor (Sig mfg), about $2 in nitro (Torco) , and since Ive only been able to source pure methanol in 5 gallon pails for $50 (Nelson Paints), its $7 worth of methanol, total cost is $15 per gallon. This is still on par with commercial hobby shop fuel…but still expensive.

Will you kindly advise your sources of $3 methanol. I cant seem to find it hat low here in Metro Chicago land

$3/gallon for methanol will drive cost down to around $10 per Gallon which is economical for me. Given the lower cost of glow engines, the simplicity of glow engine installation, the many, many glow engines most of us have already purchased, & that good aroma of burning glow fuel Ive known for over 50 years, I really want to make my own fuel!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:46 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Call around to a few hot rod auto parts stores, they will have methanol or know where to get it.
2. Call VP Fuels, Same folks that make Powermaster Glow Fuel. They provide methanol to hot rod shops and will know who the VP Racing fuel dealer is in your area. Methanol from my local speed shop is about $2.50 per gallon but you have to bring your own container.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 PM
HighPlains

The guys that race sprints and modified cars on dirt tracks all around the country buy methanol by the barrel. My niece's husband told me last week he was buying 11 drums (54gallons each) for the coming race season. One thing that comes in handy is buying a 5gallon jug to store the methanol in. Most race shops sell them for about $20 or so. Under $4 a gallon is the going rate.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 PM
HighPlains

I've been converting old gallons of 65% Powermaster fuel down to 10% sport fuel. I had 5 or 6 gallons of the stuff still in the metal cans (I quit racing Formula One pylon in 1993), and have had zero problems in spite of the age of the fuel. The stuff just does not go bad when sealed up. There is a bit more math involved, however sometimes you can find a can of high nitro fuel that been in the hobby shop forever and buy it cheap.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 PM
HighPlains

Inflation, VP jugs that hold 5 gallons are $30 now. Well made and worth the money.